The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Default 20-Year Quest for the Best Low-Volume Amp

Old 01-20-2019, 07:46 PM

I watched them both. Very nice explanation of the why's/wherefores. Your list of past amps terrifies me - "ghost of xmas future" stuff. I have the Pathfinder 15R and like it, have a Mustang II w/celestion speaker for more effects, but I'll keep an eye out for one of those fenders.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:49 PM

How about that Monoprice 15w tube amp I see on Amazon for about 229 dollars. What say you??
Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I watched them both. Very nice explanation of the why's/wherefores. Your list of past amps terrifies me - "ghost of xmas future" stuff. I have the Pathfinder 15R and like it, have a Mustang II w/celestion speaker for more effects, but I'll keep an eye out for one of those fenders.
If you have a Mustang you don't need a Champion, unless you want less tweaking and more traditional cosmetics, which is why I went that way. I also wanted to use the 20 as a head.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
How about that Monoprice 15w tube amp I see on Amazon for about 229 dollars. What say you??
They're available for less - sometimes far less - directly from Monoprice. It's my understanding that they're made by the same people who make the low-end Laney tube amps (this one's a Cub 12R in a plain-vanilla - literally - generic wrapper) so if you're a fan of that sound - and you like the idea of value-added Ruby Tubes and Celestion Seventy-80 speaker upgrades being included in the under-$200 price of admission, one of these might not be a bad way to go; FYI they also make great mod platforms - over on TDPRI there's a whole cult dedicated to these amps - and if you're a tweaker at heart you couldn't scratch-build a comparable amp for what they're charging. They're also very light at ~25 pounds (my Bugera V22 weighs about twice that) - more akin to a 30-40W solid-state/modeling amp - and for that reason alone I've been considering one as a light-duty/backup amp for the small-/medium-sized venues our band plays...
Old 01-21-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodster View Post
If you have a Mustang you don't need a Champion, unless you want less tweaking and more traditional cosmetics, which is why I went that way. I also wanted to use the 20 as a head.
Oh, we're talking "need"? Never mind I like the mustang, and it sounds great with an upgraded speaker, but I get tired of tweaking sounds with a mouse, and with having unlimited tweaking potential - I spend more time "playing" than playing. I like the idea of a finite world on the front panel, so that's the attraction, for me.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the report Steve DeRosa. I dont play out ( friends sometimes) so it looks like something that would work for me. I will check out TDPRI ( never heard of it) and take a look. Also look for the Monoprice site direct.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:17 PM

I agree with the OP that the small Fender SS amps are great with a speaker upgrade. I've got a 99 Champion 110 with a 10" WGS Veteran and a MOD 3 spring reverb upgrade. I tend to run it with the reverb just cracked all the time.

I can't pack around my tube amp anymore without a hand truck so the little Fender gets used when I go visiting. A big clean sound from a small box that turns down well.

ok I've posted this line before - My Fender guitars sound really good through this little Fender SS amp - Who would have thought?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:59 PM

Default 20-Year Quest for the Best Low-Volume Amp

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
They're available for less - sometimes far less - directly from Monoprice. It's my understanding that they're made by the same people who make the low-end Laney tube amps (this one's a Cub 12R in a plain-vanilla - literally - generic wrapper) so if you're a fan of that sound - and you like the idea of value-added Ruby Tubes and Celestion Seventy-80 speaker upgrades being included in the under-$200 price of admission, one of these might not be a bad way to go; FYI they also make great mod platforms - over on TDPRI there's a whole cult dedicated to these amps - and if you're a tweaker at heart you couldn't scratch-build a comparable amp for what they're charging. They're also very light at ~25 pounds (my Bugera V22 weighs about twice that) - more akin to a 30-40W solid-state/modeling amp - and for that reason alone I've been considering one as a light-duty/backup amp for the small-/medium-sized venues our band plays...

I just got one of these and I absolutely love it! They are only $199 though and if you do a search a discount code, you can get it for even less. The latest version has an upgraded reverb tank that was the main complaint with the earlier version, so beware of buying it used. This amp also has a 1 Watt mode for home use. In spite of it’s low price, I would say it is comparable to amps in the $500 range.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

There is also a simpler 5 Watt all tube model that is also quite popular on the forums and might be more in line with the request in the original post. That one goes for around $100 minus whatever discount code you can find with a search.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611705
Old 01-27-2019, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the heads up lkingston on the Monoprice amp. Do you know how recent the upgrades were as I see Amazon has these with the opportunity to get further discounts if inquired on? I like Amazon because of free shipping and good return service if needed. I dont want to buy old stock and dont know what to look for or ask about for the upgraded model. Thanks
Old 01-27-2019, 11:33 PM

I don't understand "low volume amp". All mine have a knob labeled "Volume" already.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 01-28-2019, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I don't understand "low volume amp". All mine have a knob labeled "Volume" already.
What I believe they are referring to is an amp that can reach its full potential without breaking the windows and annoying the neighbors. I too am on this quest. I use a Roland Micro Cube which is, although small, an excellent amp with great tone. I mostly use it with headphones and a backing track to practice. Not so much that I have anyone to annoy, just that it sounds so good that way. I see ads like Craigs list full of large amps all the time. While they are great if you are playing out in a large area and full band, at home you can barely go past "2" without blasting yourself out of the room. I am on the fence on the Monoprice 15w tube amp as the price is very good and it has a 12" speaker which may give me more low end than the Micro Cube certainly can or the Fender Champion 20 can. Still looking.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up lkingston on the Monoprice amp. Do you know how recent the upgrades were as I see Amazon has these with the opportunity to get further discounts if inquired on? I like Amazon because of free shipping and good return service if needed. I dont want to buy old stock and dont know what to look for or ask about for the upgraded model. Thanks
The upgraded reverb tank was introduced at the same time as the front-mounted control panel (in mid/late 2017 TMK - FYI earlier versions had top-mounted controls like their Laney counterparts), so as long as yours is a front-panel you're OK...
Old 01-28-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The upgraded reverb tank was introduced at the same time as the front-mounted control panel (in mid/late 2017 TMK - FYI earlier versions had top-mounted controls like their Laney counterparts), so as long as yours is a front-panel you're OK...
Thanks.Have you had any experience with the Fender Champion 20? I'm not looking for volume, just good tone with more low end than my MicroCube can deliver. Its an 8" speaker vs. the 12 on the Monoprice. Sometime size does not matter in speakers as my Bose sound system can attest to with awesome room filling sound from very small stereo speakers.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks.Have you had any experience with the Fender Champion 20? I'm not looking for volume, just good tone with more low end than my MicroCube can deliver. Its an 8" speaker vs. the 12 on the Monoprice. Sometime size does not matter in speakers as my Bose sound system can attest to with awesome room filling sound from very small stereo speakers.

Actually, in an open backed guitar amp, size does matter as there is no porting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars