The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-13-2019, 06:51 PM

Default Mad Hatter Solderless Tone Shaping Kits

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to make people aware of these "Mad Hatter Solderless Tone Shaping Kits". For folks who want to upgrade the components in their electric guitar, want to change out to a push/pull configuration, etc. he has it all. I just received my 3rd kit yesterday (never installed yet). So far I have these installed in a les paul guitar and a semi hollow guitar both with push/pull configuration. The 3rd kit I just received is going in a HSH style guitar. These are high quality kits and are very easy to install. I actually enjoy the soldering part but I realize not everyone knows how to solder so the fact that these kits are solderless should appeal to a wider group of people. I'll throw a link to the website for those interested but if anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

https://madhatterguitarproducts.com/...inator-systems
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM

Since this thread was so popular I think I'll keep it rolling with a Steve Vai link:

http://makeweirdmusic.com/gear/evo
Old 01-15-2019, 08:38 PM

I actually subscribed to this thread in order to follow the discussion. I have no idea what happens inside an electric guitar, and no experience of soldering, so there's nothing I can contribute, but I'm hoping to learn something here.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 PM

Thanks for subscribing. My 2nd post was pure sarcasm. But since you mentioned it, you don't have to solder anything at all with one of these kits. I understand if people have a brand new higher end guitar that they probably wouldn't be interested in this kind of thing, but for people with older guitars or newer cheap guitars like an epiphone for example, these kits would be awesome. I actually used one of these kits in a new high end guitar as I wanted coil splitting capability.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:50 AM

I replaced the pickups and control pots and switch on my Tele with the 'Kwikplug' solderless components from https://www.guitarfetish.com/
Real easy to do, I highly recommend it if you are a sloppy solderer like me!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-16-2019, 01:15 PM

I'm currently working on the HSH guitar. I'm going to completely shield all the electronics with copper shield tape, using the tape to join each cavity instead of soldering a wire, coupled with one of the Mad Hatter kits for a completely solder free install. Using Seymour Duncan JB neck, classic stack plus in the middle, and the jazz in the neck. So far I have the shielding completed and hope to finish the rest today or tomorrow. I'll post some before and after pics when complete.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Finally got to finish off the guitar. I completely shielded the pickup cavities and control cavities and to keep the theme of the solderless kit I used small pieces of tape to join each cavity instead of soldering wires. I now have a near silent guitar that sounds amazing! Here are some pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars