The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-18-2020, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

I have three brothers who play guitar- all with somewhat varied genre interest from one another. One of them recently distributed a song list for all of us to work through so that we have a few sets we can play at our next family gathering.

My daughter takes voice lessons and is willing to sing along to my playing at times. She studied violin as a small child. My son studied piano as a small child but has discontinued that pursuit. Both my kids and I started guitar lessons together and they quit after 6 months or so. They may have been too young? Maybe they will pick it back up in time.

Until then I will keep accumulating guitars just in case they need one.[emoji28]
Old 02-18-2020, 07:34 AM

No. My grown and out of the house son has an acoustic and an electric but he rarely plays them. He doesn't play that well but he could have been really good if he has stuck with it when he was younger. I can tell he gets it as far as understanding how to strum and so forth. I have seen some people that just have no grasp at all as to how to even do the simplest strumming of chords but I can tell he has a feel for it. I felt he was way ahead of me when he was at the same age of me as a youngster and if he had kept playing he would have been really good by now and much better than I am now.

My dad did play guitar, uke, harmonica, and even a wood flute and piccolo and he is where I got the interest in guitar. My dad was just a strummer and a noodler for the most part. I can't say he was a great player but he wasn't trying to be great. He just sat and strummed and sang old country tunes. He made up some of his own stuff too. It was always so pleasant hearing him play in the background. Can't say that my wife thinks the same of me. All I get from her is shut your door!

I am so much better of a player since my dad died in 95 when I was 28. I wish he were around today to hear me play or even pick with him. I didn't appreciate those old country songs in the 70's and 80's as I was into hard rock and heavy metal but now that I am older, I really appreciate more old school country, Americana and folk style music now. I think that playing the acoustic guitar has really influenced my taste in music.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-18-2020, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

a noodler

Hey! I have a patent on being that!

-Mike
Old 02-18-2020, 08:15 AM

We're a musical household...wife and child play the piano...my mother was an accomplished singer in her day, and my sister was a very accomplished pianist...

As for my guitar habit, I'm a lone wolf...nobody cares all that much....frankly that's just how I like it...Now if my wife would start not caring to the level where I can buy whatever I want for guitars that would be golden...she's not there yet
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-18-2020, 08:18 AM

Nope, not a single person. Ain't that something?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-18-2020, 08:58 AM

My 29 yr. old son is an amazing guitar player and singer.

I'm less than 1/2 the guitar player he is.

After I'd already been playing 20 years, my son started taking guitar lessons at 10 yrs. old.

In 2 years at 12, he was already better than me.

He could play complicated classical pieces and was in stage band in middle school playing really complex jazz chords.

He does inspire me to work on becoming a better player.
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 02-18-2020, 10:16 AM

My family on the whole is (was) musical, my grandpa played trombone, my uncle played upright bass in a band, my grandma played piano, my mom played piano and clarinet, my brother played trombone in high school, and we all were in choir. I am the only one who stuck with it, and still plays multiple instruments and sings in church choir. My son has no interest. Oh well.....
Old 02-18-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

My dad is an incredible guitar/piano/dobro player. I play in a band with him and my brother (drums). My sister is also a piano player but doesn't play much anymore. I was also in a band with one of my cousins. One of my other cousins was an incredible, gifted, young musician who lost his life tragically at the age of 21. He'd probably have been touring by now.

When I try to talk guitars with my dad his eyes glaze over. His guitars are tools and he has several nice ones (D18V, D19, 71 Les Paul, American Strats, etc) but doesn't get it when I start talking adirondack tops and GE bracing
Old 02-18-2020, 02:36 PM

Yes, my son. He's not quite 2, and he is starting to get the hang of strumming while I finger chords. Last weekend, I had him practice holding a pick, but he doesn't quite get that yet. He keeps orienting the pick parallel to the strings instead of perpendicular, but it'll come. We have some time, I think.

He definitely is very enthusiastic about guitars, and music in general. The other day, he spotted the wooden coaster that I got as a gift at a Martin presentation. It's the punched-out wood left when they make the soundhole, with a Martin logo on it and a small hole in the center. Leon grabbed it, excitedly said "Cee-Dee, Cee-Dee, music!!" and proceeded to shove it between the strings into the soundhole of a guitar I had out on a stand, expecting it to play like a CD.

He is learning quickly.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 02-18-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

In my nuclear family, no interest at all. They like music a lot, but no players.

In my extended family, one of my brothers is a music lover (as are my parents) and he has a beater that he beats on once in a while, but I don't think he has ever gotten past the sore fingertips stage

Another of my other brothers brought his kids up in a TV free household. His son, now 18, is an incredible guitar player. 8 or 9 years ago I was showing him some major chords and a couple of Dylan tunes. Since then he has become very proficient in both jazz and classical guitar and performs often in lots of settings. Has been to Victor Wooton's camp multiple times. He is seriously interested in guitars and has a signature edition Pat Metheny model (one of his heroes, he has many of his solos memorized). After considering a career in music, he decided to study engineering in college next year, but the music department is very interested in him and encouraging him to apply for music scholarships. That's what 6-8 hours of practice a day (remember, no TV in the house) at that age and some good instruction will do for you!
Old 02-18-2020, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspicker View Post
The only person in my family that has taken up guitar playing is my daughter.
Hi tp

Almost. We lost a son to cancer about a dozen years back and we shared the passion for things-with-strings.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-18-2020, 03:37 PM

Default The Out House

🙉

My family hates my cherry - picked music I play. I'm currently using the bar stool,I mean seat in the family out house. It's a nice out house with double seats. I play with the door open so a passing deer or hogs can enjoy my playing. The sack of lime is a perfect amp stand for my Pignose Hog 30. When a neighbor ask my daughter what that horrible sound was she told him. Where is he? She said,just follow the smell. No one likes 1950s classic country in my house.💩🙆
Old 02-18-2020, 07:21 PM

My mom’s family was musical and she always encouraged me to play.

My wife pretty much hates my playing and my musical endeavors.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 02-18-2020, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

One of our old dogs will give my guitar a lick whenever I play...my biggest fan
Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Nope, not a single person. Ain't that something?
+1. Same here, Jeff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion