The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

check instore stock(call and ask a sales engineer), schedule an extra day from your visit and stop over to Sweetwater and play a couple of each of whatever you want to check out-and you'll find a few others probably as well. you live once, take a day for yourself and find that right guitar. a day at sweetwater is like a week long vacation for yourself!

d
Old 05-27-2020, 06:29 PM

If you fly to Chicago to visit your daughter Chicago Music Exchange usually has a lot of Martins in stock and would normally have D41's and D42's there. I doubt they would have multiple samples of each since those are high end guitars.

If not Chicago I'd go to Gruhn in Nashville as they have quite a large stock of Martins.

In either case call first to make sure they have what you are looking for, but those 2 stores would be good places to start.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Are there places right now where it's business as usual? Not sure I'd walk into one. I live in an area of nice stores. I can't recall seeing more than one D 45 ever, unless they happen to have a used one.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-30-2020, 01:47 AM

PV wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
...I live deep in rural Mexico, where there are no good guitar stores and where acoustic steel string guitars are not very popular.

I'm thinking of buying a Martin D41 or D42, and I want to play some. So I thought that I'd go to Chicago and visit my daughter. Surely there would be stores in that big city that had them. But when I called around, I was told several times that the only way I could play one was to order it, pay for it, and then play it when I arrive, because they don't stock them! If I didn't like it, I could return it before leaving the store.

So, what do I do? Do I have to go to the Martin factory to play a few of their more expensive guitars?
These are strange times, PV, obviously. But I might be able to help a little bit.

I've been living in Alaska since late 1982, but prior to that I spent a few years making my living playing Irish music in the Irish bars of Chicago and the Midwest. The one person in Chicago that I've always kept in touch with since is a gentleman named Terry Straker, who owns a nice music store in Evanston, just north of Chicago, called The Guitar Works:

The Guitar Works

Not only does Terry run a good business, he's one of the most gifted guitar repairmen that I've ever met. He was a real godsend many times when I was gigging around Chicago. Plus he's just a really nice guy.

He's also a longtime Martin and Collings dealer, and he's the gentleman that I decided to order my Martin Custom Shop 00-21 through a few years ago.

Terry and I are both originally from western Missouri, and so while it's not quite as though I was referring you to a cousin, it's the next best thing. He and I both speak with the same slight Southern twang and both try to help folks out.

So if you call the store and ask to speak with him, you can tell him that Wade from Alaska recommended that you talk to him. Terry is older than I am and is semi-retired, but prior to the pandemic was coming into the store two or three times a week. That schedule is known by his employees and they can tell you when he's available.

Since I haven't spoken to Terry or his staff since before the pandemic I don't know their current status, but unless he shuttered the place and cleared out all the stock I'm pretty sure that you can work out a time to come by without having to promise to buy something first.

Please understand that since I haven't spoken with them I can't promise that, but I will definitely talk to Terry on your behalf.

I have Terry's personal cell number but am not going to give that out online. The number for the store is (847) 475-0855, and their website is:

https://www.guitarworksltd.com/

Okay, I just read what they have right there on the homepage, which is:

Quote:
Guitar Works customers - as of 05/01/20, the state of Illinois has approved curbside pickup for non-essential businesses so we can continue to serve you! We will be "open" from 11-4 Mon-Fri (10-4 Saturdays) to take your phone orders and repairs, and offer shipping or safe, secure curbside pickup and drop-off. Please understand, NO customers will be allowed in the store for any reason. Please be respectful and safe - clean your instruments and disinfect case handles before dropping off repairs, and be wearing a mask when you approach the store. We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone not wearing protective gear. Stay safe, and give us a call! We're here to serve you! - Guitar Works, LTD
So Terry might not have the legal flexibility to let you in the store. It's possible that he might be able to bring a guitar or two for you to test on the sidewalk, but I can't guarantee even that. So the resistance you've been getting from these other stores is undoubtedly a reflection of their legal liability during these unsettled times.

Here's what I can promise: I will call Terry on his cell and talk to him about this. He'll tell me what I can tell you, and then I'll come back to this thread and post what he said.

If you click on my user name you can send me a private message, and if you reply I can send you my email address, which will make corresponding about this much faster and more efficient by using email, rather than waiting for the other person to log on to the forum to see whether any private messages are waiting.

Here's another option: Alaska, where I live, has one of the lowest Covid-19 infection rates, and so our retail stores have recently been allowed to reopen provided that they follow proper procedures. Now, the Martin dealer in town wasn't open a few days ago when I went into a business across the street, but I know that music store owner, too. Plus a few miles away there's a Guitar Center that also carries Martins.

I am perfectly willing to scout these stores (if I can get in) and see whether they have any D-45's or other "40 Series" guitars. I'm happy to play a few for you and give you my frank and forthright opinion on the musical merits of those guitars. That assessment of their qualities will be helped if you can describe your playing for me.

If you're reluctant to rely on the judgement of a complete stranger, that's perfectly understandable. But I'll help if I can and if you will let me. I won't handle any money or carry out any transactions - that'll be entirely up to you. But I'm happy to look around for you.

So please let me know what you think, at your convenience.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Make friends with other hi-end guitar owners and attend luthier shows. That's my MO.
Greg
Old 05-30-2020, 09:49 AM

Default How do you find high-end models to play?

Living/working in a major city all my life, it wasn't too difficult locating those sweet-sounding, jaw-dropping beauties - new, vintage, and everything in between - everyone drools over: just a matter of knowing where/when to look (not always the obvious places BTW) and how much you're willing to spend...

I also have some nice guitars...
Old 05-30-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvfederico View Post
Most here recommend that when you are shopping for a new guitar, you should play several of the same model to find the one that is best for you. However, that isn't always possible. I live deep in rural Mexico, where there are no good guitar stores and where acoustic steel string guitars are not very popular.

I'm thinking of buying a Martin D41 or D42, and I want to play some. So I thought that I'd go to Chicago and visit my daughter. Surely there would be stores in that big city that had them. But when I called around, I was told several times that the only way I could play one was to order it, pay for it, and then play it when I arrive, because they don't stock them! If I didn't like it, I could return it before leaving the store.

So, what do I do? Do I have to go to the Martin factory to play a few of their more expensive guitars?
Great question my friend!

If that level of instrument is in your sights then you might want to make a vacation stop in Nashville. There are several stores there that may have a 41, 42, or 45 in-stock.

Ignore the nonsense about paying for an instrument you haven’t played unless that’s ultimately your ONLY option. Doing it that way is a little like taking your kids to look at puppies. There’s little chance to properly evaluate the instrument against other examples of the same model, which is the only way to pick a winner.

Edit: TN is open for business BTW.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-30-2020, 03:00 PM

Thanks to all for the advice! I'm especially interested in the store in Evanston. My daughter graduated from Northwestern, and would probably love to drive me up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
PV wrote:

These are strange times, PV, obviously. But I might be able to help a little bit.

I've been living in Alaska since late 1982, but prior to that I spent a few years making my living playing Irish music in the Irish bars of Chicago and the Midwest. The one person in Chicago that I've always kept in touch with since is a gentleman named Terry Straker, who owns a nice music store in Evanston, just north of Chicago, called The Guitar Works:

The Guitar Works

Not only does Terry run a good business, he's one of the most gifted guitar repairmen that I've ever met. He was a real godsend many times when I was gigging around Chicago. Plus he's just a really nice guy.

He's also a longtime Martin and Collings dealer, and he's the gentleman that I decided to order my Martin Custom Shop 00-21 through a few years ago.

Terry and I are both originally from western Missouri, and so while it's not quite as though I was referring you to a cousin, it's the next best thing. He and I both speak with the same slight Southern twang and both try to help folks out.

So if you call the store and ask to speak with him, you can tell him that Wade from Alaska recommended that you talk to him. Terry is older than I am and is semi-retired, but prior to the pandemic was coming into the store two or three times a week. That schedule is known by his employees and they can tell you when he's available.

Since I haven't spoken to Terry or his staff since before the pandemic I don't know their current status, but unless he shuttered the place and cleared out all the stock I'm pretty sure that you can work out a time to come by without having to promise to buy something first.

Please understand that since I haven't spoken with them I can't promise that, but I will definitely talk to Terry on your behalf.

I have Terry's personal cell number but am not going to give that out online. The number for the store is (847) 475-0855, and their website is:

https://www.guitarworksltd.com/

Okay, I just read what they have right there on the homepage, which is:

So Terry might not have the legal flexibility to let you in the store. It's possible that he might be able to bring a guitar or two for you to test on the sidewalk, but I can't guarantee even that. So the resistance you've been getting from these other stores is undoubtedly a reflection of their legal liability during these unsettled times.

Here's what I can promise: I will call Terry on his cell and talk to him about this. He'll tell me what I can tell you, and then I'll come back to this thread and post what he said.

If you click on my user name you can send me a private message, and if you reply I can send you my email address, which will make corresponding about this much faster and more efficient by using email, rather than waiting for the other person to log on to the forum to see whether any private messages are waiting.

Here's another option: Alaska, where I live, has one of the lowest Covid-19 infection rates, and so our retail stores have recently been allowed to reopen provided that they follow proper procedures. Now, the Martin dealer in town wasn't open a few days ago when I went into a business across the street, but I know that music store owner, too. Plus a few miles away there's a Guitar Center that also carries Martins.

I am perfectly willing to scout these stores (if I can get in) and see whether they have any D-45's or other "40 Series" guitars. I'm happy to play a few for you and give you my frank and forthright opinion on the musical merits of those guitars. That assessment of their qualities will be helped if you can describe your playing for me.

If you're reluctant to rely on the judgement of a complete stranger, that's perfectly understandable. But I'll help if I can and if you will let me. I won't handle any money or carry out any transactions - that'll be entirely up to you. But I'm happy to look around for you.

So please let me know what you think, at your convenience.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-08-2020, 07:40 PM

Default Music city

Go to Nashville. A few great stores there with amazing guitars.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:05 PM

You'll find more of what you're looking for in the biggest music cities of America, Nashville, New York, and Los Angeles.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion