The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-31-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
It arrived the other day, hope to get it set up over the weekend.
Confused over your 'muting an input' comment - maybe you mean with a mic plugged in (that is not being tracked) it still feeds into the headphone monitoring? I always turn my input volume controls down when not in use. The rear line-ins will only be used for my keyboard most of the time, so either not in use (silent) or being used. Won't be using the SPDIF (or MIDI).
I was just using muting an input as an example. When using the routing program, I was getting confused when settings I made weren't having an impact. At first I thought I was misunderstanding how it all worked. Muting an input is an obvious operation and when I realized that wasn't working, I exited the program and restarted it and found it to work as it should again.

I like to mute inputs I'm not using to minimize any noise. On this device, it may not matter as much since the inputs are routed directly rather than be mixed into a 2 channel output like my Yamaha Audiogram 6 did.
Old 01-31-2020, 02:29 PM

Based on this thread and MikeB's thoughts, I ordered an 8i6. Got it set up and recorded with it yesterday. I'm using my Mac and Garage Band so I went the quick setup, no accounts/minimal software install route. Fast, easy, none too painful an experience and it sounds amazing (when I do my part).

Thanks!

Scott
Old 02-03-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSD View Post
Based on this thread and MikeB's thoughts, I ordered an 8i6. Got it set up and recorded with it yesterday. I'm using my Mac and Garage Band so I went the quick setup, no accounts/minimal software install route. Fast, easy, none too painful an experience and it sounds amazing (when I do my part).

Thanks!

Scott
Good to hear! I got as far as taking mine out of the box.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-11-2020, 07:10 AM

Had no issues installing//downloading the Focusrite, could not register it on their site though as mine has a 14 character serial number, the site seems set up for older models with 12 or 13 characters! Even the help videos they link are old.

But.... my old Win 7 computer seems to have fallen on hard times - all of a sudden everything I record (and old recordings I listen to) have crackling/popping that adjusting the buffer to the max of 1024 (horrible latency) don't get rid of.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-11-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I upgraded my trusty Yamaha Audiogram 6 to this Focusrite 8i6 recently. I really like it, though it was a bit of an adjustment for me and drivers/firmware had some bugs initially.

One thing I have discovered is that the routing program will sometimes stop doing what it's supposed to do. For instance, if you mute an input and it doesn't actually mute it. When things like this start happening, I exit the routing program and go back in and it's fine.

A big problem I found were problems trying to record from the SPDIF input. That has been fixed thankfully.

I only record from one input at a time, but it's nice to be able to leave things connected so when you do record, you just use the appropriate input without having to plug/unplug stuff.

I like that it has 2 headphone outputs so I can monitor when I'm recording somebody else. One disappointment for me was I was hoping to connect my subwoofer to the second output. I can, but I can't combine both outputs together so they are both controlled by the volume knob.

I'd love to hear how you get on with it after you've had time to play with it.
If you can find the correct Y cable arrangement you can double up your single stereo output so that you end up with 2 left and 2 right outputs from the stereo source. Plug one parallel pair to your powered monitors and the other parallel pair into your subwoofer(s).
That way when you adjust the volume both subwoofer and main speakers will track the volume correctly.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-11-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Had no issues installing//downloading the Focusrite, could not register it on their site though as mine has a 14 character serial number, the site seems set up for older models with 12 or 13 characters! Even the help videos they link are old.

But.... my old Win 7 computer seems to have fallen on hard times - all of a sudden everything I record (and old recordings I listen to) have crackling/popping that adjusting the buffer to the max of 1024 (horrible latency) don't get rid of.
Interesting about the serial number...I don't recall having any issues like that.

Can you glean from Windows Task Manager what's causing the buffering? Is the CPU getting pegged? Is the hard disc getting bogged down? Maybe try a different USB port on your PC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
If you can find the correct Y cable arrangement you can double up your single stereo output so that you end up with 2 left and 2 right outputs from the stereo source. Plug one parallel pair to your powered monitors and the other parallel pair into your subwoofer(s).
That way when you adjust the volume both subwoofer and main speakers will track the volume correctly.
Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually how I'm set up. I'd rather not have the splitters, but I don't have a choice.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:

You might want to check an article like this one:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-40d3ef267a11

Sometimes when you identify what is causing the spikes you can do something to fix it.

It's one of those things that drove me away from Windows when I was looking for stable low latency audio and I ended up going the Apple way.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-12-2020, 07:27 AM

Quote:
You might want to check an article like this one:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...3-40d3ef267a11

Sometimes when you identify what is causing the spikes you can do something to fix it.

It's one of those things that drove me away from Windows when I was looking for stable low latency audio and I ended up going the Apple way.
I checked, and nothing was running in the background that was using any CPU/RAM more than usual stuff. This computer has been my recording computer for 8+ years. No changes made prior to/on the day the crackling started. I had recorded a few quick single tracks last week with no issues. I didn't notice the crackling gin the tracks I was recording on Saturday because I wasn't monitoring carefully, had the head[hones set low while I laid down track after track. Turning up the volume is when it can be heard.
Listening to old tracks, there is still crackling, but on tracks recorded over the weekend, the crackling is recorded - I can see the blips on the waveforms. This is true even when there are no VSTis or plug-ins running in Reaper.
The cracking seems to follow the peaks of the sound - after a quick ending, there will be a few crackles within a second or so of the end.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-12-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Interesting about the serial number...I don't recall having any issues like that.

Can you glean from Windows Task Manager what's causing the buffering? Is the CPU getting pegged? Is the hard disc getting bogged down? Maybe try a different USB port on your PC?

Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually how I'm set up. I'd rather not have the splitters, but I don't have a choice.
Got an email back from Focusrite regarding the registration/serial number - they got it registered for me. Haven't logged in yet to d/l other software because I'm trying to resolve my computer issues first.
Could be a hard disc problem or RAM going bad (?), I really don't know. CPU usage does not seem to be a factor.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Got an email back from Focusrite regarding the registration/serial number - they got it registered for me. Haven't logged in yet to d/l other software because I'm trying to resolve my computer issues first.
Could be a hard disc problem or RAM going bad (?), I really don't know. CPU usage does not seem to be a factor.
They have made a few firmware upgrades since the product was released. Now that you have it registered you can try upgrading it to the latest firmware if you weren't able to do that before. I was having routing issues that a firmware update resolved.

It's a shame you are having these problems. I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 AM

It could be the case that Win 7 has updated some of it's drivers since it last worked without pops and crackles.

I would recommend trying that Latencymon program if you can to try to see which driver or class of drivers is causing DPC delays.

You could just try disabling wi-fi since that is a common source of these problems on Windows.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-12-2020, 09:51 AM

Drivers would be my first thought. Is there crackling if you play back good sound files through the normal windows driver (computer speakers or headphones into the computer's headphone jack), and not through the interface?

If not, then the Focusrite drivers may be the culprit.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:26 PM

The Focusrite 8i6 looks like it would be a good choice for me then, since all I need is to connect my converter outs to the spdif ins on the Focusrite, then connect to my Macbook Pro using the USB-C cable. I use a similar connection scheme with my older Macbook Pro with the M-Audio Profire 610 interface, works great! Also, the price is very reasonable! I don't need an interface with nice pre's, because I already have nice pre's and don't plan on ever using it as a standalone interface for recording, just as a throughput, unless anyone has any input concerning this that I haven't thought about. The only other thing I can even think about is, is there an advantage to using an interface with ADAT and/or AES inputs?

I was surprised to see Motu doesn't offer a a more affordable USB-C interface with spdif input.

Also, what about Presonus products? The PreSonus Quantum 2626 26x26 Thunderbolt 3 Audio Interface has L/R returns, which I thought would come in handy for patching in an outboard effects processor (send/return). Am I right about this? Plus, it has spdif ins/outs, as well as ADAT ins/outs, not just spdif ins. Lots of connectivity options.

Rick

Last edited by Rick Shepherd; 02-12-2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
It could be the case that Win 7 has updated some of it's drivers since it last worked without pops and crackles.

I would recommend trying that Latencymon program if you can to try to see which driver or class of drivers is causing DPC delays.

You could just try disabling wi-fi since that is a common source of these problems on Windows.
Wifi is not normally connected with this computer - I use a USB dongle, and only plug it in to d/l. I will look at the Latencymon thing to see if it finds anything that Task Manager didn't spy out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Drivers would be my first thought. Is there crackling if you play back good sound files through the normal windows driver (computer speakers or headphones into the computer's headphone jack), and not through the interface?

If not, then the Focusrite drivers may be the culprit.
I downloaded the Focusrite drivers the day after the problem started. Yesterday I listened to video/audio thoruhg headphones and the built-in soundcard, no crackling.

Quote:
They have made a few firmware upgrades since the product was released. Now that you have it registered you can try upgrading it to the latest firmware if you weren't able to do that before. I was having routing issues that a firmware update resolved.

It's a shame you are having these problems. I hope you get it sorted out.
I was able to d/l the updated drivers before registering, so that's not the issue.

I appreciate all the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I am tempted to just order another computer (Amazon or Walmart refurbished with SSD) because returning it (if the problem persists) would be easy.

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-13-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I appreciate all the suggestions, keep 'em coming. I am tempted to just order another computer (Amazon or Walmart refurbished with SSD) because returning it (if the problem persists) would be easy.
It seems like the PC you've been using has served you well and updating to a new PC is certainly not unreasonable. Sometimes you just need an excuse to push you over the edge to upgrade .

I was on a Windows 8 machine until recently. It served me well for 6 years but it's time had come. My new PC is much snappier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD