The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-25-2018, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Why few electric builds by acoustic builders?

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I was half-joking with Steve Sheriff, saying I now need a matching Sinker Redwood/Macassar electric guitar to match the beautiful acoustic he’s building for me. The more I think about it, it would be really special to have an electric guitar with the same woods, inlays, etc., assuming those woods (or veneer over “better” electric guitar wood) to match the acoustic.

And it got me wondering why more of our amazing sponsor luthiers don’t build electrics as well. I know Tim McKnight has built at least one, Laurent Brondel builds them on occasion.

Steve said he wasn’t sure if he could wire one up and have it sound good (but I might still be able to convince him to try when I recover some funds). Is it a very different skill set? Is it that electrics don’t inspire the same creativity? I believe they take less time to build (unless you’re Ben Wilborn ) but there are already a lot of custom electric builders with prices all over the map, so could it be that market is saturated?

I am always inspired by the talent you builders share with us, and there is no implied criticism in my question. Just curious as to why more of you choose to build only acoustics.

Thanks so much!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-25-2018, 08:36 PM

Mike, you should check out Kevin Pederson. He builds fabulous acoustic and electric guitars. He pops in here from time to time and is an artist, craftsman, and gentleman of extreme character. He did some collaborative work, handling some extraordinary inlay, with one of my Edwinson builds. You can find Kevin here http://pedersoncustomguitars.com/ and I'm sure a search here will turn up some of his posts. His inlay work is in my signature link for the Spirit guitar.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 09-25-2018, 08:46 PM

A few do. But if they are considered "acoustic builders" you wouldn't expect them to be "electric builders" Or I wouldn't.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:57 PM

Everybody and his brother are building 'custom' guitars. why not focus on something that sets you apart from the herd?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

I started with electrics, and shifted toward acoustics over a ten year period. I suppose I made about 40 solid bodies. For me, the joy is making truly responsive "living" guitar creatures, and while electrics are great tools and have their challenges, they are technical dead things compared to my main work. Do not misunderstand me, I like them and play them, I just don't really want to spend my time making them. Laurent Brondel seems to enjoy making them lately, and his Strat like guitars are really nice.
Old 09-25-2018, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Mike, you should check out Kevin Pederson. He builds fabulous acoustic and electric guitars. He pops in here from time to time and is an artist, craftsman, and gentleman of extreme character. He did some collaborative work, handling some extraordinary inlay, with one of my Edwinson builds. You can find Kevin here http://pedersoncustomguitars.com/ and I'm sure a search here will turn up some of his posts. His inlay work is in my signature link for the Spirit guitar.
Yes, I’m aware of Kevin and he does stellar work, especially his inlays. His tiger inlays are amazing. I didn’t mention him because I don’t believe he is a sponsor, though his work is fantastic. Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
A few do. But if they are considered "acoustic builders" you wouldn't expect them to be "electric builders" Or I wouldn't.
I don’t expect them to be, just curious as to why they might have made the choice to only be, should they care to share. I absolutely appreciate their considerable skills and artistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarfrat View Post
Everybody and his brother are building 'custom' guitars. why not focus on something that sets you apart from the herd?
I assume this might be a major reason. It would be fun to see how some of our resident acoustic artisans could do something different and special with electric guitars, though.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I started with electrics, and shifted toward acoustics over a ten year period. I suppose I made about 40 solid bodies. For me, the joy is making truly responsive "living" guitar creatures, and while electrics are great tools and have their challenges, they are technical dead things compared to my main work. Do not misunderstand me, I like them and play them, I just don't really want to spend my time making them. Laurent Brondel seems to enjoy making them lately, and his Strat like guitars are really nice.
Thanks Bruce. I also considered this. While I love to play electric guitar in a band setting, acoustic music with vocals is my preference, and I know what you mean about the guitars feeling more “alive”. In addition to Larent’s Strat model, I understand his Honeycaster is a terrific Tele-style guita, though I haven’t had the chance to play either. Thanks for commenting. I bet your solid body guitar was excellent!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-25-2018, 09:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

We build electrics occasionally (in fact we have an Oregon Myrtle topped tele going now), but the main reason is because while sometimes we complain that every one seems to be putting out a new luthier shingle, there are many MANY electric builders out there. I’m not saying that it doesn’t take skill to make a good solid body, but the tooling and training are definitely much simpler than acoustics. Also, we’re streamlined to do acoustics in our shop; a good electric shop is streamlined for that, and they can turn them out cheaper and faster.

Custom electric buyers are kind of a different bird as well. They are usually into modifications that deal with hardware more than woods and personalized inlay. Coaxing tone out of wood is not their game. It’s easy to hot rod cheap bodies. Our electric calls are usually from the guys that know that we’re the wood guys and they want something special that’s natural. They’re just few and far between. However, a paired set from a luthier is a great idea, and I hope you follow through.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 09-25-2018, 10:26 PM

Some of us do them for fun. But not commercially. For me - the electrics I make don't really fit in with the "look" of my regular work, so I just make one every few years. I'd rather make one than buy one.

I had a spare couple of days just before I left Germany, so made this one from all the bits I had in a box. Better to have a guitar than a box of bits:

A few years prior, whilst sharing a workshop with a great repair feller who also made very good "relic" guitars I made another. It got named "The Odd Ball Junior." This was the first electric I made.

I used to use Facebook for marketing back then, and I posted it on my page, and five minutes later a customer in Hong Kong made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I didn't get to play that one much.

But the one I liked best was stolen - this guitar is the love child of a Tele and a Bigsby. It sounded SUPERB with those Bare Knuckle P90s. Well, the thief had very good taste...

Nigel
Old 09-26-2018, 05:15 AM
Charter Member

Mike Baranik builds amazing acoustics (I declare a bias here, in that I have a couple) and recently he has started building electrics as well. They do not look like his acoustics, but they sure look awesome.

Col
Old 09-26-2018, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
We build electrics occasionally (in fact we have an Oregon Myrtle topped tele going now), but the main reason is because while sometimes we complain that every one seems to be putting out a new luthier shingle, there are many MANY electric builders out there. I’m not saying that it doesn’t take skill to make a good solid body, but the tooling and training are definitely much simpler than acoustics. Also, we’re streamlined to do acoustics in our shop; a good electric shop is streamlined for that, and they can turn them out cheaper and faster.

Custom electric buyers are kind of a different bird as well. They are usually into modifications that deal with hardware more than woods and personalized inlay. Coaxing tone out of wood is not their game. It’s easy to hot rod cheap bodies. Our electric calls are usually from the guys that know that we’re the wood guys and they want something special that’s natural. They’re just few and far between. However, a paired set from a luthier is a great idea, and I hope you follow through.
Great points, Ryan, thank you! True, there are many electric buyers looking to do some creative stuff with switching and pickup combinations. It would be tough to go that deep without it being your primary product. Admittedly I used to be like that, hoping I came up with the secret combination of switches, pickups and Piezos that would allow me to have the "Swiss Army Knife" of guitars. Lately, I play much simpler electrics, though I still appreciate top-tier craftsmanship.

Regarding having Steve build an electric to match the new acoustic...we'll see! It has to be worthwhile for Steve to invest the time and effort, yet not be priced beyond what I can afford. Isn't that always the balance?

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-26-2018, 06:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

You pose a good question Mike and I hope my response doesn't offend anyone but since you asked here goes ... For me it comes down to one word personal "inspiration" or more appropriately the lack thereof. Its really difficult for me to build something that doesn't inspire us and there's simply no joy in building something that is more uninspiring than fun. I've built a couple electric guitars but that is the end of that road. Same goes for nylon string classical guitars. I [personally] don't like the sound of them and for that reason I choose not to build those either. I have been down that path too but it was as short as the electric road.

There are plenty of other builders who specialize in electrics or classical guitars and we have certainly lost some sales by referring potential customers to other builders but that is the right thing to do, for us.

I've built more ukes than electric and classical guitars combined but still see a few more McKukes in our future. Even though they are nylon strung I do find them more sonically appealing to my ear.

The greatest joy comes from building acoustic guitars that are light, lively and responsive. Its a challenge which I enjoy and one that allows creativity, but always poses unique challenges to find and coax out the maximum potential from each wood set we use. No two guitars we build are ever alike visually or tonally and that too is satisfying.

The final icing on the cake is to sit in the audience and listen intently to the tool which we created make beautiful music at the hand of a satisfied customer. There is no better experience on earth than hearing the voice of the woods, which passed through our hands, finally sing to their maximum potential. Life is short and its getting even shorter so we choose to build what brings us the most enjoyment, challenge and satisfaction in the end ... steel string guitars.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordie1 View Post
Some of us do them for fun. But not commercially. For me - the electrics I make don't really fit in with the "look" of my regular work, so I just make one every few years. I'd rather make one than buy one.

I had a spare couple of days just before I left Germany, so made this one from all the bits I had in a box. Better to have a guitar than a box of bits:

A few years prior, whilst sharing a workshop with a great repair feller who also made very good "relic" guitars I made another. It got named "The Odd Ball Junior." This was the first electric I made.

I used to use Facebook for marketing back then, and I posted it on my page, and five minutes later a customer in Hong Kong made me an offer I couldn't refuse, so I didn't get to play that one much.

But the one I liked best was stolen - this guitar is the love child of a Tele and a Bigsby. It sounded SUPERB with those Bare Knuckle P90s. Well, the thief had very good taste...

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, those are some pretty cool looking guitars! Good point about electrics not fitting in with your other work. Very cool that you have the ability to make them if you want to.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-26-2018, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Mike Baranik builds amazing acoustics (I declare a bias here, in that I have a couple) and recently he has started building electrics as well. They do not look like his acoustics, but they sure look awesome.

Col
I didn't know that Mike started building electrics. Definitely an awesome looking instrument! If he's at Woodstock this year, I may need to ask him about them. Thanks very much!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 09-26-2018, 06:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
You pose a good question Mike and I hope my response doesn't offend anyone but since you asked here goes ... For me it comes down to one word personal "inspiration" or more appropriately the lack thereof. Its really difficult for me to build something that doesn't inspire us and there's simply no joy in building something that is more uninspiring than fun. I've built a couple electric guitars but that is the end of that road. Same goes for nylon string classical guitars. I [personally] don't like the sound of them and for that reason I choose not to build those either. I have been down that path too but it was as short as the electric road.

There are plenty of other builders who specialize in electrics or classical guitars and we have certainly lost some sales by referring potential customers to other builders but that is the right thing to do, for us.

I've built more ukes than electric and classical guitars combined but still see a few more McKukes in our future. Even though they are nylon strung I do find them more sonically appealing to my ear.

The greatest joy comes from building acoustic guitars that are light, lively and responsive. Its a challenge which I enjoy and one that allows creativity, but always poses unique challenges to find and coax out the maximum potential from each wood set we use. No two guitars we build are ever alike visually or tonally and that too is satisfying.

The final icing on the cake is to sit in the audience and listen intently to the tool which we created make beautiful music at the hand of a satisfied customer. There is no better experience on earth than hearing the voice of the woods, which passed through our hands, finally sing to their maximum potential. Life is short and its getting even shorter so we choose to build what brings us the most enjoyment, challenge and satisfaction in the end ... steel string guitars.

Tim, thanks for replying. This makes tremendous sense; if you don't enjoy the process, the product or the total end result, then why do it? Of course you put it more poetically. One aspect I never considered is your continued enjoyment afterward, hearing your product in the hands of someone creating beautiful music with it, not just initially but perhaps down the road a bit. I only thought as far as the build and delivery (along with the happy smiles), maybe the first picked notes or strums. But thinking about this now, it must be very nice to get to hear your guitars at future points , sitting in front of the player. It must be really nice to be able to say "I made that."

As I write this and think about what would inspire me, if I had the skills to build guitars, it would probably be electric guitars, but I would want to build using pretty and interesting woods, as much art as guitar, with graceful ergonomic touches that make it easy to play and hold (one of the reasons I am drawn to arm and rib bevels on acoustics). Of course I can say that from the comfort of having a day job. Anyway, thanks very much for your insight and response!

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop