The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-10-2019, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASir_ View Post
Thanks, I'll check them out. I'll probably end up getting a Zoom though. Shoreline carries the H2n and H4n and I've got a $50 coupon reward.

You can add mics to a Zoom right? So they record together? Is there a benefit to this?
Start with the Zoom and stop there for now. Learn how to use it for recording yourself for review purposes. Later on, if you want to start sharing your cover of other's songs or your own creations, the Zoom will be fine for that too.

Using external mics can give you a much richer sound than the Zoom's mics, but there are more issues to deal with to get there.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 AM

Quote:

You can add mics to a Zoom right?
H2n no .. H4n Pro yes.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you so much guys! I have already been recording with my iPhone 7 but the sound just doesn't fit my expectations. I'll take a look at the Zoom recorders.
Some things to consider are what you have for expectations for improvement and also what you want for portability.

Either the Zoom (especially the H4n Pro, H5, or H6) with internal mics, Zoom with external mics, or an audio interface with external mics will be an improvement over the iPhone. External mics will most likely be an improvement over the Zoom internal mics (i.e. depending on what you buy) and will also offer more flexibility in micing placement/techniques.

The Zoom will likely be more portable than a laptop with audio interface setup, but you'll have to decide if that matters to you. An audio interface may have better preamps/converters than the Zoom, again depending on your choice of audio interface.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 AM

Whenever the subject of recording comes up there's always a raft of suggestions and possibilities. The OP's last line... "What's the simplest/cost-effective method?".

A small handheld would still be my recommendation since the phone recording wasn't acceptable.

The DR-05 is both simple and easy, and it DOES do simple overdub recording if that's desired.

An added benefit is that it can easily be used as a personal music player by transferring mp3 folders to its memory. I use mine all the time by plugging it into a small battery operated external stereo speaker.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I won't be the only one to suggest this but the easiest way to get a darned good recording is to buy a Zoom H4 (or better). You can then import the recordings into your computer (Garageband, Audacity (free), Reaper ($60))for editing if you want. Once you have a recorder, you'll need to read up on mic placement and room acoustics.

If you go down the separate mic/mic preamp/interface/converters road, it'll cost you a lot more money and you'll be needing to spend a lot of time learning how it all works.
As a technological bonehead, who’s been through a number of recording set-ups over many years, mostly pretty simple ones, and never mastered any of them (my fault, I’m lazy), I will second this — in fact I was just going to post the same idea: get a Zoom R8. I have had one for about a year and got up and running on itsbasic functions within an hour or so. But recently have gone further into its capabilities and it’s amazing how easy and what great results you can get with one of these. It even has two amazingly good condenser stereo mics built into it. I just got into the drum-machi e aspects of it too and it’s all amazingly — there’s that word again — easy. SKIP THE MANUAL AND GO TO YOUTUBE. You’ll learn a lot more a lot faster., if you’re like me.

I would only say to skip all the computer stuff mentioned above and just master it yourself, right on the Zoom. It’s that good. You save the mastered file (it’s all REALLY easy, even by the manual) to the SD card and load it into your computer to share with people, post online, whatever. Incredible stuff.

They’re also amazingly affordable, have a great reputation, and it’s a stand-alone set-up — with a guitar, cable and headphones, you’re good to go. Seriously, please do check these out at least on YouTube — you’ll be glad you did. Whatever route you go, best of luck. Keep plowing forth!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-14-2019, 03:37 AM

Unless you are going to record on the road, don't get a Zoom or Tascam recorder.

If you are simply home recording using Garage Band and a laptop, your easiest option is a good USB mic. Like the Rode NT1USB or A Blue USB mic. This will get you started and teach you how to multitrack with Garageband, which is fun and really brings you to the next level of guitar playing.

That's my 2cts, play and enjoy!
Hofner Club 50 (currently for sale)
Jose Rodriguez estudente classical

Formerly owned:
K. Yairi NY0021
Guild D25-NT
Epiphone PR5E
Heritage H-127
Godin SG Summit
Ibanez TTR30 Talman Nylon
Epiphone Telecaster copy
Hofner 175 (II)
Eko 'SG' short scale bass
Old 02-15-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Mine is about as simple as you can get. A Blue Yeti plugged into my laptop and using Audacity. I do not record very often and will be spending some time this year getting to know the process better. Lots of good information here on this topic for sure.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD