The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I have owned my H12 (Adi/mahogany) for about four months. As a relatively new guitar player, but long time musician, I know what sound I like from my instruments. And the FB gives me that in spades. As others have noted above, the volume of sound from that mid-size body is remarkable. Moreover, the balance between bass and treble is perfect. It still befuddles me that a box that generates such power in the low frequencies is as sweet, delicate and resonant in the trebles. I have only played a few guitars in my life but feel that I struck gold with this one. Even more so than the Adi/mahogany M version that I test drove.
But even as my ear is well-developed, my fingers, well, not so much. But, even here, the FB does not disappoint. The 000 size feels thoroughly natural against the body and under the arm. As if it disappears - unlike my Bourgeois Slope D which never lets you forget what you are holding. Similarly, the 25" fret board and 12 fret configuration are in perfect balance, ergonomically. For someone new to the guitar, this is immensely important. Progress is stifled if you have to fight the fit, or constantly adjust to get comfortable. The action on mine is remarkably low, but with no hit of fret buzz or intonation issues.
Finally, the fit and finish of my guitar is exemplary. It is the perfect design and execution for someone drawn to elegant simplicity. The curly maple, Honduran mahogany, ebony and Adi top work together, esthetically, like a carefully chosen outfit. There is restrained cosmetic bling on my guitar; an abalone rosette, the FB headstock inlay, fret dots and back strip. But it is a uniquely rich looking instrument. The visuals emphasize the woods, the careful juxtaposition of wood color and pattern and mirrored finish. I have images of mine which I can put up if you are interested in seeing what the mahogany looks like. It is unlike any other I personally have seen.
They say there is "magic" built into those boxes. And I believe it. But buy at your own risk. You may find that those custom jewels you have on order may just find more case-time than you had planned.
David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 05-27-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I have owned my H12 (Adi/mahogany) for about four month... the volume of sound from that mid-size body is remarkable. Moreover, the balance between bass and treble is perfect. It still befuddles me that a box that generates such power in the low octaves is as sweet, delicate and resonant in the trebles.

...The 000 size feels thoroughly natural against the body and under the arm... Similarly, the 25" fret board and 12 fret configuration are in perfect balance, ergonomically. For someone new to the guitar, this is immensely important...

... I have images of mine which I can put up if you are interested in seeing what the mahogany looks like. It is unlike any other I personally have seen.
They say there is "magic" built into those boxes. And I believe it. But buy at your own risk. You may find that those custom jewels you have on order may just find more case-time than you had planned.
David
Okay, David, you need to ask FB for some commission bonus here! The way you describe H12 seems like the sweet spot for me, esp. in terms of the dimensions of the guitar "disappearing" vs. bigger guitars along with everything else.

Would love to see some pics of your H12 of course!
Old 05-27-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
Both of my Frogs are Adi/Braz. I used to own an H12 in Adi/Hog. (BTW, Brazilian Rosewood and Mahoghany are Michael Millard's two favorite tonewoods.) As much as I loved the Hog backed Frog, I was missing the overtones in the end and ultimately waited for the right Braz backed Frog to come my way.
I just noticed the braz p12 Eddie's had is now gone... did you snag that?

Was super impressed with its tones, was thinking about grabbing once I got another job.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latestyle View Post
Okay, David, you need to ask FB for some commission bonus here! The way you describe H12 seems like the sweet spot for me, esp. in terms of the dimensions of the guitar "disappearing" vs. bigger guitars along with everything else.

Would love to see some pics of your H12 of course!
LOL. If M. Millard had to flip a finder's fee to everyone who recommends his boxes, he would not have time to make guitars. Maybe that is why he is retiring...will have to check that out.
Fact is that I just fell into the 000 size by accident. When you sit in a chair that is just right, you forget about the chair. That is how the 000 is the Goldilocks size for me. And the 12 fret/short scale as well, which I have in a Huss and Dalton that I just got last week. It feels right, just like the FB, and my Larrivee 000-40RE Custom, which is 12 fret but standard scale. I have been very fortunate to find all these instruments used, and very competitively priced, but in virtually new condition. I "had" to have a Dreadnaught, so I got the Bourgeois Slope D (made in my home town). I will be putting it up for sale because, for me, as a singer song-writer, the 000 size just seems just right.The SD is just not appreciably louder, or in a useful way, than my 000's. I have read that the elongated 000 body and strategic placement of the bridge on the sound board allow the design to swing above its weight. I believe it. So the best of all worlds. Big sound in a smaller, more comfortable body. Bingo.
I'd be happy to post some pics for you this evening when I get home.
Enjoy the quest!
David
Old 05-27-2020, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

I used to have a FB H-12. It was fantastic. I sold it because it overlapped too much with my other guitars but I loveD every bit of it. It now belongs to another AGF member. If my Franklin OM wasn’t as good as it is, the FB would be a lifetime guitar.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
...the 12 fret/short scale as well, which I have in a Huss and Dalton that I just got last week. It feels right, just like the FB, and my Larrivee 000-40RE Custom, which is 12 fret but standard scale... I have read that the elongated 000 body and strategic placement of the bridge on the sound board allow the design to swing above its weight... Big sound in a smaller, more comfortable body.
Size-wise, that seems ideal because I can't imagine playing the SJ everyday. I need a comfort animal I also like that the 12 frets are stretched over 25" and not 24.x. Looking forward to the pics of your beauty, David!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I used to have a FB H-12. It was fantastic. I sold it because it overlapped too much with my other guitars but I loveD every bit of it. It now belongs to another AGF member. If my Franklin OM wasn’t as good as it is, the FB would be a lifetime guitar.
Thanks, Jimi. Just curious about your assessment of H12 vs. your Franklin OM.. also see that you have a Borges, which I'd also heard pretty much uniform raves about.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...Thanks, Jimi. Just curious about your assessment of H12 vs. your Franklin OM.. also see that you have a Borges, which I'd also heard pretty much uniform raves about.
Yes I am quite fortunate. I have two Franklin German/Brazilian OMs as well as a Borges OM-18. The Borges is simply an incredible guitar. It is so good that it made me sell my 1933 Martin OM-18 when I got an offer I couldn’t refuse. I also have a Borges OM-38 that will hopefully be arriving sometime this year. The Franklins and the Borges are somewhat different as Julius Borges has a tone very similar to a vintage Martin OM, whereas the Franklins are a little bit richer with more overtones. The Franklins being richer are somewhat in between the Borges and a 000-12. The 000-12 is a unique tone. I have that base covered with an Italian/Cocobolo Sexauer 000-12c and a Sitka/Brazilian Roy McAlister 000-12. The Sexauer is mindbendingly good. It has the warmth that envelops you and a lushness that only a 000-12 can give. Being a 12 fret 25.4 scale it does well in lowered tunings. The McAlister is even more lush and is 25.25” scale, so even more warmth.

The FB was every bit as good, but the Franklin and Sexauer are just that bit better for me. I’m sure it’s also that the Adirondack/EIR was just a bit drier than the Brazilian or Cocobolo. EIR is just not as complex. So it’s no fault of the FB. I think the FB sounded very much like a 1926-1929 000-28. Those old Martins were Brazilian but Martin’s vintage Brazilian tone is not nearly as complex as the current day luthiers are making. That’s where Julius Borgeous stands out.

Finally, I have a Bill Tippin OM that is his salmon crate Sitka over EIR. The salmon crate Sitka is incredibly tight grained and ultra stiff and sounds much more like a vintage Adirondack. So as an any collection there tends to be overlap. I had the EIR tone covered with the Tippin, the 12 fret 000 covered with the Sexauer, McAlister, a 12 fret mahogany Martin 000, and the Sexauer/Franklins covering the lush end of the fingerstyle tones. Ultimately, the Sexauer and the Franklins are what I reach for when I want a Rosewood tone. The FB sold very quickly. The McAlister and Tippin are both on consignment at TNAG, Nashville.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:

He began investigating Froggy Bottom guitars and had these questions:

1. H12 vs. H14 besides the obvious difference in # of frets?
2. Anyone try the new R12/R14? Looks like FB version of Nick Lucas... How do they compare vs. A12?
3. P12 - come on, it's really too small, right?

Any thoughts? #askingforafriend
cobwebs in my head....

I recall that the H12 actually had a slightly longer body than the H14. Kind of like Mike stretched the H14's upper bout to reach out to the 12th fret. So in that respect the H12 felt like a slightly larger guitar. Tone wise both guitars that I played had the same tone woods, the H12 had a sweeter / fuller sound. Not sure what the outcome would have been had the tone woods been different.

My old P12 was the ultimate couch potato guitar. I've owned a handful FBs over the years and still have a FB Model M (Adi / EIR). When I first heard of Froggy Bottom Guitars, most of the reviews / accolades where focused on the P12. That's where it all started for me. So I will probably end up going full circle and going back to the P12, more for comfort than volume or tone.

Tommy
Old 05-27-2020, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

The H12 is my favorite of all 000 and OM guitars that I've owned or played. I can't comment on the newer Nick Lucas style models. Froggy voicing does well with the 12 fret bridge position. I've owned D12 and F12 models as well as the 14 fret variants and I've preferred the 12 fret models every time.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-27-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I think the FB sounded very much like a 1926-1929 000-28. Those old Martins were Brazilian but Martin’s vintage Brazilian tone is not nearly as complex as the current day luthiers are making. That’s where Julius Borges stands out.

...Ultimately, the Sexauer and the Franklins are what I reach for when I want a Rosewood tone.
Interesting, interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommieboy View Post
My old P12 was the ultimate couch potato guitar. I've owned a handful FBs over the years and still have a FB Model M (Adi / EIR). When I first heard of Froggy Bottom Guitars, most of the reviews / accolades where focused on the P12. That's where it all started for me. So I will probably end up going full circle and going back to the P12, more for comfort than volume or tone.
Thanks, Tommie! I did have in mind such an intimate instrument but had wondered whether P12 or other parlors might sacrifice too much of the dynamics or low-end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
The H12 is my favorite of all 000 and OM guitars that I've owned or played. Froggy voicing does well with the 12 fret bridge position. I've owned D12 and F12 models as well as the 14 fret variants and I've preferred the 12 fret models every time.
Thanks, SuperB23! I'm actually curious about F12 as it compares with H12, both tonally/dynamically and playability. With shallower depth, F12 should be an easier lift than my Collings SJ, but probably suffers compared to the H12. What's the advantage of F vs. H, then?
Old 05-27-2020, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Let me get this straight: you are thinking of getting a froggie to tide you over until a couple of other (presumably even more august) guitars are made?

I have no thoughts on the questions that you asked but all I can think of is, what an awesome place AGF is!
Old 05-27-2020, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
Let me get this straight: you are thinking of getting a froggie to tide you over until a couple of other (presumably even more august) guitars are made?

I have no thoughts on the questions that you asked but all I can think of is, what an awesome place AGF is!
Remember, he was "asking for a friend...."
I want friends like that. Too.
David
Old 05-27-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
He began investigating Froggy Bottom guitars and had these questions:

1. H12 vs. H14 besides the obvious difference in # of frets?
2. Anyone try the new R12/R14? Looks like FB version of Nick Lucas... How do they compare vs. A12?
3. P12 - come on, it's really too small, right?

I don't think the P12 is too small at all. It's a wonderfully balanced instrument. My, even smaller, Froggy L Deluxe is one of my two primary instruments. I play it for everything from solo finger style to bluegrass.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 05-27-2020, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
The H12 is my favorite of all 000 and OM guitars that I've owned or played. I can't comment on the newer Nick Lucas style models. Froggy voicing does well with the 12 fret bridge position. I've owned D12 and F12 models as well as the 14 fret variants and I've preferred the 12 fret models every time.
As endorsements go, you cannot do better than a categorical one by Bobby.
David
Old 05-27-2020, 10:16 PM
Charter Member

It’s true what’s been said about the P12 being a Parlor and as such, is still limited by physics. But dang...it pushes the boundaries to otherworldly. I am Not a fan of small guitar, nor am I the biggest fan of 12 feet necks...but one of the best guitars I’ve played was my buddy Rob’s (Robbypad) FB P12.
It was the 1st Frog I’d ever played, and it was incredibly powerful for such a small thing. I still like the physical dimensions of larger guitars better...but I will never forget that guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion