The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-28-2022, 05:02 PM

Default New Guitar

Well, i got my Yamaha C40II today, and I’ve been playing it all afternoon. I like it more than what I had before, but it still makes mistakes. I’ve been playing some scales and chords, and replaying some old exercises to get usta it. It feels pretty good though. I think I’m gonna like it.
Old 05-28-2022, 05:36 PM

Congrats…. New guitars are always exciting and fun….

Daniels - Bedell - Guild

"Tomorrow is promised to no one"
Old 06-11-2022, 09:39 AM

Enjoy!! Can't go wrong with the Yamaha C40... make some vids for us

Best Flamenco Guitar Costing Under 1000 ?! Juan Montes vs Navarro
https://youtu.be/7D08ZEY4-5s

Flamenco Arpeggio Falseta (lesson with TABS)
https://youtu.be/ZIZPllPFTTs

www.youtube.com/francisgrant1
Old 06-11-2022, 11:13 PM

Congrats on the new Yamaha! How's the action out of the box?

My 13-year-old C40 is right beside me and it still gets as much play and practice time as my more expensive guitars. I remember that it was supposed to be my travel guitar, my beater guitar, my go-to-lessons guitar, and my learn-to-do-your-own-maintenance guitar.

Well, it became all that but I think it ended up also becoming one of my best and most reliable guitars. It now sports a classy set of Der Jung tuning machines and a compensated bone saddle that I carved.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:49 AM

Hi, Coast Strings, I like the C40 pretty well, but the action does seem kinda high and a bit noisy. It didn’t seem so at first, but I dunno . . . mebbe it’s just me. I’m new to guitars and just learning both them and CG. I have a coupla Tenor Guitars, but, of course, they’re not the same at all.

Right now, I’m workin’ on basics. I’m self taught, and I’ve got some stuff to unlearn. It’s comin’ along, but relearning’s a struggle.
Old 06-12-2022, 07:52 AM

Fraz, thanks for the post, but I’m an old-newby, and it’ll be a while before I post any samples of my work.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:25 AM

Hi, I’m looking to buy some extra strings for my new Yamaha, but I don’t know what brand to buy. I usually get Aquilas for my non steels, but I want something else this time.

Also, I need to know the difference between Hard, light and normal, and any other info that’s needed to buy strings.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:34 PM

What strings are on your guitar now, and what don't you like about them?

D'Addario EJ45 (normal) or EJ46 (hard-ish) are useful and reliable reference sets, even if they don't end up as your final choice. I use most of the EJ45 set, myself.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:24 PM

Hi, Carey, I use and like D'Addario strings a lot on my steel strung instruments, but I use Aquilas on the nylon ones. I don’t know what’s on my CG since it’s new.

I don’t really have any complaints with ‘em. I’m a new guitar player, and don’t know enough to have complaints, but I always like to have some extra strings on hand. Thanks for the info. I need all I can get.

Why are CG strings called “Hard”?
Old 06-25-2022, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picking Dick View Post
Hi, I’m looking to buy some extra strings for my new Yamaha, but I don’t know what brand to buy. I usually get Aquilas for my non steels, but I want something else this time.

Also, I need to know the difference between Hard, light and normal, and any other info that’s needed to buy strings.
@Picking Dick

For a long while, Savarez CJ500 were my goto strings. They are the stock strings with Cordoba guitars. In my humble opinion, they are a small step up from D'Addario Pro-Arté options. Not by much mind you, but it's just a few dollars more per set.

I've recently changed over to Pepe Romero PEPESR. Those are not expensive (relatively speaking), but a bit more than the Savarez CJ500s, and I find I like the Pepe Romero's more. They are...mellower in my opinion, and have better string-to-string volume balance. I think they work well with a cedar top, and when you're playing alone (not competing to be heard).

I can recommend either Savarez or Pepe Romero strings.

As for hard/high, medium, or light strings, it's about tension. In steel string terms, it's similar to light or heavier gauge strings. Hard/High tensions typically has more volume, but sometimes less sustain, sometimes less nuanced expression. Light typically has less volume, less tension (easier on the fingers), and can be easier to add expression. However each guitar can react to varying tensions differently (opposite to what I wrote in some cases), so...one really does need to experiment. I tend to go with normal to high/hard, pending my instrument and mood.

Hope your string journey is a fun one. I still experiment quite a bit too, because...you'll never know if there's a better set for your unless you try them out.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Default New Guitar

In my limited classical guitar experience, HT (high tension) and MT (medium tension) are a bit manufacturer dependent.
Some call 93 lbs medium others hard.

My CG ships (not mine, it was used) with RC Sonata SN 10 MT strings at 93 lbs but with a notable G (3rd) string a good 5 lbs greater than the others. I haven’t actually tried these.

Other brands seem more balanced.

I have Hannabach 815 MT on now, also about 93 lbs. they took forever to settle in and open up but after 3 weeks, I really like them.

When I got it it had used Savarez AR500 or something. Lower (still medium) tension at about 85 lbs. Also nice, but the G was a bit thumpy.

Changing tension did not change relief or action.

I have some Savarez Cristal Corum 500CJ (HT, but also 88 lbs) and Curt Mangan MT (85 lbs) to try some time.

There are mixed sets of all these and others as well, with MT bass and HT trebles. Also, lots of folks on the Decamp forum talk about creating their own mix.

So complicated. Pick a few reasonable sets and find something you like. Thread after thread of what CG string is best for this or that guitar etc. is not helpful. It is like getting a book to raise a child. If you aren’t the author, it is not about your child.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical