The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 PM

Default 3 on Plate Tuning Machine Question

Hi - a tuning machine failed on my slot head Cort L1200P guitar. I purchased new Schaller 3 on plate tuning machines. I noticed the string posts don't quite make it through the slot head to sit in the middle hole.

I tried using the old peg from the failed tuner, but it doesn't sit right in the Schaller machine. Otherwise the Schaller fits just fine - all other holes line up perfectly.

Is it ok to have the top end of the string post just sort of floating, and not insert into the middle part of the slot headstock?
Old 03-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Bump - looking for machines where the posts fit into the center of the slot head. almost looks like Cort used classical guitar spacing for steel string guitars.

Again the Schallers fit perfectly except the posts didn't reach the center. I measured from the outside of the headstock to the where the post would enter the center to be 1.125inches (which probably means I need a slightly longer post) - the longest steel string post I'm able to find is 1.10. Classical posts go to 1.18 - which would work length wise. But the dowels are wider and made of plastic - not really interested in trying that if I can help it.

I contacted stew mac, they couldn't help - so any help would be appreciated.

Jon
Old 03-27-2019, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Maybe these?

https://www.lmii.com/gotoh-slot-head...d-buttons.html
Old 03-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Thank you, they look nice - didn't see post length, I'll call them and ask. Seems like I need 29 or 30mm, which I can only find on real cheap tuners. I appreciate the info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair