The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-29-2019, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Default First time performing?

Any tips? Just a small country fair type of setting on Halloween. Maybe 10 songs or so.

Do you have a printed play list or use your phone? Or, do I need to memorize that? I plan to have the songs memorized that I play, but the play list maybe not.

Geesh, I'm lost...
Old 10-29-2019, 09:09 PM

I like a printed playlist, I've seen some phone use, whatever is easiest for you.
The less you have to remember (which can increase anxiety) the better. Have extra picks, capos, cables etc.

The most important thing to remember, believe it or not, is to enjoy yourself. That's one thing that audiences everywhere enjoy.

Smile as appropriate - it connects you to the audience and can relax your nerves.

I recommend you choose material you feel the most confident playing - if there is a mistake you can recover more easily than something more challenging.

Careful - for some of us it is habit-forming

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-29-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Do you have a printed play list or use your phone? Or, do I need to memorize that? I plan to have the songs memorized that I play, but the play list maybe not.
Printed, if you're doing more than two or three songs. No shame in having your set list written up; I include capo positions, effects settings and other reminders too. Even if you use your phone/tablet, have printed copies as backup. Heck, once you get famous enough, people will steal them after the show for souvenirs.

Also, don't forget to run through your set several times, in order, even including any banter or stories, WITH microphone and any amplification you plan to use. Don't stop if you mess up, practice playing on through. Dress rehearsal, as it were.
Old 10-30-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
...Just a small country fair type of setting on Halloween....
Have a good one, man!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 10-30-2019, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Any tips? Just a small country fair type of setting on Halloween. Maybe 10 songs or so.

Geesh, I'm lost...
Old school: write the set list on a piece of paper small enough to tape to the top side of your guitar. (Yes, no one cared about possible damage to the finish back in those days...) Alternatively, if you can't stand to tape it to your guitar, tape it to the mic stand.

Or, print it out big enough to read from the floor (without bending down), or taped to the back of a PA speaker (if there is one and it's close enough).

The issue, if it's an outdoor gig, is pieces of paper being blown away by the slightest breeze - usually at the exact moment you need to refer to them; hence the tape, or a weight if it's on the floor (pinned by leg of mic stand?)

Of course, a list on your phone won't blow away, but - if you have to get it out of a pocket - do you want the audience to think you're checking your texts or emails on stage? Solution - get a dedicated clip to fix it to a mic stand. And obviously make sure your phone is charged...
Old 10-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I don't use "set lists" anymore, nor do I try to "figure out" what I'll play... not until I'm at the venue and actually playing for folks. I have found that, too many times, all my "good ideas" about what songs to play just fly out the window when I'm up on stage and getting a feel for the audience.

I will have certain songs that I plan on playing, but that's never set in stone. I just relax, be warmed up and ready to go, and TRUST MYSELF! I have found that focusing on "what I really want to bring to people" through my playing keeps me on track much better than trying to figure out what songs I'll play...

You've been playing and singing for a LONG time; you've got this! Remember to HAVE FUN!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by jseth; 10-30-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I don't use "set lists" anymore, nor do I try to "figure out" what I'll play... not until I'm at the venue and actually playing for folks. I have found that, too many times, all my "good ideas" about what songs to play just fly out the window when I'm up on stage and getting a feel for the audience.

I will have certain songs that I plan on playing, but that's never set in stone. I just relax, be warmed up and ready to go, and TRUST MYSELF! I have found that focusing on "what I really want to bring to people" through my playing keeps me on track much better than trying to figure out what songs I'll play...

You've been playing and singing for a LONG time; you've got this! Remember to HAVE FUN!
I agree with all this. As a solo performer, a set list needn't be "set in stone". You need to allow flexibility according to the audience - to drop a song or add one, and so on.
At the same time, especially for a beginner, it's good to have it as a crutch. It saves you having to remember what you'd planned to play, because stage nerves can make your mind go blank; and you don't want to be standing there trying to think of what to play next.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:59 AM

It never fails ... even at an open mic I'll intend to play three songs. Play the first one, and then forget what the other two were! I always have my set list ... phone, iPad, paper, napkin, whatever. Song names, key, and any notes (for me or to share with the audience).
Old 10-31-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Geesh, I'm lost...
For 10 songs I would either use the Notes app on my phone, or typical notebook size paper list, placed on floor held by mic stand foot, or some such.
As others have noted you can mix order to match your read on the audience

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 10-31-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
For 10 songs I would either use the Notes app on my phone, or typical notebook size paper list, placed on floor held by mic stand foot, or some such.
As others have noted you can mix order to match your read on the audience
I've found that "backing up" the paper by gluing it to a heavy cardboard stock paper or material can help with this. Won't blow around (usually!). Much more secure.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 10-31-2019, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! I am certainly open to any more suggestions about performing since it is my goal to actually do SOMETHING soon.

I am not doing the carnival that I had anticipated tonight due to something coming up, but will certainly be trying my hand at this either later this year or in early 2020.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:55 PM

After playing hundreds of gigs over going on 40 years, I can still remember the adrenalin rush of my first public performance. It can add a variable to the experience that can’t be simulated in practice.

My advice is to take away the influences that will make the experience stressful. Play songs that you know well, ones you could play in your sleep - this is especially true for the first one or two. Keep arrangements simple. The worry of playing ornate passages smoothly adds to the adrenalin surge. Use memory aids as needed - and don’t let anyone shame you about this; I use an iPad with my entire repertoire on it. Later in your performance career, you can improvise your set list and play things that are inspired by the audience in front of you, but for now, play stuff you are very familiar with and have rehearsed.

Tune your guitar, sing confidently and smile.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write