The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Orangewood. $675 free shipping, and returns.
No rosewood back and sides that I know of unless you have a link.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockysdad View Post
Larrivee D-40R, probably what you’re looking for, the 40 series has a bit more bottom end due to it’s bracing.

Should be able to find a used one in your range.
I second looking for a used Larrivee Spruce over Rosewood. My ‘94 D-19 sounds incredible and is as solid as the day it was made. I wouldn’t call it a “cannon” but plenty of volume, w full, articulate bass and sparkling highs. I consider it one of my “lifers”.
Old 11-12-2019, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I second looking for a used Larrivee Spruce over Rosewood. My ‘94 D-19 sounds incredible and is as solid as the day it was made. I wouldn’t call it a “cannon” but plenty of volume, w full, articulate bass and sparkling highs. I consider it one of my “lifers”.
Sorry but no stores within 60 miles of me at least have a Larrivee ... of any type ... for me to play. It's hard for me to pay $1,000 sight and ear unseen for a used guitar I know nothing about except its reputation. The only saving grace would be buying from some company or person with an accommodating return policy. I don't know how it plays. I don't know how it sounds, etc. Well ... Guitar Center does have some so they are a possibility but still I have no knowledge of the brand. But then again I bought that Epi AJ500M based upon the reviews here and that worked out well so ....maybe.

And later. And it has the 1 11/16 inch nut width I prefer. I have to really think about this now ...
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

Last edited by Ralph124C41; 11-12-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Orangewood. $675 free shipping, and returns.
oh wow, I had NEVER heard of them, but their guitars look beautiful. I'm not looking to buy a guitar right now but next time i feel that GAS itch I might have to investigate.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Sorry but no stores within 60 miles of me at least have a Larrivee ... of any type ... for me to play. It's hard for me to pay $1,000 sight and ear unseen for a used guitar I know nothing about except its reputation. The only saving grace would be buying from some company or person with an accommodating return policy. I don't know how it plays. I don't know how it sounds, etc. Well ... Guitar Center does have some so they are a possibility but still I have no knowledge of the brand. But then again I bought that Epi AJ500M based upon the reviews here and that worked out well so ....maybe.

And later. And it has the 1 11/16 inch nut width I prefer. I have to really think about this now ...
The best thing about buying used from Guitar Center is their 45 day, no questions asked, return policy. Find a promising used guitar online, and they will ship it to their store nearest you. Pick it up, give it a try for up to 45 days, keep it, or return it for full refund if it's not what you want.

They have 5 Larrivee rosewood backed dreads listed for less than $1000. I recently picked up a virtually unplayed, mahogany backed L-03e, for hundreds less than that. I replaced, adusted a new saddle, and now it plays/sound really fine.

Just something to think about if you live in an area where trying one out is not possible.
'86 Flatiron A5-JR
'15 Pono N-30DC
Old 11-12-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGSanders View Post
The best thing about buying used from Guitar Center is their 45 day, no questions asked, return policy. Find a promising used guitar online, and they will ship it to their store nearest you. Pick it up, give it a try for up to 45 days, keep it, or return it for full refund if it's not what you want.

They have 5 Larrivee rosewood backed dreads listed for less than $1000. I recently picked up a virtually unplayed, mahogany backed L-03e, for hundreds less than that. I replaced, adusted a new saddle, and now it plays/sound really fine.

Just something to think about if you live in an area where trying one out is not possible.
I know. that's how I got my Masterbilt a couple of weeks ago. In this case I had it sent to my local store and opened the box in front of the staff (actually the manager.) Why? Because if there is something visibly wrong with it I had somebody to witness it and not think I had done it myself. Also I can immediately ask for a refund. And in my case the guitar was missing the truss rod cover so the manager found a spare one and installed it for me for free. It doesn't say MASTERBILT but it does the job. I've been shopping at this store for years.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-12-2019, 02:59 PM

Hey, folks, what do you think of this? I can get an Eastman E8D (spruce over rosewood) from the folks at one of the forum's sponsors for $939 delivered to my door. A somewhat local shop can order one for me ... for about $1,100 before state tax.

I think my top two choices are:

A new Eastman E8D for $939 from an AGF sponsor (which I would like to deal with)

or

A used Martin MMV for about $1,000 or so, maybe with a case.

The Martin has a couple things going for it. It's name and that it has the slimmer nut width that I prefer. I likely will buy one from GCenter and make use of that return policy.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion