The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Hi David, sorry to hear about your cycling accident and your injury.

In 1996 I also went over the handlebars, but fortunately I landed on my head!

Of course I was wearing a helmet, which was cracked and I broke a collarbone which never healed and about ten years later needed an op.

Fingers are very different, and it will take as long as it takes but I truly hope for the best ... you have had an x-ray and medical advice I hope?
Old 02-20-2020, 03:40 PM

Default 6 months on

Today I woke up (thank God!)

It has been six months since my bicycle accident. I wanted to drop a note to all the agf'rs here. This is just to let anyone reading this time does heal.

I got some doctor input at 3 months, a CT scan at that time which confirmed the dr's diagnosis of a "fracture dislocation" of the meta carpal at the hamate (wrist attachment). It is very easy to miss at the initial ER visit.

Essentially it puts the ring and pinky in a mis-aligned sort of situation. The pinky doesn't lay against the ring finger properly. His prognosis was he needed to cut my hand open, screw, staple, wire after doing some scar tissue repair, spend 3-4 months in recovery and oh, by the way no guarantees. Ugh.

I decided not to do that surgery.

I had one physical therapist visit. He said hand function was good (or very good) for the circumstances. He also said grip strength was about 50% and would take 2 months of work to get back (that thera-putty is awesome). His prognosis was that he would consider it 100% or better...if I wasn't a guitar player. That was 2 months ago.

Today, two months later all the swelling is completely down which as of today allows my fingers to fall together fairly well. My grip is good and getting better. As of now I still have some stiffness and light pain that works it's way out. I definitely can overwork my hand but it recovers consistently.

My guitar playing is coming along and I am recovering my repertoire (Some songs I have not played since August and am having to find my way through them).

My fingers are not 100%. I still have to 'force' some positions which requires much effort and discomfort, not to mention poor intonation. I believe I will make full recovery over time. I have even written a new song for my new grand daughter that I hope to finish soon. More of my guitaristic driviling, but it will always be the song that connects me to her.

Thanks for the support on this forum, I hope to post new music soon.

If anybody has any questions about "hand injuries" let me know. I have to tell you it has been unusual re finding "normal" feelings in my hand...goofy might be the right word.

Be well,
D

Old 02-21-2020, 08:38 AM

I dislocated the middle finger of my fretting hand after a mountain bike accident a few years ago. It was the middle joint and it was more than 90 degrees from straight. Took two yanks to get it back in.

The joint is a bit bigger than the one on my other hand, it hurts a bit in cold weather but other than that it is fine now, and I could play ok about 6 months after doing it.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:51 PM

I dislocated the middle two fingers on my right hand 6 months ago. I still can't make a fist, they are still very stiff, the knuckles are still very swollen and they don't "stack" against each other, to use your suggestion. My doctor told me to expect a couple of years before they are something like "normal", as his personal experience from doing similar injuries to his hands playing rugby. They do move freely and accurately for typing, for example, and they curve just fine for finger picking, which is how I mostly play now. Left hand/arm injuries from the same fall preclude me from fretting at all, so I have been learning lap steel and lap dobro.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write