The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-14-2019, 07:26 PM

Default Keep a Squier Jazzmaster?

I won a red Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster in an online contest. never won a contest before, so that's nice. However, I'm not much on red or electric guitars. Plus, I now need an amp, cable, and a gig bang. No stores will take a Squier on trade, even if brand new. My wife says I should keep it, that's it's karma that I won it. She says to lean into it and learn some songs on it, put new pickups on it, paint it, do whatever.

So, what do you think? What would you do? Also, what kind of amp?
Old 12-14-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
I won a red Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster in an online contest. never won a contest before, so that's nice. However, I'm not much on red or electric guitars. Plus, I now need an amp, cable, and a gig bang. No stores will take a Squier on trade, even if brand new. My wife says I should keep it, that's it's karma that I won it. She says to lean into it and learn some songs on it, put new pickups on it, paint it, do whatever.

So, what do you think? What would you do? Also, what kind of amp?
Donate it?
Old 12-14-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

Not a bad guitar by any means. Cables are cheap. I would pick up a Boss,katana 50 for a couple hundred and just have fun making new sounds with it.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:10 PM

If it’s a prize, and your wife likes it, you don’t have to play it, and if you appreciate the California 50’s/60s Fender style, it’s an example of 20th century American art history. Also a well rated model for home use. On a stand in the lounge it might catch the eye. Amp: Fender Blues Junior
Old 12-14-2019, 08:51 PM

I say try it, you might like it!
Old 12-14-2019, 11:23 PM

The dark side (electric) offers just as much if not more opportunity for GAS than acoustic. If I didn't already have an electric rig (and a son who plays much better than I ever could), I'd look for a deserving local student who could use an upgrade.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garthjmoore View Post
...So, what do you think? What would you do? Also, what kind of amp?
  • I think you're one lucky dude...
  • I'd start learning how to play it - very different technique, requires more control and nuance (especially if you're going from fingerstyle to pick) - leave the finish alone (red is an - if not the - iconic Fender color), and don't mess with the pickups until you've gotten some experience under your belt and know exactly what you want in terms of tone...
  • One of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tube-combo-amp

Everything you need and nothing you don't in a home-practice/coffeehouse-gig amp: WYSIWYG gain/volume/tone (play it raunchy or play it clean - your choice, without having to scroll through several hundred programs), best built-in digi-verb I've heard to date, built-in power attenuator (5W/1W/0.1W) that'll let you drive the amp harder without excessive volume, a headphone out (so you can do your best death-metal licks at 3AM without P.O.'ing your wife/neighbors/cat), and if you do a search here on the Electric subforum you'll find a good number of highly satisfied owners; simply put, you're not going to find this much tube tone in an easy-to-use combo for anywhere near the price, and no matter where your electric journey takes you it'll never become obsolete...
Old 12-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Keep it. The Vintage Modified Squiers are very good guitars on par with the classic vibe series. I own 2 VM Squiers and they get gigged regularly.

Steves suggestion is a good one on the Bugera V5. Small but loud. I would also consider the Orange Micro Terror paired with a 10" or 12" cab. Much more versatile tones than the Bugera and loud enough to gig with. I have both and prefer the Orange but the portability and plug 'n play aspect of the Bugera is fun.. The Boss Nextone is very versatile too for a SS amp. Many people here like the Katana, but I'm not a huge fan.

Get an amp, cable, multi FX unit and get ready to have fun.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-15-2019, 09:53 AM

Keep it! Awesome guitars, great pickups. I liked the sound of mine so much I had a Warmoth neck made for it so it would feel just like my Tele (my tele also has a wide/fat Warmoth neck)

Here I am, playing through a tiny Roland Microcube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Keep it! Awesome guitars, great pickups. I liked the sound of mine so much I had a Warmoth neck made for it so it would feel just like my Tele (my tele also has a wide/fat Warmoth neck)

Here I am, playing through a tiny Roland Microcube.

Great playing & feel. Squiers are in a completely different league than most of the similarly priced competition, some of their necks are spectacular, and at their lower tiers make for the best modding platforms “the wood is good”, bar none. Their Jazzmaster is pro grade, from all I’ve seen and heard.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

I have a VM Jaguar, which I absolutely love. I’m sure I’d be equally happy with a VM Jazzmaster, especially for free
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-15-2019, 11:47 AM

I don't like red guitars either. But I'd keep it and enjoy the heck out of it.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Great playing & feel. Squiers are in a completely different league than most of the similarly priced competition, some of their necks are spectacular, and at their lower tiers make for the best modding platforms “the wood is good”, bar none. Their Jazzmaster is pro grade, from all I’ve seen and heard.
That was nice, especially the part around 1:23.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:48 PM

I bought a Jazzmaster MIM. It’s on loan to a friend who loves it. Keep yours.

Cheers from Bakersfield.

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-15-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 12-15-2019, 02:33 PM

I second the Bugera V5 recommendation. It's plenty loud and has a built in attenuator so you can play at 5, 1 and .1 watt levels. Hard to beat the price and value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars