The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2019, 09:29 AM

Default Hunting for a lower-cost rosewood b&s dread

As I wrote I recently bought a Masterbilt AJ500MNS with case and I've really grown to like it. It really is much better IMO than my other guitars with their laminated back and sides.
I do prefer the sound of rosewood over mahogany/sapele, though, so I'm trying to find something like this guitar but with solid rosewood back and sides but at a price I can afford ... definitely under $1,000 and hopefully even less.

So far I've been looking at, for example,
Used Martin MMV
Used Blueridge BR160
Used Alvarez MD70
Used Epiphone Masterbilt-AJ-500RCE (found one locally for $350 but haven't looked at it) and other used Masterbilts such as the AJ500R and DR series
Used Yamaha I guess

I can't find a used Eastman D20 in my price range but I guess it would be possible.

I don't need electronics. I don't need a cutaway. I do prefer a guitar with a slimmer nut width as on my Epiphone and I think also on the Blueridge. You can see I own three Alvarezes and one reason I don't play them that much is because they all have 1.75-inch nut widths. In addtion the jumbo has a fatter neck profile so it's really uncomfortable for me to play for more than a couple songs or so. It's a shame as the guitar sounds very nice I think.

So any thoughts or red flags would be welcome.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Check with Ted https://www.laguitarsales.com regarding the Eastman 8D https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....stman-e8d.html on his website. Eastman dreads are terrific....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-10-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Check with Ted https://www.laguitarsales.com regarding the Eastman 8D https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....stman-e8d.html on his website. Eastman dreads are terrific....
thanks I will do that as I didn't know about that model. A shop near me has a few Eastmans but not used and not that model.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 10:28 AM

I recently bought my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RENS on Reverb for $450. Spruce over rosewood, dual pick ups, and a lot of volume and projection. Just my .02.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-10-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I recently bought my Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RENS on Reverb for $450. Spruce over rosewood, dual pick ups, and a lot of volume and projection. Just my .02.
That would be a good one ... if I can find one.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 11:15 AM

Washburn makes great guitars with Rosewood.
At least they did a few years ago.
With the import problems going on, Rosewood imports are now hit or miss as to availability.
If Washburn is once again importing guitars with Rosewood, be sure to play some.
They are offered in both laminated sides and backs or all solid wood.

Can't beat their prices.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 AM

I just bought a Epi Masterbuilt AJ-500RCE. Basically the same guitar, but with a cutaway, and worse electronics.

The rosewood epis are hard to find though - I think they're all limited editions and I can't find another (of either guitar) online to buy in the UK.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:22 AM

How did it sound unplugged because that is all I'm after? I would probably never use the pickup but I could use the cutaway but I'm after a loud(ish) guitar to play at some acoustic jams near me so I'm concerned about if there is much of a drop in volume due to the cutaway. As I said a local person has one for sale but he or she hasn't gotten back to me and that price seems suspiciously low. However that AJ500MSN with the OHSC Epiphone case I got for only $300 from Guitar Center and it seems in very good condition and was looked at by a luthier friend very briefly.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Washburn makes great guitars with Rosewood.
At least they did a few years ago.
With the import problems going on, Rosewood imports are now hit or miss as to availability.
If Washburn is once again importing guitars with Rosewood, be sure to play some.
They are offered in both laminated sides and backs or all solid wood.

Can't beat their prices.
I hadn't thought of Washburns. I've played many of their laminated back and sides models and just was never a fan. But I don't think I've tried an all solid and the prices are great I know.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
As I wrote I recently bought a Masterbilt AJ500MNS with case and I've really grown to like it. It really is much better IMO than my other guitars with their laminated back and sides.
I do prefer the sound of rosewood over mahogany/sapele, though, so I'm trying to find something like this guitar but with solid rosewood back and sides but at a price I can afford ... definitely under $1,000 and hopefully even less.
Used Larrivée D-03R, maybe?
Old 11-10-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Used Larrivée D-03R, maybe?
I've never played one so I know absolutely nothing about it the model at all but I've checked the used market and it seems possible.

As for the sound spectrum, I would like more of a bass-heavy or warm-sounding guitar, I guess somewhat Martin-ish at a non-Martin price, although I can , as I said, get an MMV online or even locally for about $1,000.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-10-2019, 12:34 PM

Here’s a few I could think of in your price range that might be good buys.

Eastman E8D
Alvarez MD60
Guild GAD 50 or D150
Martin Custom D15 special https://reverb.com/item/29329099-mar...stom-d-15-2004
Blueridge ( not sure of the model, maybe BR240 or
Something similar)
Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 PM

Here you go! all solid wood rosewood dreadnought guild. Guild makes great guitars even in China. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guild-gad-5...IAAOSw6MxasC4f
Old 11-10-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
How did it sound unplugged because that is all I'm after? I would probably never use the pickup but I could use the cutaway but I'm after a loud(ish) guitar to play at some acoustic jams near me so I'm concerned about if there is much of a drop in volume due to the cutaway. As I said a local person has one for sale but he or she hasn't gotten back to me and that price seems suspiciously low. However that AJ500MSN with the OHSC Epiphone case I got for only $300 from Guitar Center and it seems in very good condition and was looked at by a luthier friend very briefly.
It's pretty good. There is very little 'air' or top end sparkle in the sound. It's a tiny little bid dead to my ear, that said, all I have to compare it to is a koa taylor that has absolutely bags of sparkle. Too much sometimes. So your opinion of the sound may be miles different to mine and I'm still working to adjust my right-hand technique to such a different sounding guitar.

It certainly blew every other epiphone in the store (all of which were half the price to be fair) out of the water

I prefer my taylor for fingerpicking and arpeggios, I prefer the Epi for strumming, esp if I'm singing and playing. I feel like I'm competing with the taylor - the sound is just too rich or attention-grabbing if that makes sense; like i'm competing with the guitar. The Epi is much more mellow.

Last edited by RalphH; 11-10-2019 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:06 PM

Larrivee D-40R, probably what you’re looking for, the 40 series has a bit more bottom end due to it’s bracing.

Should be able to find a used one in your range.

Last edited by Rockysdad; 11-10-2019 at 01:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion