The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-26-2018, 12:00 PM

Default Anyone try John Pearse 610LM Silk and Phosphor strings? (not a silk and steel set)

I haven't tried these yet but I'm really intrigued with their description:

"Formulated for the electric guitarist who doubles on acoustic, this set features a never before possible "playing ease" tension married with the warmth and projection for which our acoustic strings are famous. Our triple annealed mild steel is pulled through a draw plate to make an extra skinny core. Onto this is wound a silk multifilament which cushions a phospor bronze winding. This is NOT a silk and steel set. The natural edginess of the phosphor bronze winding is tempered by the silk cushion to produce a tone that studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in."

I'd love to try them on my J45 and my Taylor 324...
G7th Capos
Old 11-26-2018, 12:10 PM

Haven't tried them but I did find this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=379484

Do they only come in light/mediums?
Old 11-26-2018, 04:01 PM

I bought 2 sets some time ago. The first set had a problem with a string slipping or something (just couldn't get it to stay in pitch), so I replaced them with a set of "regular" strings. Experiment over, other set in the junk drawer.

Last week I tried again with that other set I had on hand. The comment "studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in." is pretty accurate to my experience. They're a little muted, have less overtones, etc... just like a set of old strings.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:13 PM

Maybe try a set of GHS silk and bronze Very articulate and reasonably priced.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:25 PM

I have them on a smallish rosewood guitar right now.

Was looking for a little more warmth and depth of tone.

Found La Bella Silk & Steels were an improvement then tried GHS Silk & Bronze.

Big difference, the Silk & Bronze sound more like a warm set of PB's with more volume than Silk & Steels too.

AGFer sold me some sets of GHS and John Pearse Silk & Bronze and I'm on my 2nd set of the JP's - very nice on this guitar.

Preference? I like the GHS straight out the pack wheras the JP's take a couple of days to warm up fully. Both are very good.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-26-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:32 PM

Some players love them on certain guitars. I think they are worth a try. I tried a 3-pack. Put one on a Larrivee SD-40 and another on a Taylor 324. Gave the last pack away.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM

My sister used silk and steel strings almost exclusively until I introduced her to the John Pearse silk and phosphor bronze. She becomes an immediate convert.

John designed that set as a direct and improved replacement for silk and steel strings, only with greater durability. They last my sister about three times as long as traditional silk and steel strings do.

That’s her experience with them, not mine. I’m not a silk and steel kind of guy, myself.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-27-2018, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

...I use them on my 1889 Washburn parlor....I use the slightly heavier gauge because my guitar is an early X-braced model....they sound terrific....I don’t know that I would like them on a larger, sturdier guitar but on a small lightly built guitar they rock....
Old 11-27-2018, 09:52 AM

I've got them on an S & P showcase and love the sound.

BUT, I've had the 3rd string slip on the tuner in the middle of tunes after doing multiple tuning changes from standard and open G & D.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 11-27-2018, 10:19 AM

I tried 'em and like 'em. On a lightly built guitar they are great! I like every John Pearse string I've tried except for the pure nickel strings- but that coulda been the guitar.
Old 05-27-2020, 09:09 PM

Thumbs up Great warm easy to fret

Try them. I have them on my usually booming Blueridge BR160A. Some loss of volume but more than made up for in tone, and they seem to be lasting. TJ
Old 05-28-2020, 06:52 AM

Big improvement over Silk and Steel of any brand. Not as good a tone (meaning not like a regular string) as Newtone Heritage or GHS Thin Core.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:34 AM

They are my go-to strings for my CS 00-18. Love 'em.

They really do sound/play more like PBs than S&S strings & last fairly long.

Frank
Old 09-06-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I tried 'em and like 'em. On a lightly built guitar they are great! I like every John Pearse string I've tried except for the pure nickel strings- but that coulda been the guitar.
I agree about the use on light built guitars especially when you are not relying on volume and use it mainly for plug in stage guitars like my Yamaha APX.
It took a bit of the harshness off the bass strings and felt a tad smoother also.
Mind you, these were the regular silk and steel i think as they were whitish io yellow in colour..
Old 09-06-2021, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballynally View Post
I agree about the use on light built guitars especially when you are not relying on volume and use it mainly for plug in stage guitars like my Yamaha APX.
It took a bit of the harshness off the bass strings and felt a tad smoother also.
Mind you, these were the regular silk and steel i think as they were whitish io yellow in colour..
Edit: i found out i made a mistake. I have the 'nuages' on my guitar. Lighter gauge at 46 on the low E.
I might try the silk and bronze and compare..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion