The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-02-2019, 08:57 AM

Default First time CF guidance

Hello guys.

I’ve been playing a number of years but only really found out about CF guitars recently.

I saw a video of the McPherson Sable which really grabbed my attention, first because of the look but mostly the sound which felt like a sound that I’ve been searching for for a while but not really been able to land on.

I have 4 children at home (all boys) which means I’m generally reluctant to have my instruments out around them. When I play live at church, it’s again a fairly rough and ready setting with lots of kids around to having many notes worth of thin wooden guitar around just makes me a bit nervous.

So I’ve really been curious about CF guitars and whether they’d offer me something. Being more hard wearing than wood is obviously a good thing, but, theoretically the sound is also what I’m after.

My favourite acoustics have been hog dreadnaughts, specifically J45 (I have the walnut one at the moment) but also enjoyed for a time a short scale D18 and also have sometimes enjoyed the Taylor 314.

I’m a strumming player and play relatively firmly. What I like are clean, chiming,sparkly but not thin sounds. I have liked some J200s in the past, but I’m really not big enough to get away with it. It’s uncomfortable and frankly looks silly on me!

The trouble is that I’m based in the Uk and finding any to try is a real hassle.

There’s one shop that sells Rainsongs but that’s a good few hours drive away.

I’m really attracted to the Emeralds but the trouble I’m finding is many good demos. Those that seem to have been recorded well seem mostly to be Irish style fingerpicking which is just not what I play. I appreciate they have a good return policy, but it’s a lot of money to drop on a tryout!

So, based on what I’ve said above, what would you recommend I look at in the CF world for a bright clean strumming guitar?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Old 11-02-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum, Jeremy. I own both Rainsongs and Emeralds and love each for different reasons. If I owned just a single carbon fiber guitar, however, it would be a Rainsong H-DR1100N2 https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....-dr1100n2.html. That model doesn't include electronics (which to me is an advantage) but a guitar tech can add the system of your choice if you desire. I believe that the H-DR1100N2 is presently Rainsong's least expensive guitar but it neither looks or feels like it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-02-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:21 AM

That’s interesting, thanks.

I found a good video of that one and it did sound good.

I’m curious. How would you compare the sound of that dreadnought to the X20?

And also, what are the differences you perceive between the rainsong hybrid line and the classic? I know they are described as warmer and some say the classic are too harsh and brittle?

I appreciate this is all entirely subjective!

Thanks
Old 11-02-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWEagles View Post
Hello guys.

So, based on what I’ve said above, what would you recommend I look at in the CF world for a bright clean strumming guitar?

Thanks!

Jeremy
Rainsong Dreadnought. I'd hurry up to the shop a few hours away, Rainsong is discontinuing a LOT of models.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Something from the other side...I've owned several of both brands. I prefer the Emeralds for their contours, fit and a bit warmer sound. The RS guitars are just too harsh for me. We all be different in what we prefer. Good luck with your search. But be warned, the CF guitars are a bit addicting when you start looking at RS, Emeralds, CA, McPherson, etc.....they all offer something a bit different and they are all pretty darn good no matter how you look at it.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:23 AM

A strummer and a dreadnought guy you say...easy answer...Emerald X30!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:06 AM

A friend who owns a Classic DR-1000 and often plays my Classic WS-1000 from the same build era also LOVES my X30 and desperately wants to buy it from me. And another friend who loves Martin dreadnoughts (and has actually built his own D-28 clone) also loves his X30. The Classic series is usually described as having the most crystalline, piano-like tone. Hybrid and other variants are usually described as warmer.

I cannot speak to the full-sized CA or McPherson guitars, having never owned any. To me the X30 feels bigger than a dreadnought, even with the contours. Feel is so personal and subjective. But X30 also projects better too - think D-28 with turbo-boost.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:12 AM

If you are not too far from Surrey there's a dealer selling a Blackbird lucky 13 which is superb.
Nick
Old 11-03-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv6 View Post
If you are not too far from Surrey there's a dealer selling a Blackbird lucky 13 which is superb.
I have an X20 and a Lucky 13. I also still have a smattering of other wood guitars (Taylor, Fender, Ibanez etc...), but these are the two that get the most play time by me.

Both the CFs are superb instruments. I keep thinking I should sell one or the other, but I like both too much. The Lucky 13 probably isn't as versatile as the X20, but it's got some great sound the X20 does not have. I love playing blues and fingerpicking on the Lucky. Of the two, the X20 is definitely the strummer. It can do pretty much anything acoustic guitar wise, so it would be the one I took if I could only choose one. That said, you should take a strum on the Lucky 13 if it's close enough to touch. You might find it perfect for your needs.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-03-2019, 10:57 PM

Over the last few weeks, my recent play time has been split about equally between my X20 and my Lucky 13. If I had to part with one of them, it would be the Lucky 13, even though I like it a lot. Lucky 13 is a small guitar that feels more like an X7 (we have the 2018 and earlier version 2) but sounds bigger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber