The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-19-2019, 09:43 AM

Default Hats off to Breezy Ridge/John Pearse Strings

Most of the time we will often see wingeing abut unsatisfactory experiences with some company or another's customer service. When possible, I like to report the exact opposite.

The builder of my incoming Baritone Weissenborn, Mark at Rayco, strung the beast up yesterday and sent me a couple of sound clips and a report. (Deep. Very deep, it was.) He reported that when tuned in Open A (151351) the low .068 string was pretty floppy, but when up a step to Open B it is fine. I should have expected that from my own experiences on a baritone guitar. However, I think that I would rather be tuned to Open A than B, as B is a bit of an unwieldy key.

Now baritone strings are not exactly a dime a dozen, even on the internet. I also wanted Phosphor Bronze over 80/20. I finally found .070 Phosphor Bronze singles listed on the Breezy Ridge website, but no dealer who had them

So finally I called...

What a friendly and helpful woman answered the phone. After explaining what I was looking for, and why, we had a long discussion about what strings might work and why. She was obviously very knowledgeable about her strings, and I was obviously not the first person with weird needs to have contacted her. We not only discussed the low string, but what other custom set I might want to ultimately put together. The website listed the .068, .070, .076 and .080, but she also told me that she had a .072 PB that was not on the site. That also interested me, as it might allow me to tune both to Open A but to Open G, both more useful keys.

Unfortunately they probably won't be here before Wintergrass this weekend, but I will live.

Anyway, a tip of the fedora to Breezy Ridge: customer service done right.

TW
Old 02-19-2019, 09:53 AM

I really like JP strings!! Had Phospor Bronze strings on my Bourgeois and they were really good. Switched them out with JP Pure Nickel Mediums and they're
GREAT!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 02-19-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Yes, Breezy Ridge has great customer service. I remember contacting them back in 2005 and actually spoke to John directly. They know their stuff and their strings sets are one of the brands I use regularly along with GHS and Newtones. Glad you had a great experience with them and I look forward to a report on the baritone once you get the strings.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I have had wonderful customer service dealing with Breezy Ridge. I’ve used and have enjoyed using JP strings for many years.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:48 PM

I've been a fan of their strings for a good long while. This was the first time that I has actually spoken with them directly. Given how esoteric the issue was, I was impressed with their knowledge and readiness to help.

Makes me pleased to have been a customer for these many years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion