The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-29-2018, 11:14 AM

Cool It's All In Your Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'll agree with HR that bare finger players have an advantage when playing MIDI guitar (as they do when playing slide) as right hand finger muting can be a big help.

However, flat-pickers like myself can cope too. I have to mute with the left hand and with my right hand palm, even when I'm not driving a MIDI pickup. I will use a scrunchy or designed guitar mute near the nut when playing passages without open notes. I also favor coated Elixir electric strings to reduce finger noise.

For a sloppy player like myself, using a MIDI pickup is a teaching device as well as compositional tool.

Totally agree there are flat pick player that rip on midi guitar , a good example is Pat Metheny
he's a hybrid type and also can be seen using a pick too . :

Point I tried to make you gotta play clean - guys into heavy distortion tones have the most problems
from what I have seen since I began in the late 1990's .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 12-29-2018, 11:18 AM

Thumbs up Midi Guitar Reference Forum

By far this forum is one of the best about midi guitar and other high tech guitar stuff :

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 AM

I've been fascinated with the idea ever since Joni Mitchell used a MIDI-fied Parker Fly on tour so she didn't have to have techs hand her a different guitar every other song. I didn't like the visuals of it and the Godin didn't look enough like an acoustic guitar nor was the neck wide enough. I had one built that for now will run through a Roland VG8. I expect to be able to change tunings, capo settings and instrument types (dobro, high strung, capo settings etc) at the tap of a pedal. It should make for a more even flowing set and a lot more versatility. Here it is not wired yet. GraphTech Ghost Hexpander/Piezo system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MIDIMac front.jpg (16.1 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 18986544_1413884375315869_181388658_o.jpg (44.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 19074828_1415027351868238_1412419925_o (2).jpg (37.8 KB, 9 views)

McAlister 00 cutaway Italian spruce/walnut
Telecaster ala Danny Gatton/Steve Morse
2 Yamaha BBG5 identical twins
Carvin LB75A fretless

Last edited by dreamsinger; 01-21-2019 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Add pics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars