The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Has anyone tried the Fender Play App?

From an article about the Fender Play Subscription App
https://apple.news/AgjGrroF0RpuekRpWbTWb9A
Quote:
“As an industry, we do not have a problem attracting new entrants,” Fender CEO Andy Mooney said in a presentation in New York City recently. The “bad news is we have a retention challenge.”
According to Fender, the majority of first-time guitar buyers — 90% — abandon the instrument within the first year.
That sharp drop-off rate presented a massive financial opportunity, Mooney explained.
Because “the 10% that don't give up ... they tend to connect to the instrument for life,” he said. “They own five to seven guitars during the lifetime, they buy multiple amps, multiple accessories, they drive the hardware side of the business and they spend about $10,000 through life.”
Looks like a good move for Fender. Has anyone checked the app out?
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 11-06-2019, 02:43 AM

Nope...Isn't it for just for beginners?
Old 11-11-2019, 12:41 PM

I'm not a beginner but figured $5 a month was worth it to check out beyond the 14-day trial. (I got a discount when I bought my Tele.) You can pick your "path" (country, pop, folk, blues, rock) and then there are 5 levels that progress in difficulty. For each skill there is a song or part of a song in your chosen path that has you practice that skill. For example, after you learn bass note strumming you play Mama Tried in level 3 of the country path.

The videos are well done and after each instructional piece there is practice section with a built-in metronome that you can slow down if needed. Starting in level 2 you get some theory mixed in as well. You can play the songs from any of the paths and even change your path.

I would definitely recommend this for a beginner player since the pacing is well done and the materials are clear. A subscription would be a good gift for a beginner, and I imagine Fender will promote the idea of buying a subscription to go with a new instrument at the holidays. Someone who is intermediate might pick up a few nuggets, which is where I am at. I think I'll be through all the stuff I need in the next couple months. That is, unless I decide to buy a bass and start down that rabbit hole.

Hope this helps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars