The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-19-2019, 08:16 AM

Default Crack along the binding

Hi guys,

First post here. I just acquired a used guitar in a trade. Brought it home and, as I was running my fingers along the sides, I felt a little crack in the lower treble bout. It's precisely where the rosewood meets the binding. In this case, it appears as though the wood has come apart from the binding, as I can feel the edge of the wood. I can't tell if this is a crack, or just a binding separation. I'm unable to bring it to my repair guy until he's back from vacation in a few weeks, so I thought I would ask here. What would you guys do? Is this a serious issue? An easy fix? Or just a cosmetic glitch that I shouldn't worry about...

Thanks to all

http://s951.photobucket.com/user/eri...?sort=3&page=1
Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumansound View Post
...Or just a cosmetic glitch that I shouldn't worry about... ...
Is it a $10 guitar or a $10,000 guitar?

Kinda depends on what the guitar is. If it was a campfire beater guitar I wouldn't worry about it. If it was a museum showpiece I would be worried.

Probably just shrinkage and separation between wood and binding - is it stable or does the binding wiggle around a little?

What kinda of guitar, how old, what kind of wood, finish, binding?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Kinda depends on what the guitar is. If it was a campfire beater guitar I wouldn't worry about it. If it was a museum showpiece I would be worried.

Probably just shrinkage and separation between wood and binding - is it stable or does the binding wiggle around a little?

Sorry for the lack of info. This is a Santa Cruz OM from 2012. Indian rosewood back and sides. Not sure of the finish/binding. So, not exactly a $10 guitar.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

Sorry for the lack of info. This is a Santa Cruz OM from 2012. Indian rosewood back and sides. Not sure of the finish/binding. So, not exactly a $10 guitar. And it doesn't wiggle. No movement.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 AM

I have a Martin OM with exactly the same problem - a problem that's been there for several years now.

Like you, I need to fix it before I inadvertently make it worse. It's a fussy little job and not hard to do but I'd take it to someone if you doubt your own skills to repair it without making a mess.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair