The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-01-2019, 06:30 PM

Default Snark Tuner Issue

When I hit the Low E string my Snark tuner shows an E and then immediately goes to D.

Then when I hit the A string it shows its flat and then after a few moments it shows it in the yellow as if its sharp.

What am I doing wrong here? Its not working like I thought it would. I thought it seemed pretty simple but apparently its not.

r/Mike
Old 02-01-2019, 07:57 PM

Getting an even note to tune by is a bit of an acquired skill. You want to strike the string with just enough force to sound the note. If you strike it hard it will show sharp at the time the note starts ringing, and of course eventually the note vibration will get so soft that the tuner can't sense it. Try to minimize the "pitch-sharp spike" from hitting the string too hard.

Some ultra-responsive tuners (Peterson strobe tuners for example) are so sensitive to string strike that they are harder to use until you acquire this skill. In my experience, the Snark tuners are not as "jumpy" or responsive, and so are easier for beginners to use.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 PM

Rufus - get away from that wheelbarrow. You don't know nothin' about machinery!
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 02-02-2019, 12:11 AM

What FrankHudson said.

You may want to try plucking the string firmly, but quickly and close to the bridge.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:16 AM

Mute all strings except the one you're tuning.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 02-02-2019, 07:44 AM

I only tune my electric guitars with a tuning pedal due to the inability of clip on tuners to get it right unless there's dead silence in the room. I can tune while a 2nd guitar is playing, bass is playing, drummer is playing and keyboard is playing.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:01 AM

Does it happen only on your electric guitar and other guitars are fine? If so, try a different location on the headstock.

Not sure if a low battery would give that symptom?
Old 02-03-2019, 06:37 AM

I have one guitar that has a knack for snookering Snarks - my Firebird. Try playing the 12th fret harmonic (barely touch the string at the 12th fret when plucking) and see if it'll give a true reading then.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 02-03-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I only tune my electric guitars with a tuning pedal due to the inability of clip on tuners to get it right unless there's dead silence in the room. I can tune while a 2nd guitar is playing, bass is playing, drummer is playing and keyboard is playing.
Most clip on tuners sense only vibration and are immune to ambient sounds. There are several tuner brands including Snark that provide you with a choice of using a small built in mic or the vibration sensor.

If you're using a Snark you have to know which model you have and if that particular model has a mic or not. I'm surprised by how many users are not aware of that.

All tuners that rely on vibration may experience odd response dependant upon where they are clipped on. Usually it's a simple matter of shifting the tuner location just a bit to eliminate that problem. If you return the tuner to that location then it usually works with no problem.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Lots of good advice here. In summary:

- Make sure the battery is good.
- Make sure that the mic is off if it is on, so it is only picking up the vibration and not any other noise around you.
- Mute the other strings so it is only trying to track the one you are tuning.
- Always tune up to pitch. Go past and go sharp? Drop flat and come back up.

Hope this helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars