The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

I play electric because i LOVE playing electric. It's a different instrument than acoustic. I tend to play an acoustic sort of like a piano - I play an electric more like drums and a horn. I love 'em both intensely and I'm not more than sort of OK on either.

But when I play electric and lay down a rhythm I like on my looper and start playing lead over it, I can lose myself in it and just BLOW - I don't have to think when I'm doing that - it's a close as I come to the music just channeling through me. It's not like when the music is channeling through a great musician, but there are moments that take me totally by surprise and I have to wonder, "where'd THAT come from"? It's a close as I come to pure musical spontaneity and creativity anymore (used to happen when I played with other folks a lot more).

On acoustic, I'm either strumming, picking, and singing, or I'm working on my highly fledgling fingerpicking endeavors. Everything I do on acoustic requires thought and preparation - there's nothing I can do on an acoustic that just flows through me, or at least very very rarely.

In terms of what I leave out and what I case, I have two electrics and a carbon fiber acoustic always out. I have one wooden acoustic that lives in it's case when it's really dry, but the case is easily accessible and I still take it out and play it a lot. My electrics have both had fret-sprout and been filed back and now when they shrink a bit in the winter, it causes no problems. I've never had anything more serious than fret sprout affect my electrics. So all four are always available and get played - it's never too dry to PLAY the wooden acoustic, but sometimes it's too dry to leave it out.

-Ray
Old 10-30-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I’m a metal head at heart, so I’ll always be primarily an electric guitar player. I wish I still had the gear, all I do now is play through my iPad and headphones.
So am I. Exciting to play some Iron Maiden or Metallica and rip a solo.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:42 PM

I started on electric in 1986

Got my first acoustic, a sweet all hog Washburn in 1990

I played over 400 shows with a band between 1996 and 2000 all electric
In 2000 I went all acoustic for 14 years.

2014, I had an opportunity to join a band on electric guitar so I pulled a couple out and dusted them off. Sold my old Boogie and bought a Fender Bassman

I've been 99.6% all electric since

In fact I prefer to grab my electric for any type of playing whether I'm unplugged on my couch, at the beach on my back porch etc..

I prefer the sound and feel of electrics way more, even when they're unplugged.

I'm a all around guitar player first but an electric one second, then maybe nylon then steel string acoustic--maybe
Old 11-01-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
I started on electric in 1986

Got my first acoustic, a sweet all hog Washburn in 1990

I played over 400 shows with a band between 1996 and 2000 all electric
In 2000 I went all acoustic for 14 years.

2014, I had an opportunity to join a band on electric guitar so I pulled a couple out and dusted them off. Sold my old Boogie and bought a Fender Bassman

I've been 99.6% all electric since

In fact I prefer to grab my electric for any type of playing whether I'm unplugged on my couch, at the beach on my back porch etc..

I prefer the sound and feel of electrics way more, even when they're unplugged.

I'm a all around guitar player first but an electric one second, then maybe nylon then steel string acoustic--maybe
Impressive - that kind of ubiquitous presence of the electric guitar puts you in the company of consummate musicians like J Hendrix. Interesting how you rate the steel string acoustic guitar today - it would seem electric carries a more neutral application of sound and portability. For my part, as a youth born in 1966, the first guitar I held and strummed was a Sears derivative Fender electric type instrument with no amp in sight.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Default Different kind of energy

I suffered from GAS for years and now I have just caught a dose of ELECTRIC.
Picked up my first Telecaster today. I had virtually settled on the Player series but came across the Classic Vibe today in a little guitar store in the city. It was second hand but mint and already set up to play beautifully and it meant not going over my original budget. Fits like a glove sings like a dove oh that do make it nice!!
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal
Old 11-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny64 View Post
I suffered from GAS for years and now I have just caught a dose of ELECTRIC.
Picked up my first Telecaster today. I had virtually settled on the Player series but came across the Classic Vibe today in a little guitar store in the city. It was second hand but mint and already set up to play beautifully and it meant not going over my original budget. Fits like a glove sings like a dove oh that do make it nice!!
Congrats on the Classic Vibe ‘50s Telecaster - of course there is two versions - the butterscotch finish with vintage lower wind alnico a5 pickups and then the vintage blonde with higher output a3 pups - I have an example of the latter, but would probably prefer the a5 version for low volume tube output - it’s a guitar model I’ve missed out on, by comparison its easy to pass up on a strat for my purposes.

As with any electric guitar model, there is variability - the first vintage blonde I had, had a hump in the fretboard starting at the 14th fret and up, also sustain would hit a wall and drop off quickly - the example I have now is a neigh perfect one. When they’re good, they’re excellent.

Glad you found a Tele you like - enjoy!
Old 11-02-2019, 11:28 AM

Thanks Jaden i will try to post a few pictures for the guys on my Tele thread. Been having some great fun with it. A different beast to acoustic but so versatile.
D45 Replica in open D
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster
Marshall AS50D Amp.
Line 6 Amplifi 30
Blackstar HT1R Tube Amp
DigiTech JamMan Stereo Looper Pedal

Last edited by Bunny64; 11-02-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-02-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Why electric?
Because they're just awesome!
Play on...

Downright sexy that is...

Love that blue
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
Why electric?
Because they're just awesome!
Play on...

What is that exact blue? What does PRS call it?
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
What is that exact blue? What does PRS call it?
Faded Whale Blue Smokeburst
Thanks for your kind comments!

https://reverb.com/item/10144831-pau...show_sold=true

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars