The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-11-2019, 08:56 AM

Default Veteran’s Day

May I give a hand to all who have served our cities, counties, states, and country. Your work and efforts to make this a better placed are appreciated.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
May I give a hand to all who have served our cities, counties, states, and country. Your work and efforts to make this a better placed are appreciated.

!!
Old 11-11-2019, 09:27 AM

To all our veteran AGF members, thank you for your service...
Old 11-11-2019, 09:28 AM

Like I often say when thanked by a clerk or such when showing ID,

"Thank you for thanking me"
Old 11-11-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post

Yes indeed.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:12 AM

As a freedom loving American I APPRECIATE what those who serve have done for me.

https://www.newsweek.com/veterans-th...upport-1470776
Old 11-11-2019, 11:28 AM

100 years since 11/11/1919. Remembrance Day. Veterans Day. My thanks to those who served.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 11-11-2019, 12:31 PM

At the doctor's office today, as I was walking in I noticed two elderly gentlemen, one with a walker, the other with a cane, wearing hats, waiting for the bus. Both had served in WWII. I walked up, shook their hands, said "thanks. I'm here because you were there". One teared up, the other smiled. I choked up a bit too.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

As a vet of Viet Nam, I suppose there are dozens of Viet Nam vets on this forum. Our return was not hailed. Many were scoffed, well, you know the story. Now, we are being thanked, and for one, it is truly appreciated. God bless all of our vets, regardless of when and where they served.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 PM

Dedicated to the Veterans of the USA and the Veterans of all its allies throughout the free world. I hope you find this appropriate for Veterans Day and Remembrance Day.
We thank you for your great and honorable service.

Old 11-12-2019, 02:53 AM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
As a vet of Viet Nam, I suppose there are dozens of Viet Nam vets on this forum. Our return was not hailed. Many were scoffed, well, you know the story. Now, we are being thanked, and for one, it is truly appreciated. God bless all of our vets, regardless of when and where they served.
As another Vietnam vet, I find it very uncomfortable when people thank me for my service, or tell me, "Welcome Home" - Even though I know they mean well when they do so......... I'm not proud of what I did there. I just wish it had never happened, and all those dead people could have had the joys of life I've known for the last 50 years.... Of course, I just humbly tell them thank you......

Don

Last edited by Don Lampson; 11-12-2019 at 02:55 AM. Reason: left out words
Old 11-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
As another Vietnam vet, I find it very uncomfortable when people thank me for my service, or tell me, "Welcome Home" - Even though I know they mean well when they do so......... I'm not proud of what I did there. I just wish it had never happened, and all those dead people could have had the joys of life I've known for the last 50 years.... Of course, I just humbly tell them thank you......

Don
That's why I posted what I did at #6 and your feelings are far from a rarity. So yeah, I appreciate your doing what our government told you to do so many years ago. Not your choice I totally understand but you made a sacrifice (of part of your youth at the very least) and so I appreciate that but try not to outright "thank" people for some of the reasons you've mentioned.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post

My feelings about having served are similar. I didn't serve during a time of conflict and it was actually my first job so likely my experience was easier than many here on AGF who also served so I feel kind of self conscious and a little embarrassed when I admit to being a veteran. Suffice it to say, I feel it was the best decision I ever made in life and I genuinely feel that it was a privilege to have served. I also feel like I came out of the experience having learned more than I did when I went back to college.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
My feelings about having served are similar. I didn't serve during a time of conflict and it was actually my first job so likely my experience was easier than many here on AGF who also served so I feel kind of self conscious and a little embarrassed when I admit to being a veteran. Suffice it to say, I feel it was the best decision I ever made in life and I genuinely feel that it was a privilege to have served. I also feel like I came out of the experience having learned more than I did when I went back to college.
Would imagine there are many of us. I joined USAF on the tail end of Nam in 1972 for an education. My only "over seas" tour was a year in Alaska. My last 5 years were at George AFB. Wife worked on base, we had it great. Although a career wasn't for me, those 8 years gave me an education of a lifetime.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic