The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2020, 06:20 AM

Default Whatever happened to Goodall and Santa Cruz?

You used to be cool... I remember back in the day buying and selling them like they were Collings guitars (which were just marginally a bit more expensive than Martin guitars)... Got one that may or may not be a keeper? It's alright, I'll just buy another one at some point after I try this different combination! Koa back and sides? Yeah, that's a reasonable price for an upgrade, only a couple of hundred (not thousand) more than Mahogany! Mind you, even Collings guitars prices these days... Sheesh! Californian taxes, am I right?
Old 05-20-2020, 06:25 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I know little about them but can tell you that your thread title gave me a chuckle this morning. This was the first page I loaded and my eyes are still blurry this morning. I saw your title and my eyes saw:

Whatever happened to Gandalf and Santa Claus?

Yeah. Drink the coffee. NOW.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 AM

Not sure what you are asking? I don't think anything happened to them.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I know little about them but can tell you that your thread title gave me a chuckle this morning. This was the first page I loaded and my eyes are still blurry this morning. I saw your title and my eyes saw:

Whatever happened to Gandalf and Santa Claus?

Yeah. Drink the coffee. NOW.

Bob

Now that you mention it, they do both have long, white beards. Could it be that they are one in the same? Hmmm.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 05-20-2020, 07:01 AM

Where’s an interpreter?
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 05-20-2020, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

...I guess you’re referring to their current pricing....neither one is a Fortune 500 company and I doubt anyone is becoming fabulously wealthy building and selling guitars there.....it’s probably more about making ends meet and maintaining a business model that provides adequate income and security for the owners and employees....

....yeah they are pretty spendy and upgrades have taken a big jump....it could be they are paying a lot more for premium and increasingly rare materials...it could be they are trying to steer consumers away from these materials with higher prices....maybe you should ask them what’s up....they are still building killer guitars whether they are standard spec or ultra custom.......and fwiw Goodall is a much smaller operation and not really comparable to SCGC....and yeah operating a business in California is surely more expensive than it is in most other parts of the country....I think they’re both still cool....sheesh back atcha...

Last edited by J Patrick; 05-20-2020 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:08 AM

I suspect he is referring to their current astronomical pricing?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 05-20-2020, 07:30 AM

Smile

The question might be "What's happened to you?" Are you okay? Need someone to stop by and check on you? Run out of coffee?

We're here for you ...
Old 05-20-2020, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I've owned about 50 of each in the last 25 years. Great brands both of them. I've been on a tour of both of their shops.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-20-2020, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz new pricing has totally jumped the shark in the last 7 years. They bill themselves as a true custom shop, with something like 60% of their finished product built to customer or dealer requests, and/or specific tonal palettes.

Goodall has always been pricey but they are only a 2 man shop now with James and Luke. IMO, Goodall has more justification for their boutique pricing.

Both brands suffer tremendous loss on the resale market with most Santa Cruzes going for 50 - 55% of current MSRP, Fort Bragg Goodalls at 50%, and Kona HI built Goodalls at 45% of MSRP. If you buy used, you can score an heirloom quality guitar at a very reasonable price.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 AM

I remember some player grade SCGC OM/PWs that sold on here for like 1750. I don't think I've seen used pricing like that in a while. I'm sure they are still awesome guitars and all, but certain have been up in price. I've never played a SCGC I haven't enjoyed, same with most Goodalls.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

A SC guitar is of a quality as a Martin Authentic. If you compare them their prices make them a bargain. And yes pricing of quality guitars has gone way up in the last couple of years. All of them.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-20-2020, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

I think the new prices of $25000-$30000 for a Santa Cruz Brazilian OM are outrageous. Buy a used Bourgeois with Brazilian for around $7000-9000 and get a grail of a guitar with much better looking wood than a Santa Cruz that still will out-perform almost anything you put it against. That's my own opinion.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
I think the new prices of $25000-$30000 for a Santa Cruz Brazilian OM are outrageous. Buy a used Bourgeois with Brazilian for around $7000-9000 and get a grail of a guitar with much better looking wood than a Santa Cruz that still will out-perform almost anything you put it against. That's my own opinion.
^ 100%

There are two of those 1934 Brazilian OMs in the AGF classifieds right now and unfortunately their 5 digit pricing makes the real vintage Martin pieces from the 50s/early 60s a compelling alternative. Actually there are a ton of alternatives at or below 10k.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 05-20-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
Why yes, a used guitar of the same quality and woods is typically less expensive than a new one. So instead of comparing apples against oranges, and using the cost difference to support a claim that the used one is a "better" guitar how about apples and apples. What is the cost of a new Santa Cruz Brazilian vs a new Bourgeois Brazilian? I am not sure where you got the price of a Brazilian Santa Cruz as being $20,000 - $30,000, unless it is some special limited edition something or another.

Both builders build fine instruments. Which a person feels outperforms the other will probably depend on the individual.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion