The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-25-2019, 01:12 PM

Default Tele

I currently don't own an electric guitar and you know how things come in threes.
Well i have recently purchased a new acoustic and a classical guitar crossover. Love them to bits but I thought what the proverbial. I quite fancy a Telecaster electric to complete the set. Nothing fancy as I will be new to electric playing so any suggestions to satisfy this particular attack of GAS or should that be ELECTRIC! Looking around I see that nut widths seem lower on Telecasters> I am ok with either 1/3/4 or 1/11/16 on my acoustics. What should I be looking at in the budget range that would have good pick-ups?
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 10-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
I currently don't own an electric guitar and you know how things come in threes.
Well i have recently purchased a new acoustic and a classical guitar crossover. Love them to bits but I thought what the proverbial. I quite fancy a Telecaster electric to complete the set. Nothing fancy as I will be new to electric playing so any suggestions to satisfy this particular attack of GAS or should that be ELECTRIC! Looking around I see that nut widths seem lower on Telecasters> I am ok with either 1/3/4 or 1/11/16 on my acoustics. What should I be looking at in the budget range that would have good pick-ups?
I really like the "Nashville Deluxe" Telecasters with 3 pickups and a 5-way blade switch; they're MIM, so not terribly expensive, especially if you can find a good used one. The earlier versions of this came with USA Tex-Mex Tele pickups in the bridge and neck, and a middle pickup that's a Texas Special Strat pickup, RWRP so you get some hum cancellation in positions 2 and 4. Also, if it makes a difference to you, the "Honey Blonde" color had an Ash body...the others are Alder.

The later versions come with Fender Noiseless Tele pups...I'm not certain when they switched to these or what generation of noiseless they are.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 10-25-2019, 01:34 PM

Most of the electrics on the market are 1 11/16". Neck profiles differ greater though.

One thing to consider is an amp. Expect to get ~ 50% of your tone from your amp.

What do you consider budget range? That will help us focus. Some Squiers and the Fender Mexican tend to perform well in the budget range.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:37 PM

Many thanks. I will look into those. Second hand i think but should be doable.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 10-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

The new “Player Series” from Fender are ridiculously good guitars with many of the same offerings as the US models. 22 Frets, Alnico 5 pickups, 2 point trems on the Strats, outstanding quality. Makes it hard to justify the US models.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 10-25-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Most of the electrics on the market are 1 11/16". Neck profiles differ greater though.

One thing to consider is an amp. Expect to get ~ 50% of your tone from your amp.

What do you consider budget range? That will help us focus. Some Squiers and the Fender Mexican tend to perform well in the budget range.
Many thanks for those points. I suppose as a novice electric player maybe I should ask what's the bare minimum i need to spend to get a reasonably performing instrument or what should I not consider? I'm thinking £300 UK sterling or thereabouts
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 10-25-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
Many thanks for those points. I suppose as a novice electric player maybe I should ask what's the bare minimum i need to spend to get a reasonably performing instrument or what should I not consider? I'm thinking £300 UK sterling or thereabouts
Squire Classic Vibe series always has great reviews. Guessing a Made in Mexico Fender is going to be out of your price range though. Are there any G&Ls in the UK?

Buy used if you have the option. It's the same as with acoustics - great deals and you can usually sell for what you paid for if you decide to move on.

It's an exciting time shopping for you new electric. One recommendation is to go to your local shop(s) and play as many electrics as you can. You might find something that surprises you ... like an SG or Les Paul .
Old 10-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
The new “Player Series” from Fender are ridiculously good guitars with many of the same offerings as the US models. 22 Frets, Alnico 5 pickups, outstanding quality. Makes it hard to justify the US models.

The above!
Old 10-25-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Buy used if you have the option. It's the same as with acoustics - great deals and you can usually sell for what you paid for if you decide to move on.
Agreed 100%
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 10-25-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
The new “Player Series” from Fender are ridiculously good guitars with many of the same offerings as the US models. 22 Frets, Alnico 5 pickups, 2 point trems on the Strats, outstanding quality. Makes it hard to justify the US models.
Ok thanks I'll check them out. Decided to go and try some models out tomorrow to get a feeling for the guitar. The narrow necks worry me slightly.
Hopefully allay my fears of too narrow nut width
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 10-25-2019, 04:21 PM

The only Telecaster (actually called a “Deluxe”, some would say not a ‘real’ Tele) that I have that feels like it has a true 1 11/16” nut width, has a wide 12” radius fretboard. The usual 9.5 or 7.25 (increasingly rounded) feels closer to 1 5/8” (more narrow) nut width. A very different feel to many acoustic guitars, and as Dru says (above) try out different kinds of guitars, you may find a Gibson SG style more to your liking. Telecasters share some similar appearances, but there are differences model to model, and an amp is a good 50% of the equation.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Squire Classic Vibe series always has great reviews. Guessing a Made in Mexico Fender is going to be out of your price range though. Are there any G&Ls in the UK?

It's an exciting time shopping for you new electric. One recommendation is to go to your local shop(s) and play as many electrics as you can. You might find something that surprises you ... like an SG or Les Paul .
Yes you are right. Little trip planned for tomorrow. Thanks.
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 10-25-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The only Telecaster (actually called a “Deluxe”, some would say not a ‘real’ Tele) that I have that feels like it has a true 1 11/16” nut width, has a wide 12” radius fretboard. The usual 9.5 or 7.25 (increasingly rounded) feels closer to 1 5/8” (more narrow) nut width. A very different feel to many acoustic guitars, and as Dru says (above) try out different kinds of guitars, you may find a Gibson SG style more to your liking. Telecasters share some similar appearances, but there are differences model to model, and an amp is a good 50% of the equation.
Thanks I'll get back tomorrow evening with some thoughts and maybe more questions
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
Old 10-25-2019, 04:37 PM

If you have GAS for a Telecaster then that's what you should get.

Just about every Telecaster (and Stratocaster) guitar that I've picked up had a nice "C" shape neck profile making it easy to play. (Or to get used to). The only Telecaster that was hard to play was a custom shop relic Telecaster at my local music store which had a neck like a baseball bat.

MIM Fenders are great value for money compared to their USA made counterparts. (Although I've noticed here in Australia that they are more expensive than they used to be). New or second hand, that's what I'd be doing.

Good luck!

Last edited by Steel and wood; 10-25-2019 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:51 PM

Default Tele it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
If you have GAS for a Telecaster then that's what you should get.

Just about every Telecaster (and Stratocaster) guitar that I've picked up had a nice "C" shape neck profile making it easy to play. (Or to get used to). The only Telecaster that was hard to play was a custom shop relic Telecaster at my local music store which a neck like a baseball bat.

MIM Fenders are great value for money compared to their USA made counterparts. (Although I've noticed here in Australia that they are more expensive than they used to be). New or second hand, that's what I'd be doing.

Good luck!
I agree just need to try for size. I'm thinking classic vibe or mim at the moment
Seen a few on ebay that might be possible contenders. Wish me look. Of course then a suitable amp?
D45 Replica in open D
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars