The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-27-2022, 10:21 AM

Default Tone question

Hello all,

I have a guitar that sounds metallic or maybe twangy. I am not sure exactly how to describe it. It's a Martin 000 special. My question is what causes this sound? It there a way to lessen the metallic sound?

Maybe to help understand what I am talking about I found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqSd_3ca7YU&t=507s

You can hear a comparison at 10:40 for the GS mini and 11:55 time stamp for the Martin. The Martin has the metallic tone I am talking about. Any comments are appreciated

Thanks
Kevin
Old 06-27-2022, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

there are a few things possibly at play.
Short scale, light strings sometimes sounds this way to me, My short scale guitars have 12s or 13s. I find I prefer the tones of medium gauge trebles.

other factors:

Action almost too low? Not enough neck relief? Nut grooves too constricted? not enough break angle off the saddle? Fret wearing on the primary position frets…
Old 06-27-2022, 12:40 PM

It's hard to tell on the video through a microphone that sounds like it has some reverb or other effect on it.

First suggestion would be to try different strings, maybe something phospor bronze and play them for a couple hours. New strings tend to sound metallicy and twangy to me. Also make sure action is high enough that strings aren't rattling against the frets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair