The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-26-2019, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Nice to hear about flatwound strings on your tele - that wound g makes all the difference for some.
Never use anything else on any of my electrics, and an almost-forgotten pros' hack dating back to the '50s bebop/rockabilly era is that the action can be set lower (for speed/playability) while simultaneously using a heavier gauge (for "bigger" tone); try it on your "classic" (Strat/Tele, LP/ES/SG, Gretsch/Guild hollowbody, etc.) - you'll need a first-class pro setup to get the most out of it (far too many guitars - especially at the low end - rely on ultra-light strings to compensate for poor QC, especially in terms of fretwork/neck geometry) - and you'll probably never go back to 9's/10's...
Old 01-26-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Never use anything else on any of my electrics, and an almost-forgotten pros' hack dating back to the '50s bebop/rockabilly era is that the action can be set lower (for speed/playability) while simultaneously using a heavier gauge (for "bigger" tone); try it on your "classic" (Strat/Tele, LP/ES/SG, Gretsch/Guild hollowbody, etc.) - you'll need a first-class pro setup to get the most out of it (far too many guitars - especially at the low end - rely on ultra-light strings to compensate for poor QC, especially in terms of fretwork/neck geometry) - and you'll probably never go back to 9's/10's...
Very good to learn this here. I have medium flatwounds ready for my Fender Tele but have my Squier loaded with extra light flatwounds which I don’t think existed back in the day. Slightly more expensive and the wound g is incredibly fine. X light is probably a big sacrifice in tone, though; had to try them out anyway. I will *never* go back to plain g.
Old 01-26-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
...I have medium flatwounds ready for my Fender Tele but have my Squier loaded with extra light flatwounds which I don’t think existed back in the day...
IME 12's are a good fit for Fenders - that's what would have come as factory issue back in Leo's day, and even with a good setup I think you'll find mediums (I'm thinking 13's here) too heavy for all-around use (save them for your jazzbox); since Squier QC has gotten somewhat iffy since their '80s made-in-Japan heyday, extra-light flats (10-47 or 10-48) are the way to go IMO...
Old 01-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Learning a lot here. Listening to youtube I'm wondering if I took the squier strat/tele too lightly and if they would be fine for my needs. Perhaps with the funds for the MIM strat $400, I could buy a squier strat and tele. Could anyone tell me if there is much difference between the squier affinity and bullet? If I move up to the classic vibe, I figure I might as well go with the MIM strat for $400. Not sure which way to go yet. The MIM strat or squier strat and tele.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Is there a difference between the classic vibe strat/tele and the standard? Is it just cosmetics or is there and upgrade on the parts?
From two Squier Classic Vibe Strats I’ve owned, there is a loss in note clarity when the volume is turned up (note loses definition and becomes fuzzy) due to light weight zinc alloy tremolo block. Also the electronics are not full size (dime sized pots) unlike like the full size CV Tele, the latter which only requires upgrading the input jack.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by numb fingertips View Post
Learning a lot here. Listening to youtube I'm wondering if I took the squier strat/tele too lightly and if they would be fine for my needs. Perhaps with the funds for the MIM strat $400, I could buy a squier strat and tele. Could anyone tell me if there is much difference between the squier affinity and bullet? If I move up to the classic vibe, I figure I might as well go with the MIM strat for $400. Not sure which way to go yet. The MIM strat or squier strat and tele.
I think there's a pretty big difference between the Bullet/Affinity level and the Classic Vibe. I'd put the Classic Vibe right there with Fender's MIM guitars selling for around twice as much. There's less choice/variety and the skinny necks are a matter of taste, but the quality and sound to me are really really good. To me, they don't play or sound like really good guitars for the money - they play and sound like really good guitars, period.

The Bullet and Affinity level guitars are really good for the money, but they're a real step below the Classic Vibe IMHO. I bought a Bullet tele a while back for about $180 and I was astounded how good it was for so little money. So I was impressed with it for what it was, but I never really bonded with it. Then I passed it on and picked up a used Classic Vibe BSB (very similar to the vintage blond, but the pickups use different magnets) for just a little bit more money, and that just felt and sounded like a really nice guitar, price point aside.

I might consider getting two Classic Vibe's for $700-800 rather than one MIM for similar money. But I'd rather have one Classic Vibe than two Affinity / Bullet level guitars. I should note though that I've only played these lower level Squier Telecaster models - never Strats. I've heard similar things about the strats, but don't have any personal experience to lean on...
Old 01-26-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I think there's a pretty big difference between the Bullet/Affinity level and the Classic Vibe. I'd put the Classic Vibe right there with Fender's MIM guitars selling for around twice as much. There's less choice/variety and the skinny necks are a matter of taste, but the quality and sound to me are really really good. To me, they don't play or sound like really good guitars for the money - they play and sound like really good guitars, period.

The Bullet and Affinity level guitars are really good for the money, but they're a real step below the Classic Vibe IMHO. I bought a Bullet tele a while back for about $180 and I was astounded how good it was for so little money. So I was impressed with it for what it was, but I never really bonded with it. Then I passed it on and picked up a used Classic Vibe BSB (very similar to the vintage blond, but the pickups use different magnets) for just a little bit more money, and that just felt and sounded like a really nice guitar, price point aside.

I might consider getting two Classic Vibe's for $700-800 rather than one MIM for similar money. But I'd rather have one Classic Vibe than two Affinity / Bullet level guitars. I should note though that I've only played these lower level Squier Telecaster models - never Strats. I've heard similar things about the strats, but don't have any personal experience to lean on...

The classic vibe seems really nice but there is a MIM strat that is on sale I can pick up for $400 plus tax, so it made more sense to me to go for the MIM vs the classic vibe. I was also considering instead of the MIM going with affinity strat and tele.
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/...4aAmrWEALw_wcB
Old 01-27-2019, 02:04 PM

As someone who just recently moved to electric from acoustic, I advise you go to a a store and try several in different body styles. You won't know what is comfortable to you until you actually have your hands on the fretboard. I have a Gibson SG, a Fender MIM Telecaster and a Teton and they all play VERY differently. The SG has a shorter scale length than the Tele, but the way the neck ties into the body makes it feel like the neck is 6" longer and far away from me when playing. When I play my various dreadnought acoustics, for example, they all feel a little different but nothing like the variation between the electrics.

I am adapting to each, but believe that a comfortable guitar is best for learning a new style.

I've heard the Classic Vibe Squier has better pickups than the other Squire models. Friends have told me the Squires may need some work like filing the edges of the frets to make them more comfortable, but that they are an excellent bang for the buck. My brother-in-law recently picked up a Squire Strat and loves it. My cheap Chinese-made Teton guitar is easily as nice as the MIM Tele. They were about the same price since I got the Tele used but the Teton is about half of the new price of the MIM Telecaster. If I had to do it again, I would have either gotten a new Telecaster, or if used would have purchased one I could see in person and try first. It has needed some work; it was cheaper than comparable ones due to having a big ding in the side, but I think it may have been caused by a pretty hard drop as it has various minor issues that add up to a real pain and could have been caused by a substantial impact.

Last edited by hbg; 01-27-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbg View Post
As someone who just recently moved to electric from acoustic, I advise you go to a a store and try several in different body styles. You won't know what is comfortable to you until you actually have your hands on the fretboard. I have a Gibson SG, a Fender MIM Telecaster and a Teton and they all play VERY differently. The SG has a shorter scale length than the Tele, but the way the neck ties into the body makes it feel like the neck is 6" longer and far away from me when playing. When I play my various dreadnought acoustics, for example, they all feel a little different but nothing like the variation between the electrics.

I am adapting to each, but I believe that a comfortable guitar is best for learning a new style.
Thank you. Good to know. I play a variety of acoustics and I'm ok going back and forth on different nut width and neck carve so I thought it would be the same with electric. I guess I should make a stop at guitar center.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:02 PM

Love my 72 re-issue thinline Tele (made in Mexico) .. it can handle anything I throw at it with great tones ... these can be had used for a reasonable price if you look around ....

mine looks just like this one :

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6

Last edited by gimme789; 01-29-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:39 PM

BTDT. G&L Tribute Series ASAT Classic. I've seen them in stores for 700 bucks, but I've also seen them on Stupid Deal Of The Day on Musicians Friend for half that.

I have the ASAT Bluesboy Thin-line with the single coil bridge and humbucker neck picup in trans orange. Great guitar for the money.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:04 PM

I'm an acoustic guitar guy,but I recently bought a fender bullet Tele in sea foam
Green,nice guitar!great buy at 179.00
Guitar center,check one out,I'll bet the average person can't tel if the tone I'd from an American made or not
Dave
Old 01-31-2019, 07:21 PM

For me, the perfect not-too-expensive electric guitar would be a HSH strat like this one:
https://reverb.com/item/18484041-fen...le-fingerboard
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 PM

Instead of buying new, I decided to go the used route. I found a fender squier affinity strat that was unused and pretty much mint fender modern player tele for less than what I would have spent on a new guitar. I'm pretty happy with how things worked out but I wonder if perhaps I should have left pandora's box closed. Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm still looking at some of the other recommendations.

Last edited by numb fingertips; 01-31-2019 at 10:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars