The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Absolutely! ... but heed Cigar Fan’s advice. You may bump into Eire too. It’s his favorite hang out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
I have dibs on the wood room as my future place of residence, Dennis. Sorry.
LOL, seeing Eire's expression of bliss and reverence as he steps into the wood locker is the high point of every McJam for me. It's kind of like entering into the confessional.

Dennis, I've been in Tim's wood locker many times. Somehow it hasn't affected my wallet - and I'm surprised they keep letting me in. TBH I keep a supply of "potpouri" on hand to "acclimate" myself to the experience. Tim doesn't watch his scrap pile closely at all!

I also learned that you should never "taste" the wood - it ain't a wine cellar!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:59 AM

I have been a part of a few build threads and watched many more, none have been as complete as this on Dennis.

Not a lot of extra room on that top. If it were not for needing to be routed for bindings and purflings, you might have been looking for new tops too lol!!!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:24 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
LOL, seeing Eire's expression of bliss and reverence as he steps into the wood locker is the high point of every McJam for me. It's kind of like entering into the confessional.

Dennis, I've been in Tim's wood locker many times. Somehow it hasn't affected my wallet - and I'm surprised they keep letting me in. TBH I keep a supply of "potpouri" on hand to "acclimate" myself to the experience. Tim doesn't watch his scrap pile closely at all!

I also learned that you should never "taste" the wood - it ain't a wine cellar!
Tapping good …. tasting not so much!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:29 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I have been a part of a few build threads and watched many more, none have been as complete as this one Dennis.

Not a lot of extra room on that top. If it were not for needing to be routed for bindings and purflings, you might have been looking for new tops too lol!!!
I warned you guys. Mary is prolific with the photos. One thing is for sure. There's nothing left to the imagination. Except the secret sauce of course and that is OK.

You noticed that curve of the top that disappeared at the edge. We like to push the envelope!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:08 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Today was another banner day in the progress of my SSD. What a pace!

First we have preparation of the rims for top and back. Again the chalk to guide sanding of the rim.

And a short video of the rim in the sander.

Then Tim outlines the rim on the back preparing to trim the excess. Being such beautiful quilted Sapele, Tim will likely keep it for someone elses mosaic rosette.

Here Tim is fine tuning the back braces with a quick shave.

Final cleaning and sanding of the inside of the back and braces.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:09 PM
Music soothes the soul!

The rims are notched to accept back braces.

The back and rims are ready for glueing and a trip to the go bar.

Look at the focus on this man as he trims the top braces and tapping constantly to get the response he's looking for.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:12 PM
Music soothes the soul!

The famous luthier signatures on the under side of the top.

Here Tim adds his famous carbon fiber buttress braces.

Tim lightly sprays the inside back and sides which retards the impact of humidty changes. Here is a short video of the spraying process.

Oh my goodness! Look at the figure on that Sapele! Yikes!

That's it for today ...... stay tuned.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 PM

Congrats Cigarfan on this latest build, it looks like it's going to be beautiful. Have you gotten your Sexauer Custom yet? Two customs is exciting. Any others planned for 2020?
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 02-25-2020, 04:17 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Tim is a very thoughtful guy. I am having a K&K pickup installed and because this is a Skinny Slope Dred Tim was forward thinking enough to mount the pickup to the bridge plate before closing the box. I think his exact words were, "... installing the PU now since the (skinny) body depth restricts fitting my big mits inside after the box is closed."

Today we had work with similar activities to yesterday except for the top. Final cleanup and sanding, notching of the rims to accommodate braces and gluing the top to the rims.

So as not to bore you with similar pics we will skip to the go bar shots where the box is closed and set on the go bar to dry.

This is it for today. Routing of the channels for binding is on the horizon.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:31 PM

Wonderful photos as always, it I were to pick one favorite, it would be the Sapele after the light spray, yowsers, I think that one is better than the first one!!!
Old 02-25-2020, 07:39 PM

Congrats Cigarfan on this latest build, it looks like it's going to be beautiful. Have you gotten your Sexauer Custom yet? Two customs is exciting. Any others planned for 2020?
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 02-26-2020, 04:16 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Wonderful photos as always, it I were to pick one favorite, it would be the Sapele after the light spray, yowsers, I think that one is better than the first one!!!
Quite stunning isn't it! You may be right about the second one. I figure everything happens for a reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I'm going to pickup my Sexauer at B.I.G.er in Texas (March). And this is the first time ever (for me) to have two custom builds in the works at the same time. Exciting and hair raising at the same time. Definitely no more planned for 2020.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Absolutely! ... but heed Cigar Fan’s advice. You may bump into Eire too. It’s his favorite hang out.
Indeed, a dangerous space. Many a checkbook that has made its entrance into the McKnights' wood room has been found to be missing a check upon its departure. Truly a frightening paranormal experience!

And as noted before, that room is my retirement home. I'm not sure Tim and Mary are aware of that yet, but....
Old 02-26-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Hmm, interesting. Perhaps the process of sawdust-and-wood-chip acclimation has allowed you to develop a gradual immunity that leaves you impervious to the insidious economic call of the McKnights' wood room, Neil. We may have to draw your blood and take a cheek-swab at the McJam in order to conduct scientific testing of your apparently-altered DNA.

Methinks you will succumb eventually, regardless.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Hmm, interesting. Perhaps the process of sawdust-and-wood-chip acclimation has allowed you to develop a gradual immunity that leaves you impervious to the insidious economic call of the McKnights' wood room, Neil. We may have to draw your blood and take a cheek-swab at the McJam in order to conduct scientific testing of your apparently-altered DNA.

Methinks you will succumb eventually, regardless.
It’s on my bucket list, but none of us are getting any younger. I’ve probably bought enough Powerball tickets to fund the down payment!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop