The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 05:12 PM

Default a tale of two warranties

I've long been a fan of the Hercules guitar / speaker stands. I've also owned a zoom H5 audio recorder for a number of years.

While using one of my hercules guitar stands (I own 3 different hercules guitar stands as well as 2 of their speaker / pa stands) I noticed the plastic grip was getting sticky. When I went online there was plenty of discussion including comments about getting it replaced under warranty. Then the spring detent broke out completely from the grip and the stand was unusable.

I contacted the local dealer who insisted he needed a receipt. Which I didn't have and finally got in touch with the national distributor (Australia) who advised me the lifetime warranty didn't apply in Australia and was willing to look at it anyway but insisted I needed a receipt. My explanation that a guitar stand that cost me well under $100 wasn't something I saved receipts for. Their attitude was surly at best and downright rude at worse and I decided to not bother proceeding and also swore I wouldn't by their product again. Their products are not the cheapest around but I do quite like them.

A few months later I noticed the plastic covering that goes all around my zoom h5 recorder had that same sticky feeling. The recorder still worked well so I got on line and noticed a few tips of how to deal with it. Tried a couple to no avail and then got onto the zoom support link to ask if they had tips.

My zoom is at least 3 years old at this stage and they have a 12 month stated warranty. After my disappointing dealings with Hercules, imagine my delight at getting an email from zoom with a return authorization number and an explanation that they will replace it once they can have a look at the unit. A few weeks later I got a completely brand new unit from zoom. They never asked for a receipt.

I can assure you I know which company I'll deal with again and which one i won't.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:19 PM

I suggest you contact Hercules direct http://herculesstands.com/international/contact/
Every USA based company I've ever dealt with has given excellent customer service - it's something they pride themselves in.

Make sure you have the correct model name/number and take pictures too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-27-2020, 05:27 PM

I share the same experiences with Zoom. I had a broken device that was out of warranty, and they said they couldn't repair it, but they sold me the successor product super cheap. They just sent me a battery cover for an out of warranty Zoom H4N Pro. They are also quick and concise with technical support queries.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
I've long been a fan of the Hercules guitar / speaker stands. I've also owned a zoom H5 audio recorder for a number of years.

While using one of my hercules guitar stands (I own 3 different hercules guitar stands as well as 2 of their speaker / pa stands) I noticed the plastic grip was getting sticky. When I went online there was plenty of discussion including comments about getting it replaced under warranty. Then the spring detent broke out completely from the grip and the stand was unusable.

I contacted the local dealer who insisted he needed a receipt. Which I didn't have and finally got in touch with the national distributor (Australia) who advised me the lifetime warranty didn't apply in Australia and was willing to look at it anyway but insisted I needed a receipt. My explanation that a guitar stand that cost me well under $100 wasn't something I saved receipts for. Their attitude was surly at best and downright rude at worse and I decided to not bother proceeding and also swore I wouldn't by their product again. Their products are not the cheapest around but I do quite like them.

A few months later I noticed the plastic covering that goes all around my zoom h5 recorder had that same sticky feeling. The recorder still worked well so I got on line and noticed a few tips of how to deal with it. Tried a couple to no avail and then got onto the zoom support link to ask if they had tips.

My zoom is at least 3 years old at this stage and they have a 12 month stated warranty. After my disappointing dealings with Hercules, imagine my delight at getting an email from zoom with a return authorization number and an explanation that they will replace it once they can have a look at the unit. A few weeks later I got a completely brand new unit from zoom. They never asked for a receipt.

I can assure you I know which company I'll deal with again and which one i won't.
If you haven’t replaced the stand, do yourself a favour and get one of these:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/70076/G...itar_Stand.htm

Incredible product. You will not find a more stable stand.

Assuming Hercules doesn’t do right by you that is...If they don’t, they deserve what they get...so far they are running from their product problems...they deserve to be punished...I’m pretty harsh...If you put a product out and claim you will stand by it do so. Otherwise, be prepared to wear the blow back...I had heard about these problems when researching a stand that would be appropriate for my nitro finished guitar...It was a known problem with those Hercules stands...well known...which makes it all the more annoying they are trying to get you on a technicality like not having the receipt, not being the original owner, etc...Be responsible for your garbage product. Period. This will retain your customer and get you more. So short sighted to treat you the way they did.

As was suggested, perhaps dealing with the US headquarters will get you somewhere...

Good luck
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-27-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I suggest you contact Hercules direct http://herculesstands.com/international/contact/
Every USA based company I've ever dealt with has given excellent customer service - it's something they pride themselves in.

Make sure you have the correct model name/number and take pictures too.
I did contact them and was referred to the Australian distributor.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How long ago?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-27-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
I'd probably contact them again, let them know the Aussie distributor is useless and you'll never buy another Hercules product again.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-27-2020, 06:25 PM

It was about six months ago. Nothing about my interactions with them makes me feel like chasing them further. Esp given the contrast that happened with zoom. I waited quite some time before posting the story so I wouldn't be accused of reacting in anger.

You can tell more about a company when things go wrong. Being easy to do business with is important. Zoom gets it. Hercules has no idea.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
It was about six months ago. Nothing about my interactions with them makes me feel like chasing them further. Esp given the contrast that happened with zoom. I waited quite some time before posting the story so I wouldn't be accused of reacting in anger.

You can tell more about a company when things go wrong. Being easy to do business with is important. Zoom gets it. Hercules has no idea.
They may have changed their thinking in these pandemic times...who knows...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-27-2020, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, they replaced mine, no questions asked, when it became sticky. I hope they extend that excellent service worldwide. Best of luck to you!

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 05-28-2020, 02:28 PM

What a great experience with Zoom.

I have numerous Hercules wall hangers and floor stands. They're great. I no longer use one of the stands because the handle is sticky and I am aware of the threads that discuss this.

Earlier this week, I went in my guitar closet to get something out and it was there ... and still sticky. I haven't contacted Hercules yet but will once covid settles down.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:43 PM

Hercules stands went through a period when the problems you mention were rampant. Some were replaced promptly and some fell through the cracks. I had one of those.

When I wanted a replacement I bought another Hercules.

Many companies, great companies, have periods when a supplier of a particular part, paint, etc., fails that company.

They make a much better product today and in the few years I've had my new Hercules (3-guitar) stand, it's been trouble free.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion