The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Smile Hooray!

Woohoo! So glad to hear your are feeling so much better!!! May it continue.

Have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 10-17-2019, 05:45 PM

So good to hear, a new and improved Bruce which may translate to even better Sexauer guitars if that is even possible as mine is pretty much beyond reproach.

I guess we will count on you for March!!! Kathy has a special place in her heart for you, so she will be glad to hear this (there is no accounting for taste hahaha).
Old 10-17-2019, 05:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

I had lunch in Calistoga today with Linda and her friend Ava (new to me) who is a dedicated Bernie supporter . . . a very good lunch (Hydro Grill) and some swag changed hands. What a beautiful day, things are looking rosy.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have time on my hands as I recover (which is going well, thank you) and this week I spent some time entertaining a local fellow, Donald Mccrea, who says he is writing a book on Petaluma artists. He encountered my work some time ago when visiting Schoenberg Guitars, so want to include me. WHY NOT?

Here are a couple of images Don snapped which he passed on to me this morning:

Old 11-07-2019, 04:43 PM

Bruce, I'm so glad to know you came through ok and are on the road to recovery!
Old 12-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Just to bump this up -

Bruce had a minor setback, a small blockage in a feeder outside where they had done all their internal work, and it had him back in the cath lab to figure it out. It turned out to be easily resolved with a new stint, and other than a few sheepish looks from the cardio team for not catching it before, all seems to be great and after a quick overnight in the hospital, Bruce is home today.

This doesn't affect his general recovery or plans to be back full time in the shop by the new year, and other than adding a few days without playing guitar while his wrist heals up (they're doing stints thru the wrist now!) this should get him back to his normal 110% output.

And just to mention, he's not been idling this time away - I think he's been giving his work and his music some serious thought, a perspective that is only possible by being away from the bench for a while, and I would not be at all surprised to see some very interesting new pieces, both guitars and music, coming from him during the new year -

But I'm sure Bruce will fill us all in as we look forward to Sexauer 2020, pt 1 -
Old 12-01-2019, 04:27 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Thanks so much for the update, tadol, it had been a while since we saw anything on this thread and I had begun to wonder if things were still going ok. I know I'm not the only one who's constantly on the lookout for more Sexauer activity. Keep your chin up, Bruce, wishing you all the best for a continued complete recovery!
Old 12-01-2019, 04:53 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am home already! And I feel amazingly good considering LESS than 24 hours ago I was in the CathLab! While I'd rather not have been there at all, it is great that it is there when I/we need it.

I had intended to build a "practice" guitar starting last Friday (after T-day) to get my chops up before working for an actual customer on 1/1/20, and instead spent 2 more days under care. But if how I feel today is truly indicative, I will soon be ahead of the curve I was on days ago.

Some of you know that I am a bit of a motor head. For several years I have had a Lotus 7 vintage sports car which I autoX'd with my local Sports Car Club, ESCA. It was a very demanding car; in no way at all soft or unforgiving, and I sold it a few weeks ago, giving me both "extra" cash and garage space. Empty space like to be filled, so I have acquired a new ND Miata. I took advantage of Black Friday sales (just before being admitted) to order an audio enhancement exhaust system and stiffer sways as well as Koni adjustable shocks. I will use these parts to move my Miata an the direction of being a race car . . . the first time I have undertaken modifying a brand new ride. For a moment, it looked like I had acquired this car in celebration of my recovery a bit too soon.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:32 PM

Sorry for the setback Bruce, but it sounds like a quick fix and that you may already be feeling the benefits of it!

I love little Mazda's. I had an RX8 for several years in a rich deep maroon that they only made 1500 of. Those things handle like no car I have had since. No body roll and turned on a dime with magical feedback to the driver. I hear that to be true of the Miatas also although I have not driven one of those. They are sexy looking for sure.

I am glad you got the car to "reward" yourself for the recovery! Well done, sounds like you are well on your way to make it your own.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile Keep getting better!!!

So glad the problem was found and fixed!!!

As for Miatas, Cindy had one she loved, but just not practical where we live in the Mountains.

My best friend races his Miata with the San Diego Motocross? Not sure if that is correct...

Have FUN and go FAST!!! Whee. And I can't wait to see what you dream up next!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 AM

I'm sure glad to hear you're on your feet and feeling better, Bruce.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Glad to hear you're back on the mend and will be back at the bench soon.

Enjoy your new ride--looking forward to seeing you at BIG(er)!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 12-05-2019, 06:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I went back to my bench for the first time since I was on someone else's bench. Sept. 18 through December 5, my longest absence since 1967 when I naively started making a guitar for myself.

I was going to make an Alaskan Yellow Cedar flamenco, but I realized I will have nothing new for BIG as I am fully booked working for others between now and summer. This is my chance. Someone we all know commented at last year's BIG that all 4 of the guitars I brought were small. I did bring a 15"er, similar to an OM, but I thought I'd respond and make something BIGger for this year's show.

This will be a 16" wide acoustic flat top, a model I call a "Penngrove". It will be similar to the Oz B'wood guitar I made for Bob Berger a bit over a year ago, but wider in the waist and the upper bout. The name refers to a little town near Petaluma, where I live, which seems like a classic "western" town to me. And if I make a guitar well suited to a country or "folk" type singer, it is my Penngrove.

This one will be Belize' Rosewood (Dalbergia tucurensis) and a Tom Thiel sourced American Red Spruce top. I joined the plates a few minutes ago, and should have pics tomorrow.

Here's Bob's:

Old 12-06-2019, 08:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

The plates are joined and the rosette and backstrip are in. The back picture has an odd patina on the right that I don't see on the actual back. I'd take another shot but you'll see more soon enough.

Nice Adi!

The Amazon backstrip is as glued; still a mess:
Old 12-06-2019, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

I was pretty sure you couldn’t stay out of the shop ‘til January - looking forward to seeing this one come together!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop