The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-28-2022, 07:31 AM

When Pete Seeger was adding a new song, he would tape a page with the lyrics to his mic stand until he had them memorized. Worked for him.
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Mmm... I've only been singing with guitar for 3 years now and I have 25 to 30 songs that I can just pick up guitar and play / sing. So I can't see 40 to 50 being a problem over time. But I had deliberately decided from the get go to work on learning songs by heart. I've worked in a band where the lyrics folder was on a stand, and just didn't want to go down that root myself.

I can't remember Paul McCartney flicking through a folder at Glastonbury last weekend. And that was a long set. And he's 80.
The older I get, (65) the more I need the aid.

back in "the day" when I was gigging a lot, I needed nothing. The band I was in was together close to 20 years, we had over 250 songs we could do any time, any where, we had no charts or lyrics

Now,, hmm, age has done it's magic. I carry a song list of around 150/165 songs.

I'll play about 40/45 or so, maybe more depending on the gig.

I do carry a book with be, which use for about 15% of the songs.

I can get by just fine with the rest, but for the ones I can't it's just about a glance now and then unless it's an outlier and I've not done it for a long time.

my point really is,, form the first song of the night to the last, to remember every one, with out aid,, at my age,, I can't quite get there.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 06-28-2022 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-28-2022, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Funny. In this day and age, I see loopers, voice chorusers, doublers, pitch shifters and backing tracks or bass adders. Even full recorded music and beats for rappers. BUT a lyric sheet is bad, very, very bad.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-28-2022, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Funny. In this day and age, I see loopers, voice chorusers, doublers, pitch shifters and backing tracks or bass adders. Even full recorded music and beats for rappers. BUT a lyric sheet is bad, very, very bad.
But not quite as bad as having a cutaway on an acoustic guitar.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-28-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
so, you are going to remember everything regarding the 45 / 50 songs you'll play in a 3 / 4 hour gig?

all the words?
all key changes?
all chord changes?

good luck with that.
Pro tip: it's not luck...

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-28-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Pro tip: it's not luck...
I've only been playing for 50+ years, so yes, I need your advice so thanks..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 06-28-2022, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

my point really is,, form the first song of the night to the last, to remember every one, with out aid,, at my age,, I can't quite get there.
Ray, you have way, way more experience than me. And play way, way more songs.

I have sort of deliberately chosen to play without prompts. It is a style choice, nothing more. I like the freedom. It certainly will limit what songs I play of an evening. But I don't really mind that limitation. It is how I have chosen to approach my guitar playing.

When I sing with the local Welsh MVC I use the 4 part music score at most concerts.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-28-2022, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Ray, you have way, way more experience than me. And play way, way more songs.

I have sort of deliberately chosen to play without prompts. It is a style choice, nothing more. I like the freedom. It certainly will limit what songs I play of an evening. But I don't really mind that limitation. It is how I have chosen to approach my guitar playing.

When I sing with the local Welsh MVC I use the 4 part music score at most concerts.
Robin, I think it's good to not have the dependency,

I guess these days I don't "gig" enough to keep all that stuff in the front of my head.

it's all good.. no one ever told me they would have enjoyed my sets more if I didn't have music stand off to the side somewhere

it's all about what works for us as individuals. nothing more really

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 06-29-2022, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Just dawned on me. Heads up display glasses with scrolling lyrics would fill the bill and look cool in the process Maybe Elton was on to somethin'

Just imagine showing up at the Blue Grass festival

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-29-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
so, you are going to remember everything regarding the 45 / 50 songs you'll play in a 3 / 4 hour gig?

all the words?
all key changes?
all chord changes?

good luck with that.
Yes, I do. I've been doing it for several years. Luck has little to do with it, other than some of us for whatever reason don't have as much difficulty as others. Just because you don't doesn't make it impossible for everyone else.

Deliberate practice, lots of repetition, specific preparation all play a role. At almost 59 years old and my general level of fitness I'm pretty sure I'll never run a 4 minute mile. But that doesnt mean others, some older than I, can't do it.

Last edited by Mandobart; 06-29-2022 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2022, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Yes, I do. I've been doing it for several years. Luck has little to do with it, other than some of us for whatever reason don't have as much difficulty as others. Just because you don't doesn't make it impossible for everyone else.

Deliberate practice, lots of repetition, specific preparation all play a role. At almost 59 years old and my general level of fitness I'm pretty sure I'll never run a 4 minute mile. But that doesnt mean others, some older than I, can't do it.
Oh I think it is entirely possible to memorize a gigs worth of songs and maybe some older players are still able to so . I did in my 30's-40's - and into my 50's.
Now at 72 not so much ....For me the turning point (if I am remembering correctly now always questionable ) was age 64 ,, maybe the Beatles were on to something
Now what the heck are the chords to "When I'm Sixty Four" again ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write