The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-22-2020, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I'll throw a plug in for Texas luthier Jamie Kinscherff. Jamie's "High Noon" model is a SJ sized guitar and has great volume, sustain, and all the mojo you would want out of an acoustic. Many years ago I bought a used Olson SJ, and after a few weeks with it decided I wanted something that sounded different/ better. I did a trade plus some cash (back to me) for my first Kinscherff. I have owned approximately 6 of Jamie's fabulous guitars. Jamie uses a unique and proprietary top bracing system (see his website) that really allows the top to vibrate and have great sound and sustain and note clarity.

Here is the one I did the trade for with the Olson, which is an Adirondack/ Koa High Noon. It has been my #1 guitar since I got it in 1999. Price wise, these should be in the range you're looking at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200522_065940.jpg (34.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 20200522_070008.jpg (40.9 KB, 162 views)
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 05-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Scott - round three (from me)?

Thanks so much, super helpful
Old 05-25-2020, 03:15 PM

Hi Scott, jumping in a bit late. I've played a number of Olson and Olson style SJs, and these are my thoughts:

1) If you're looking at 3-4k range, I'd recommend used Charis (used Applegates have been fetching a bit more lately, but if you can find one, I'd go that route over the Charis)

2) There used to be a fellow building under the name Aubade Acoustics who was building a style that was, like Charis, very inspired by Olson SJs. That was more affordable as his build price was $2500 and $3500 over time.

3) I think the closest of sounding tone in this era is Heinonen, followed by Applegate, and then Charis.

4) If you can find an older Applegate, where Brian was building closer to Jim Olson's voicing and not his own, that's a good route too.

5) I'm going to have ultimately what you want. If it's just look, plenty of options. If you want tone, then it's a particular flavor of the Olson tone, and then I'd steer you appropriately.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleySJ View Post
Hi Scott, jumping in a bit late. I've played a number of Olson and Olson style SJs, and these are my thoughts...
Thanks for the input. Read the thread of your Heinonen build, that's a beautiful guitar!
Old 05-27-2020, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHaus View Post
Thanks for the input. Read the thread of your Heinonen build, that's a beautiful guitar!
Thanks. I was actually going to post an updated picture with the soundport too, but yes, I do like it quite a bit.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

P.S. There is an Aubade on Reverb right now. Spruce/Bubinga. I'm sorely tempted but having a 4th in the stable is not allowed.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:31 AM

Default Looking for an Olson Style Guitar

Try some used Gibson J-180 and J-185 guitars. That is the design that inspired Olson when he designed his guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion