The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-06-2023, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yeah! What he said! (And you said it so well, Steve.)

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-08-2023, 06:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

I want to thank Tom and Kathy once again for inviting me to the fourth B.I.G. show and welcoming me into their beautiful home. Many have posted what makes this show special so I won't reiterate that here. It was great to see some friends from the past and make new ones. Thanks again Tom and Kathy
Old 09-08-2023, 04:15 PM

Several days later, and I'm still buzzing and inspired by the weekend!

I'll echo the gratitude to Tom and Kathy that's been expressed, and also the heartfelt missive by Steve S, (such a great and soulful guy, and whose guitars are amazing!).

The artists who played (all absolutely fantastic) have re-set my practice resolve (yes, it's a choice I'm making to be inspired and not completely disheartened!) and the guitars displayed have changed my outlook- I'm ordering and going to wait for the 'pearl of great price' guitar that I connected with most at the show, and let go of my restless hunt for deals, steals and variety that I realized during the weekend was robbing me of time, and also likely some of the joy of just making music with the tools at hand. Let me stress that there wasn't a guitar at the show I wouldn't be absolutely thrilled to own, but needs must...

Thanks to my pal Jim Hunt for the intro and impulse to make the trip! And to all the luthiers who brought guitars, a thousand thanks for the hours and hours of solitude you spend that result in such beauty!! Really an honor to be with you all!
Old 09-09-2023, 09:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

Sorry to be slow with comments on the show but now rested from trip and getting back to things

I first need to thank Kathy and Tom for all the work putting it all together and the invitation to attend. The experience was awesome, my trip to Texas and back home went real well.

The people at the show were very welcoming and enjoyable to hang out with. I was happy to hear my guitars played by everyone. The Friday concert was the 1st time I heard Tony play his Tellier SJ in a full concert and was excited and proud to hear it in his hands.
It was nice to meet Micah and end up with the commission for the baritone he has started a thread on, I will post progress photos there once we get rolling on the build.

This was one of the coolest shows I have attended and if invited back I will certainly return.

Thanks again fort a wonderful experience
Fred

http://www.fetellierguitars.com
Old 09-09-2023, 10:46 AM

Just a quick note of thanks to Tom and Kathy for all their hard work and hospitality. Putting on an event like BIG is a tremendous undertaking and so much goes on behind the scenes that not many are aware of. Kudos to them for being willing to take this on.

I really enjoyed meeting lots of luthiers and attendees and touching base with a few old friends. The entertainment was spectacular - Tony, Christie, Toad and Frog - all were great. A special shout out to Ryan Middlebrook, Steve Kinnaird, Paul Woolson, and John Ostoff. We’ve all been doing guitar shows for 20 plus years, and although Steve, Ryan, and I have met on many occasions, this was the first time that John, Paul, and I had ever formally met. It just shows that the BIG format encourages more interaction of both luthiers and other attendees. A much more friendly atmosphere.

Thanks to all who took the time to stop and chat and play my guitars, I hope everyone had a great time.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Caldwell View Post
Just a quick note of thanks to Tom and Kathy for all their hard work and hospitality. Putting on an event like BIG is a tremendous undertaking and so much goes on behind the scenes that not many are aware of. Kudos to them for being willing to take this on.

I really enjoyed meeting lots of luthiers and attendees and touching base with a few old friends. The entertainment was spectacular - Tony, Christie, Toad and Frog - all were great. A special shout out to Ryan Middlebrook, Steve Kinnaird, Paul Woolson, and John Ostoff. We’ve all been doing guitar shows for 20 plus years, and although Steve, Ryan, and I have met on many occasions, this was the first time that John, Paul, and I had ever formally met. It just shows that the BIG format encourages more interaction of both luthiers and other attendees. A much more friendly atmosphere.

Thanks to all who took the time to stop and chat and play my guitars, I hope everyone had a great time.
Actually Jimmy we met at a show before, probably Healdsburg. No worries about not remembering me as we meet so many people at these shows. So, good to meet you again.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:24 AM

https://www.facebook.com/samjoakes/p...55yU1mpr9xFD8l

Some pics. I also have some vids on my page that are set to "public" and can be shared.

Side note: what's the best way to take pics of a dark and highly polished guitar without too much reflection?
Old 09-11-2023, 08:38 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Nice photos Sam!
Old 09-11-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Nice photos Sam!
Thanks. Bummer you couldn't make it. Hope to see you next year!
Old 09-11-2023, 11:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default BIG 2023

Musings on BIG 2023 -

1.No-one should ever stay away from BIG because they are afraid they will be uncomfortable not knowing anyone there. Everyone there is very, very friendly (that includes attendees, luthiers, and performers), in a good mood, and eager to make new friends. This event is in Texas, where you are automatically treated as a friend until you give someone a reason to treat you differently.

2.We are thankful that Tom loves guitars, and so is willing to go to this gargantuan effort and expense. We are even more thankful that Kathy loves Tom enough to go along on this crazy ride called BIG every year!

3. I shall just repeat what I wrote before the show in response to Tom's comments about some folks doubting that BIG was even a guitar show.

Tom, I have been to guitar shows all over North America and Europe. While the format of BIG is unique, it is that originality along with Texas friendliness and hospitality that makes BIG among the best events that Lame Horse Instruments has ever attended. Once again, this year we look forward to having time to really get to know the attendees, explain every feature of every instrument, have our instruments demonstrated by some of the the best players in the world, and listen to world class concerts every night. Maybe some people don't recognize BIG as a regular guitar show, because it is not. It is something different, and much better. Whatever one wants to call it, we are thankful for it, and the great experience that it is!
Old 09-12-2023, 02:59 PM

I wanted some time to settle and let everyone give their reviews of B.I.G. IV that wanted to before expressing my own.

First, thank you so much to all that came (largest attendance to date) and to all the luthiers and performers who made the effort to build guitars and perform for us! I thought the level of guitars this year, although always amazing, were even better than before. We had a group of luthiers making their B.I.G. debuts and they did not disappoint. They were all great humans as well and fit in effortlessly.

The concerts were equally great. Tony McManus did an hour and a half on Friday and played and sang better than I have ever heard him. He is getting better with maturity LOL. He also hung out all weekend playing playing and playing. He had a Bach theme going this year and was fantastic whether it was one in the morning with Ben, Christie and I or during the day with the crowds.

Frog and Toad were out of this world playing the best set I have heard them play. The two of those guys play with one mind always on and always great. I would describe their stuff as pop music driven by strong melody and percussion (not delivered by beating the guitar, but by a strong bass line). One plays fingerstyle and the other flat picks and it works fantastically. Ben had just gotten some new mics and they worked great on his Nautilus guitars.

Christie Lenee was very exciting, energetic and talented. She brought a whole different style and used her electronics perfectly. Though she used some looping and other effects, echo and reverb for example, they were all done tastefully and added to the song and did not distract from it. She played some percussion and tambourine with her feet also. She was a pleasure to have play.

At one point, I just was overwhelmed with the talent and was just thinking how lucky I was to have them in my house. But, to be honest, I worked hard to bring this all together also, so not all luck.

Now, for whatever reason, as good as this show went, it was the most stressful to date. At best I had 2 hours of sleep each night if lucky. I have struggled to figure out why and I have some reasons, but that is not important for this post. Kathy and I had a sit down, heart to heart, after the show to really talk about this show and if there were to be a next as to how to keep the quality but cut down the stress. We talked about hiring a couple of people to help out with cleaning and setting up each night, maybe catering out more of the food as Kathy spends a lot of time working on food before and during the show, and maybe changing up the show hours a bit to give us more time to prepare things along with a few other ideas. We are happy with the changes we discussed so B.I.G. V is on the table, not a done deal, but on the table.

So Thank You all so much for coming, for helping, for having fun, for buying guitars, for eating, for laughing, and just for being great people. We have so many friends from all over the country and world (Hello Lonzo) now from B.I.G.s that it makes it all worthwhile. Hearing from so many luthiers who attend many different shows say this is the best they have ever attended as well as attendees who say they will never go to another show now just makes me so proud of what we have started.
Thank you all. For those of you who have never come, what the heck is wrong with you and for those who have, Kathy and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

A special shout out to Nemoman and Mrs. Nemoman and Nootis for now making it to all 4 B.I.G.s. Next year it is free for you both!!!

Finally, we made a nice donation to Guitars4vets from the raffle money that was raised for the Paul Woolson guitar won by Ron. Paul is one of those people who are just too nice and obviously generous beyond measure. This raffle and his guitar added a whole extra level of excitement to the show and we can't thank him enough. You all need to check out a Soundcraft guitar if you have not done so!

If you have read this far, I thank you and hopefully you can come to B.I.G. V whenever that might be.
Old 09-12-2023, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I wanted some time to settle and let everyone give their reviews of B.I.G. IV that wanted to before expressing my own.

First, thank you so much to all that came (largest attendance to date) and to all the luthiers and performers who made the effort to build guitars and perform for us! I thought the level of guitars this year, although always amazing, were even better than before. We had a group of luthiers making their B.I.G. debuts and they did not disappoint. They were all great humans as well and fit in effortlessly.

The concerts were equally great. Tony McManus did an hour and a half on Friday and played and sang better than I have ever heard him. He is getting better with maturity LOL. He also hung out all weekend playing playing and playing. He had a Bach theme going this year and was fantastic whether it was one in the morning with Ben, Christie and I or during the day with the crowds.

Frog and Toad were out of this world playing the best set I have heard them play. The two of those guys play with one mind always on and always great. I would describe their stuff as pop music driven by strong melody and percussion (not delivered by beating the guitar, but by a strong bass line). One plays fingerstyle and the other flat picks and it works fantastically. Ben had just gotten some new mics and they worked great on his Nautilus guitars.

Christie Lenee was very exciting, energetic and talented. She brought a whole different style and used her electronics perfectly. Though she used some looping and other effects, echo and reverb for example, they were all done tastefully and added to the song and did not distract from it. She played some percussion and tambourine with her feet also. She was a pleasure to have play.

At one point, I just was overwhelmed with the talent and was just thinking how lucky I was to have them in my house. But, to be honest, I worked hard to bring this all together also, so not all luck.

Now, for whatever reason, as good as this show went, it was the most stressful to date. At best I had 2 hours of sleep each night if lucky. I have struggled to figure out why and I have some reasons, but that is not important for this post. Kathy and I had a sit down, heart to heart, after the show to really talk about this show and if there were to be a next as to how to keep the quality but cut down the stress. We talked about hiring a couple of people to help out with cleaning and setting up each night, maybe catering out more of the food as Kathy spends a lot of time working on food before and during the show, and maybe changing up the show hours a bit to give us more time to prepare things along with a few other ideas. We are happy with the changes we discussed so B.I.G. V is on the table, not a done deal, but on the table.

So Thank You all so much for coming, for helping, for having fun, for buying guitars, for eating, for laughing, and just for being great people. We have so many friends from all over the country and world (Hello Lonzo) now from B.I.G.s that it makes it all worthwhile. Hearing from so many luthiers who attend many different shows say this is the best they have ever attended as well as attendees who say they will never go to another show now just makes me so proud of what we have started.
Thank you all. For those of you who have never come, what the heck is wrong with you and for those who have, Kathy and I thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

A special shout out to Nemoman and Mrs. Nemoman and Nootis for now making it to all 4 B.I.G.s. Next year it is free for you both!!!

Finally, we made a nice donation to Guitars4vets from the raffle money that was raised for the Paul Woolson guitar won by Ron. Paul is one of those people who are just too nice and obviously generous beyond measure. This raffle and his guitar added a whole extra level of excitement to the show and we can't thank him enough. You all need to check out a Soundcraft guitar if you have not done so!

If you have read this far, I thank you and hopefully you can come to B.I.G. V whenever that might be.
Sorry to quote your entire message but there isn't anything I can see to cut. You and Kathy put together truly special, that is meaningful to many people and where your hearts and incredible generosity shine through. I don't want you to take this as pressure to host another B.I.G. but I want you to know that whether you do or don't, you did create an annual event that is truly special to me. From the performers to the luthiers to the attendees and friends I've made, I've never experienced anything like this and I'm no spring chicken. These words aren't enough, but I'll say them anyway: thank you both for all of this.

Al
Old 09-12-2023, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

For the modest cost of the event it's not possible anywhere else to get that level of entertainment, never mind the guitars, it's a screaming deal. If hiring some help makes it so you can enjoy it more yourself I'm all in for a bump in fee.
Yamamoto Jumbo 27 - Bashkin Placencia FanFret Cedar/EIR - Leo Posch DS12 Adj/Hormigo - Ovation Legion shallow body - - Taylor 562 GC 12 String - C. Freeborn Alto- Froggy Bottom H12C Adj/EIR- Ryan Nightengale Engelmann/Af. Blackwood - Kostal MD
Old 09-12-2023, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Smile Get the help!

You folks have worked your fannies off for four years now!

I say, get all the help you need, and lighten your loads…

Maybe charge a bit more or even two bits, haha.

Those in the know will find a way to come if they can

Congratulations on providing a SPECIAL event for all!!!

Be well and have FUN

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-13-2023, 07:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

I should pile on as well, and say plenteous thanks to Tom, Kathy and crew.
What a weekend!
B.I.G. IV was different from past events in some ways: a few stalwarts were noticeably absent—and that changes the dynamic a bit. This year, we had a wood vendor selling some fabulous guitar wood—thank you John!—and that’s always fun for guys like me.
But all the elements that make B.I.G., well…big, were present in full force.
It is obvious how much THOUGHT has gone into this weekend. Thank you for all the behind-the-scenes work you and Kathy have done, trying to make this event enjoyable and profitable!
And how can we thank you adequately for the galactic-level entertainment? It feels more like a 3-day house concert than a guitar show, at times.
I remember kicking this idea (for a Texas show) around in our shop a few years ago in one of your visits. It seemed like a Herculean task at the time. But you did it, you Hercules you! And we’re the better for it.
I second racerbob’s suggestion, if a bump in cost might ensure the longevity of this show, it would still be a bargain.
Many thanks, T & K!!!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop