The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-15-2020, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Best Arrangement of Ave Maria / Asturias / Girl with Flaxen Hair

I'm getting ready to try and tackle a couple pieces I've wanted to for years (will need to build up technical ability as well) but I was wondering what arrangements/transcriptions people would recommend for Asturias (Isaac Albeniz), Ave Maria (Schubert), and finally La Fille aux Cheveux de lin (Debussy).

Looking for music notation with also some guide points on positioning.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2020, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Ave Maria - Rick Foster’s arrangement in “More Hymns for Classic Guitar”, published by Mel Bay back in the 70s or 80s in the key of D is very nice. I also like Chet Atkins arrangement in the key of G transcribed by John Knowles C.G.P. In “Chet Atkins Almost Alone”, published by Hal Leonard back in the 90s or maybe the early Aughts.

Asturias - can’t go wrong with starting with Segovia’s arrangement (which I believe he largely adapted from someone before him. There was a lengthy discussion about that, possibly here, but I believe it was on the Delcamp forum, sometime within the past couple of years.)

For the Debussy, I like Jack Marshall’s arrangement in Volume 2 of “Parkening and that Guitar, Music of Two Centuries” in 1977 published by Antigua Casa Sherry-Brener.

I don’t know if any of these arrangements are the best right now, but I know that I like them. I don’t know if any of them are in print or not.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:19 AM

For Leyenda/Asturias, take a look at Stanley Yates' extensive article and arrangement (the link to the arrangement is at the bottom in section 9):
http://www.stanleyyates.com/articles...z/leyenda.html

It's a great treatise on the arrangement process, including a discussion of some of Segovia's choices. The Segovia arrangement is really the most well-known, so it's worth at least some familiarity with it. I personally prefer Yates' choices when compared against the original piano score, but for listeners who only know the Segovia version (and related variants), it definitely sounds different.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

I like the Ave Maria from Bradford Werner's website. I'm a beginner at classical and I managed to get through it without poking my eye out.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-24-2020, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical