The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 03:51 PM

Default Strings By Mail Branded Strings

In addition to selling all the major brands of strings, SBM also sells their own branded strings. Has anyone here ever tried any of these? I'm thinking of buying some, but would like to hear comments from those who have previously used them.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:45 PM

How did I not notice this when I was setting up my giant string test?

I haven't tried them. I'd like to, but maybe I won't need to. If you buy them, would you post a clear picture of the windings at the ball end? There's a certain company that makes quite a few private brands, and if those are made by who I'm thinking of, then I've probably tried them already under another name.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:29 AM

I got them and they are great sounding strings. They are not my favorite set of strings, but for cost to performance (length of life and tone) they are hard to beat. I've preferred then over every big box brand of non coated strings I've used.

Also this is using 80/20 12 Guage on a Furch GA Alpine / cocobolo
Old 05-28-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
How did I not notice this when I was setting up my giant string test?

I haven't tried them. I'd like to, but maybe I won't need to. If you buy them, would you post a clear picture of the windings at the ball end? There's a certain company that makes quite a few private brands, and if those are made by who I'm thinking of, then I've probably tried them already under another name.
The SBM strings are made by GSM, Guitar String Manufacturing, out of Sonoma or Santa Rosa California.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 05-28-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
The SBM strings are made by GSM, Guitar String Manufacturing, out of Sonoma or Santa Rosa California.
Yep, that's who I thought. No need for the photos then.

GSM also makes Black Diamond and Sfarzo, although they do say those are wound on different machines with different settings.

I'm about 90% sure this is also where Webstrings are made.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion