The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-26-2020, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Emerald View Post
One thing I'm surprised by is just how much sheer physical work goes into this process!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-26-2020, 05:16 PM

As always, I enjoyed the latest video and look forward to seeing the finished product (even though I don't play lap steel despite having a square neck reso in the closet).

Those misguided souls who think that carbon fiber guitars somehow magically pop out of an injection molding machine should see these videos. And this is just the plug and mold part - not actually making and finishing the guitar.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:12 AM

Your daily fix:

https://www.facebook.com/12781739164...7/?d=null&vh=e
Old 05-28-2020, 08:41 AM
Guest 928

This is a phenomenal thread; the creation and the use of a particular instrument at a high level of quality. A great thread thanks to the Acoustic Guitar Forum, Emerald Guitars, and serious musicians. Ole!
Old 05-28-2020, 02:52 PM

Another day, another video

https://www.facebook.com/12781739164...7/?d=null&vh=e
Old 06-02-2020, 03:25 PM

Apologies, I missed a day, so a double helping today!

Fridays video:
https://www.facebook.com/EmeraldGuit...7397392535368/

Today:
https://www.facebook.com/EmeraldGuit...3248820715862/

(no video on monday, alistair spent the bank holiday with his family during an unusually good spell of irish weather)
Old 06-03-2020, 12:16 PM
Guest 928

David;

The amount of labor involved has always made me wonder why China has not been an active CF instrument source.
Old 06-03-2020, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
David;

The amount of labor involved has always made me wonder why China has not been an active CF instrument source.
Because it isn't just time, it is also knowledge/skill?
Old 06-03-2020, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David;

Good point. Maybe it’s because CF guitars are still very much a niche instrument?
Cordoba Stage

Old 06-03-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Because it isn't just time, it is also knowledge/skill?
Having worked extensively with carbon fiber in the high stakes world of formula one racing, Alistair has a very special skill set. Carbon fiber is also very expensive(some ten times the price of steel). I would imagine that most engineers with the same skill set in China would be preferentially steered to the field of aircraft design and production. You don’t come across people like Alistair Hay, Matt McPherson and Joe Littwak everyday. Relative to the folks that I’ve just named, it’s much easier to find a team traditional luthiers(think Eastman)in places like China or other parts of Asia.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Guest 928

Perhaps I'm a bit cranky today, but I disagree with most of the suggestions.

First, I do not think we can underestimate Chinese knowledge and skill and I don't see the Chinese as daunted by niche products. And there is this; a current U.S. guitar company is making its guitars in China so knowledge and skill are there and a niche is taken.

I do find ES's notion of priorities as fetching. I suppose a stealth fighter plane would be considered a more worthy use of CF than a musical instrument.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:04 PM

Carbon moulding is also one of those processes that doesnt really get easier with scale. Material cost remains high, process times remain high, and skilled/experienced staff will always be required. Generally i think its less suited to high volume/low cost manufacturing and is a bit more of a niche, particularly with guitars! When you look oversees they generally target high volume low cost. But of course there are exceptions.

Last edited by Simon@Emerald; 06-04-2020 at 02:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:46 PM

Quote:
David;

Hi Evan.

The premium price brands Rainsong, Emerald, McPherson and Composite Acoustics each sell approx 400-1000 guitars a year. Each employs(ed) about 6-10 people of which 5-7 are production workers. The costs to negotiate and implement outsourcing would overwhelm any savings. And small companies treat employees like family not general labour.

These quantities are too tiny to be worthwhile for any Chinese factory. Especially since outsourcing companies continuously penny pinch on prices and gleefully switch suppliers with little notice.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 06-03-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:18 PM
Guest 928

Casual;

I see your point, but not completely persuaded. The U.S. company having its CF guitars made in China would appear to have a very small output. Small output may go a long way if you're talking about insanely low wages. That the company is paying shipping charges, U.S. based quality controls, and advertising suggests that small output is obtainable.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The U.S. company having its CF guitars made in China would appear to have a very small output.
Which company is that, Evan? I’m drawing a blank (but will probably kick myself when you tell us).
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber