The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-03-2019, 02:26 AM
Charter Member

Default X30 - Bass Balance...

Quick question for you who are familiar with X30.

I recently had a good conversation with a guitar enthusiast who have owned many dozens of high end acoustics including the X30. This fine gentleman likes his bass in guitars and thus tend to favor larger body guitars. However, with his X30, he sold it because he felt that the bass simply overpowers the mids and trebles - far beyond most other instruments he has.

Do you X30 owners or previous owners find that to be true also - and you simply love that big bass and volume?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2019, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

I own an X20 & X30 and yes there is more bass on tap in the X30 but I in no way feel it overpowers the treble tones out of the guitar. To me it has a balanced sound/output but is just a bigger sound overall. Kinda like playing an OM sized guitar then picking up a powerful Dread sized guitar. So I guess more bass would be there but I feel it's still a balanced sound/output for the size of the guitar.

Just my take on it. It's a wonderful guitar as is the X20 just different flavors.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-03-2019, 06:40 AM
Charter Member

I have never played an X30, but do own an X20.....so take this for what it's worth. I found that with that sound port in your face, a lot of things can be over powering, it takes some getting use to and more than any other guitar I've played, small changes in technique can make big changes in what you are hearing.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Quick question for you who are familiar with X30.

I recently had a good conversation with a guitar enthusiast who have owned many dozens of high end acoustics including the X30. This fine gentleman likes his bass in guitars and thus tend to favor larger body guitars. However, with his X30, he sold it because he felt that the bass simply overpowers the mids and trebles - far beyond most other instruments he has.

Do you X30 owners or previous owners find that to be true also - and you simply love that big bass and volume?

Thanks
No I have not experienced this with the X30. This question has been asked before though. My X30 was nicely balanced. My X20 however used to exhibit this especially the low e but I got it all worked out after much tinkering. I too have owned and played many guitars over the years and I can say that the X30 is an amazing instrument.

Carbon fiber as a material is supposed to be consistent. It seems that there might be some inconsistency in the building of these guitars.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Carbon fiber as a material is supposed to be consistent. It seems that there might be some inconsistency in the building of these guitars.
Not the build, but perhaps in the set-up? My X30 initially came set up way too low -- buzzed everywhere no matter how lightly I played -- and had a very boomy low E string. When I shimmed up the saddle to fix the string height, the strings became much more balanced. The low E is still strong and powerful, but sounds fine and is good in context. I maybe also have adjusted my technique without realizing it.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Not the build, but perhaps in the set-up? My X30 initially came set up way too low -- buzzed everywhere no matter how lightly I played -- and had a very boomy low E string. When I shimmed up the saddle to fix the string height, the strings became much more balanced. The low E is still strong and powerful, but sounds fine and is good in context. I maybe also have adjusted my technique without realizing it.
The setup is a huge factor for sure. My X30 came with an awesome setup and no flaws. My X20 came with high action and lots of other issues. The reason I suggested something in the build relates to my experience with the X20. I was brave enough to do some light sanding on the bottom side of the soundboard which ended up clearing up the low end mud that I was experiencing and gave the guitar more sustain. Weird...I dunno but that made me think that maybe my soundboard ended up being a little thicker than others. Hard to say for sure just making some guesses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber