The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-08-2022, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

So I finally changed my strings! (I hate changing strings). I ended up putting on a set of Elixir phosphor bronze nano web light's. I also changed the saddle out to the low saddle, it lowered the action a little but not much. The Sable's come with medium gauge strings and when I bought the guitar the store sent me a 3 pack of the light gauge Elixir's. So those are the one's I put on. I have to say I really like them too. I'm thinking I'll stick with those with my Sable.

happy pickin,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 06-08-2022, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

One simple task folks here with McPherson guitars might consider is filing the nut slots just a small amount. This makes a big difference in ease of play on the first couple of frets.

I learned this with my Taylor guitars and the McPherson feels and plays so much like my Taylors that it just seemed a logical thing to do - and it worked just as well. It only takes a small amount. Too much and you will get string buzz.

It might be advisable to take the guitar to a trusted tech or luthier. I learned by watching and asking questions from mine as he did that to some of my other guitars. I posted more about this and lowering the saddle a bit in another post some time ago, but these posts get lost in the flood of new posts over time, so I am simply mentioning it again here.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-08-2022, 06:08 PM

Tony,
It was time for the Sable to have new strings and I didn’t have any mediums, so I tried the HD lights 80/20’s and I do like them, thank you!
Old 06-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
Tony,
It was time for the Sable to have new strings and I didn’t have any mediums, so I tried the HD lights 80/20’s and I do like them, thank you!
Excellent! I am glad these worked for you.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 06-08-2022, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

My nut slots seemed to measure right where they should be, I don't doubt your methods though! Just because my nut was correct doesn't mean your s was. But my saddle was pretty high, even the low one. I purchased another saddle from McPherson and took it down quite a bit lower than the "low" one supplied from McPherson. It is the easiest playing guitar I have or have ever played. The CF is VERY stable.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
My nut slots seemed to measure right where they should be, I don't doubt your methods though! Just because my nut was correct doesn't mean your s was. But my saddle was pretty high, even the low one. I purchased another saddle from McPherson and took it down quite a bit lower than the "low" one supplied from McPherson. It is the easiest playing guitar I have or have ever played. The CF is VERY stable.
It is also possible for nut slots to be right where they should be and still be able to go lower without causing buzzing.

What I am referring to is not at all negating your point, but instead this comes from my experience of bringing a guitar to a decent guitar tech who will watch me play and adjust my guitar according to what s/he (I go to both men and women guitar techs) determines is right for the way I play.

It was a real eye opener when I learned how much more playable a guitar can be with a very slight adjustment to the nut slots. All of my guitars have had this done - except the two extra McPhersons that I keep factory standard. The other two I can hack away on.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber