The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-31-2019, 10:48 AM

Default Advice on nylon string with cutaway and electronics?

I'm thinking of getting a nylon string guitar with a cutaway and electronics and wanted to see what you guys would recommend. I already have a traditional classical guitar, so this would be for playing jazz and bossa nova music. I do have a Godin multiac, which sounds great plugged in, but is useless acoustically. I'd like to have something that sounds great plugged in, but also sounds great acoustically as well. I would like to be able to record with it. I don't require a traditional classical width, and would enjoy having a neck closer to a traditional acoustic guitar. I'm not looking to spend too much either, lets' keep it around $1000. Thanks for all help!
Old 10-31-2019, 11:21 AM

The best selling hybrid is still the NTX from Yamaha. Starts at 500$++ Absolutely amazing electronics. No mic needed in the mix imo. Available in Cedar and Spruce in your price range. Probably the most over built nylon guitar around. Not a deep guitar and it is over braced a bit so dont expect full size classical acoustic sound. Sounds good but not project as much as I would like. Only available in 14 fret to the body. The NCX line is the full size classical version of this guitar with a 2 inch nut. Same elctronics and build quality. A tad fuller then the thinner NTX. My Cedar top NCX turned pretty muddy after a year just fyi. Some people like that but I craved the crisp tone it had out of the box..

The Cordoba Fusion series in that price range is not all that bad. Like all Cordoba in that range you have good and bad. Smaller then a standard classical in depth. Great sound. Available in cedar and spruce tops. Available in 12 or 14 fret. Not so great electronics...

Taylor released the Academy 12e. Its the Taylor Grand body shape with a beveled arm rest. It has a spruce top. I sold mine. What a pile of dung it was. It was the most bland cedar top nylon I ever heard even with extra high tension trebs on it. I just could not get it to sound good. It refused to pop. It projects like a Cordoba c5.... The arm rest was pretty cool but otherwise I was not happy with it.

Good luck on your hunt. I have played a few used Kremona hybrids that sounded great but nobody ever has them in stock..
Old 10-31-2019, 12:02 PM

I can't say that I did a lot of comparison shopping, but I am quite happy with my Cordoba Orchestra Fusion 12. Very resonant tone with deep bass. Though it has electronics, I never use them.

Please note that the Cordoba Orchestra Fusion 12 is a different guitar from the Cordoba Fusion 12. Can't say that I have compared them, but the latter guitar costs substantially less.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:45 PM

My go to for that is my Taylor NS72ce. If you want new then the Taylor JMSM. Based on your price point, a used NS72 would still be out of the range so then an NS34CE used should fit.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Cordoba RCWE. Great guitar. No longer made but easily found online. A step up from most everything else.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:56 PM

There's also Tanglewood's TWCE Winter Leaf range

https://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/...eaf-classical/
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 10-31-2019, 04:16 PM

If your interested in Cordoba, this should be helpful:

http://cordobamusicgroup.com/datasha...nsert_2017.pdf
Old 10-31-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Please note that the Cordoba Orchestra Fusion 12 is a different guitar from the Cordoba Fusion 12. Can't say that I have compared them, but the latter guitar costs substantially less.
Sweetwater sells the Orchestra and Fusion for the same price, $799. https://www.sweetwater.com/c4--Cordoba--Guitars

But there are lots of different types of Fusions. As far as I can tell the Orchestra is the only one of the Fusion series that has an Ebony Fingerboard & Rosewood back/sides (laminated) with either a cedar or spruce top.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:03 PM

Personal preference of course, but I gig with (and am very happy with) Taylor Nylons. Lower end series, but still very good, can be found used for under 1000 for sure.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:18 AM

I tried a number of $500-600 hybrid nylon string guitars and was never really happy with them. This included the old Taylor 114ce-N that had Sapele layered wood.
Then I tried the newer walnut layered model and loved the sound and feel of it. I paid a lot less than the MSRP everyone shows, purchasing from a store after a Taylor Road Show.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...l-sitka-spruce

If you do a search on Sweetwater this ^^ shows @ $999. Do a google and you find a Sweetwater page @ $899.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-01-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
I'm thinking of getting a nylon string guitar with a cutaway and electronics and wanted to see what you guys would recommend. I already have a traditional classical guitar, so this would be for playing jazz and bossa nova music. I do have a Godin multiac, which sounds great plugged in, but is useless acoustically. I'd like to have something that sounds great plugged in, but also sounds great acoustically as well. I would like to be able to record with it. I don't require a traditional classical width, and would enjoy having a neck closer to a traditional acoustic guitar. I'm not looking to spend too much either, lets' keep it around $1000. Thanks for all help!
Have you heard of the Unico by Gallato ? It's a guitar you might be interested in... It has a slim body, quite like the Godin's, but it's all hollow; and with a depth of 7,5 mms I think, is nearly as loud as an ordinary classical or flamenco guitar.., due to a peculiar system of two sound-ports - one on the upper side, and one by the end of the fingerboard...It comes with a Fishman onboard electronics, (BBand on some previous models)...They are better than the Alhambras that have a similar body's depth, in my experience it seems.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I can't say that I did a lot of comparison shopping, but I am quite happy with my Cordoba Orchestra Fusion 12. Very resonant tone with deep bass. Though it has electronics, I never use them.

The Orchestra model has a slightly deeper lower bout, about 3/4 of an inch I my memory is correct. It also has laminated rosewood back and sides. Otherwise its the same instrument. To be honest I tried both and they sound exactly the same.
Old 11-01-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Sweetwater sells the Orchestra and Fusion for the same price, $799. https://www.sweetwater.com/c4--Cordoba--Guitars

But there are lots of different types of Fusions. As far as I can tell the Orchestra is the only one of the Fusion series that has an Ebony Fingerboard & Rosewood back/sides (laminated) with either a cedar or spruce top.
If you are comparing cedar to cedar the fusino is several hundred less.
Old 11-01-2019, 03:33 PM

Thanks for all suggestions guys. I'll check out the Cordobas. It looks like most of these have laminate backs? I would prefer all solid woods, and rosewood at that.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaneallen View Post
Thanks for all suggestions guys. I'll check out the Cordobas. It looks like most of these have laminate backs? (...)
The GK PRO, if it's still made hasn't

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical