The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 AM

Default Grreat guitars no matter how you slice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
My son played my padauk/lutz 000 over the weekend. After a few minutes he looked at me with a big smile and yelled "This is an awesome guitar!".

He's not the most experienced player...but he's the only other person who's played it so far and it was good to get another opinion about it.

I started raving about Halcyons as a beginning guitarist. At times I've felt like my raves might be hurting the brand based on my lack of experience and knowledge. Years later I'm still a beginning guitarist, but I've realized that Halcyons are so good, that even a beginning or novice guitarist can hear it ... it's that obvious and dramatic. Congrats on an excellent guitar !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 07-14-2016, 10:42 PM

I'm getting ready to join this club. I'm just finalizing the details with Ed. It's exhilarating, to say the least. Then the long wait begins.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:06 AM

We could use more Halcyon threads and posts. It helps to control my urge to order a third. If I did it would be EIR/Sitka NL Rosewood fingerboard and bridge. My last Larrivee would have to go and that would be a tough decision.

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM

You should definitely order a third and keep them all.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Ed is a top class enabler

I am now officially on "The List" for a Lutz/Walnut NL-00.

Now that that one's ordered, time to start thinking about my next Halcyon, eh, Ed? Is that how it works?
Old 07-15-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Hmm the new GA looks interesting.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:41 PM

So, barring a return, I am no longer a card carrying member of the Halcyon club. It's funny, this guitar thing. I finally get what people say when they say "I just didn't bond with it." I had enough people play it and love it to know that it was more of a "it's not you its me" type of thing. It was 98% of what my brain was craving. That last 2% was simply personal preference.

It was all of the things that a halcyon is billed to be: feather light, impeccably crafted, resonant, and loud. I feel privileged to have had my hands on one for a time, and I'm really excited that the new owner is super excited to get it.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this and I'm not quite sure why. It was a privilege working with Ed and I'll be pulling for his and RJ's continued success.

Fender Mexican Tele
Samick C4 Nylon
Mom's Mexican street vendor nylon, Pre 1970
Old 07-19-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T268 View Post
So, barring a return, I am no longer a card carrying member of the Halcyon club. It's funny, this guitar thing. I finally get what people say when they say "I just didn't bond with it." I had enough people play it and love it to know that it was more of a "it's not you its me" type of thing. It was 98% of what my brain was craving. That last 2% was simply personal preference.

It was all of the things that a halcyon is billed to be: feather light, impeccably crafted, resonant, and loud. I feel privileged to have had my hands on one for a time, and I'm really excited that the new owner is super excited to get it.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this and I'm not quite sure why. It was a privilege working with Ed and I'll be pulling for his and RJ's continued success.
We will look forward to the inevitable "regret" thread did you get good resale value?

Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 PM

Things don't always work out like you thought. You like what you like. I've got #164 on the way (NL-00 Lutz/Black Walnut), but Ed is having trouble sourcing the proper case.

Whachagonnado?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (71.4 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed2.jpg (83.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg unnamed3.jpg (31.1 KB, 98 views)
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

Last edited by bayoubengal; 07-21-2016 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:33 AM

There's a Guardian case which is designed for a deep body 00. They are pricey up here in Canada, but I'll probably bite the bullet on one eventually for my NL-00.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
There's a Guardian case which is designed for a deep body 00. They are pricey up here in Canada, but I'll probably bite the bullet on one eventually for my NL-00.
Ed likes one made by Godin that he can get for around 125 CAD. You may want to check it out!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 AM

The Guardian case fits quite nice but they're very difficult to come by. We usually go with Godin TRIC Folk size, but Godin is on summer break.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
The Guardian case fits quite nice but they're very difficult to come by. We usually go with Godin TRIC Folk size, but Godin is on summer break.
I see. So if I find one, I should grab it? Of course, then I have to work out how to get it to you for sometime next spring

Both my dad and my brother use TRIC cases and, while I think the concept is a neat idea, I'm not entirely convinced. They don't give a lot of room for carrying extras like a gig bag does, although they do serve well as a protective case. For my J-45, I have a Crossrock deluxe gig bag that I use when I want to take it somewhere with accessories (stand, music stand, iPad and other knick-knacks), while at home or for more dangerous travel, it lives in its more protective hard case.

Also, the folk TRIC wouldn't be quite as good of a fit as the Guardian, right?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:54 AM

Therein lies the rub of course. Shipping an empty case to me adds quite a bit of cake to the price of the case, whereas usually I can get the TRIC cases without extra shipping costs through a big box.

While the hardshell fits exactly, the TRIC fits pretty well, while also having the advantage of back straps and at least a little external room for widgets, lower price, and greater availability. So that's what we usually go with.

If you decide to track down a Guardian and ship it to us, that's also totally ok...
Old 07-20-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Therein lies the rub of course. Shipping an empty case to me adds quite a bit of cake to the price of the case, whereas usually I can get the TRIC cases without extra shipping costs through a big box.

While the hardshell fits exactly, the TRIC fits pretty well, while also having the advantage of back straps and at least a little external room for widgets, lower price, and greater availability. So that's what we usually go with.

If you decide to track down a Guardian and ship it to us, that's also totally ok...
Sounds good. My searching has revealed that Amazon.ca carries Guardian cases, so I could conceivably order one and have it delivered to you over there, rather than shipped to me here in Toronto.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop