The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Similar story except that I'm primarily a "big-clean tone" guy (think late-blonde/blackface Fender and blue-check Ampeg) playing straight old-school guitar/cable/amp, so as long as I have some crunch/mild OD available - whether a separate channel or riding the amp's natural sweet spot - and a well-set-up guitar I'm a happy man...
That's some big tone, Steve. I wasn't old school when I started in the last '80s but over the past 10 years I like the simpler stuff.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

A Vox AC4-112 is incoming as a second “flavor” to my arsenal. Simple...check. Great valve tones...check. Pedal friendly platform...check.

Not sure I’ll move my Lacquered Tweed BJ w/Jensen out as it’d be nice to have both sides of the tone that I dig, but, ya never know.

But, I’ll say simple certainly fits both these amps.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-03-2019, 07:54 PM

I spent more than a few years with a friend's 1965 Princeton Reverb. We were reunited last month. Still sounds splendid.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

I don't consider myself an electric guitar player although I own/play an amazing Telecaster Player and a Fender Super Champ X2 tweed (Special Edition from Sweetwater). Given that I'm strictly a living room rocker, my do-it-all amp works great for me...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

My primary amp is my Princeton Reverb. Not really a one trick pony, but close to it. My second amp is a Boss Katana 50 MK II. That is more of multi-tasker and fun to play around with. But, 90 percent of my playing is through the Princeton.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:53 AM

All my amps ('cept for the Passport mini, which is more of a baby PA) are tube or tube hybrid amps. The Bugera is a one trick pony (IMO) but can do many tricks when using my pedals (yaeh, I'm a pedal guy).

The Rock and Orange head can do clean to dirty, but both are single channel and I still pair them w/a multi fx/Hot Wax pedal or multi FX/Soul Food.

depending on the guitar chosen, I can get nice twangy country clean all the way to Santana style saturated leads.

I am considering a Katana though. Light. Quiet to loud. Diverse tones available via FS.

As we all know, tuba amps sound best when pushed a bit (especially for classic Rock) and the Bugera can actually be a bit loud for the small venues we play. Turn it down too much and you lose all that tubey "juice".

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-04-2019, 11:08 AM

I’ve been through a lot of amps over the last 30 years but each was purchased to use primarily on gigs. Blues, classic rock etc.

Current lineup:

Headstrong Lil King (64 Princeton reverb clone)
Nolatone Superbug 24 watts
Khan Pak amp 18 watts
Komet Constellation 33 watts, favorite amp all time
Louis Electric KR 12 45 watts
Bluetron Bluedrive 50 watts

not for gigs....all original (except caps 3 prong plug) 1964 Deluxe Reverb

They can all do clean to mean without pedals. After New Years Eve I will probably retire from band gigs and the amps will be for my at home amusement.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I don't consider myself an electric guitar player although I own/play an amazing Telecaster Player and a Fender Super Champ X2 tweed (Special Edition from Sweetwater). Given that I'm strictly a living room rocker, my do-it-all amp works great for me...
I think I know the exact Tele you’re referring to. Amazing...yes. Of course I may be biased.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-04-2019, 03:10 PM

Personally I think a Princeton Reverb is the perfect amp for all gigs. I use it with one pedal, a Mythical Overdrive, because although I LOVE the Blackface clean tone, the Princeton overdrive tone doesn't really do it for me. The Mythical Overdrive just makes it the perfect DO IT ALL amp for me. I love the onboard reverb and trem in the Princeton and that's really the only FX I need.
My Princeton Reverb is actually a clone made with vintage Fender transformers, and is handwired to the original Fender specs. It was made by Winnie Thomas and it is a fantastic version. It has all NOS vintage tubes in it. And it sounds GREAT!!!
Old 11-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamps View Post
I’ve been through a lot of amps over the last 30 years but each was purchased to use primarily on gigs. Blues, classic rock etc.

Current lineup:

Headstrong Lil King (64 Princeton reverb clone)
Nolatone Superbug 24 watts
Khan Pak amp 18 watts
Komet Constellation 33 watts, favorite amp all time
Louis Electric KR 12 45 watts
Bluetron Bluedrive 50 watts

not for gigs....all original (except caps 3 prong plug) 1964 Deluxe Reverb

They can all do clean to mean without pedals. After New Years Eve I will probably retire from band gigs and the amps will be for my at home amusement.
Welcome to the AGF, Tubeamps. Your username fits you well.

I've never heard of some of those amps. I found Khan Pak's website and they look like impressive amps. Located in Missouri. You should post some reviews on some of your amps here on the Electric sub forum.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Welcome to the AGF, Tubeamps. Your username fits you well.

I've never heard of some of those amps. I found Khan Pak's website and they look like impressive amps. Located in Missouri. You should post some reviews on some of your amps here on the Electric sub forum.
Thanks for the welcome.
The Khan is really impressive, especially if you are older. It weighs 6 1/2 lbs and delivers enough headroom for most gigs.

If you are interested in amps check out the Komet Constellation, one of the ultimate (outside of a Trainwreck) plug n play amps ever.

Y’all have a great forum, I’ve learned a lot just lurking.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamps View Post
Thanks for the welcome.
The Khan is really impressive, especially if you are older. It weighs 6 1/2 lbs and delivers enough headroom for most gigs.

If you are interested in amps check out the Komet Constellation, one of the ultimate (outside of a Trainwreck) plug n play amps ever.

Y’all have a great forum, I’ve learned a lot just lurking.
I just did a little googling on the Komet Constellation. Sounds like it's an amazing Marshall clone? What kind of tubes gives it 33 w?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

AC4 1x12 going back. Tube rattle. Not uncommon in combo amps. Especially when they place the tubes behind the speaker. Also, a bit boxy sounding. I believe the cab is too small for the 12” speaker to push much air. Also, the closed back makes it retain a ton of heat. Honestly it really made me appreciate my Lacquered Blues Junior. Bummed. But, it’s not like I don’t have a nice amp.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 11-06-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I just did a little googling on the Komet Constellation. Sounds like it's an amazing Marshall clone? What kind of tubes gives it 33 w?
Nothing like a Marshall. Runs on 4 EL 84s, the real difference lies in the pre amp tubes. The main channel runs a 6SN7, very much desired by high end audio guys.
You have no bass, treble,mid controls. You control the tone with your guitar volume. Even with volume at 9 o’clock this is a loud amp. With guitar volume rolled back great shimmering cleans, roll up the guitar volume and you end up with great overdrive tones with harmonics. Volume stays the same.

The other channel runs a 12ax7 and you can blend the amount of input from each channel.

Not an easy amp to learn how to use, but when you figure it out it is in a class of its own. Very touch sensitive.

The only downside is that 6SN7s tend to be microphonic, finding good ones can be a pain.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:35 PM

I have a lot of electric guitars, a lot of pedals, and quite a few amps. I find that, if it's a decent amp to begin with, even a one-trick-pony can gain a few new tricks using the right pedals. And we are in the golden age of pedals right now - never have there been so many good pedals being made for so few dollars. Some of the amp simulators are so good that you don't even need a real amp - just plug a tiny little pedal into the PA, and there you go. As for me, I always need to have at least one jack-of-all-trades amp around (currently a Boss Katana 100), and the rest just do what they do. A lot of them are in the closet awaiting their turn in the rotation, but these are in my music room now:
Vox AC-15C1
Fender Princeton Reverb RI
Fender EC Vibro Champ
Fender Excelsior ( a very underrated 13 watt, 1x15 tube amp)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars