The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-07-2013, 09:56 PM

Default [Original] New song I've been working on: Piecemeal

Hello again everyone,

I been working on this song the last few weeks and it's finally at a place where I feel like sharing it. I'm not entirely sure if I'm satisfied with the ending just yet, but it works for now. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

www.soundcloud.com/howardcf/piecemeal
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 AM

That's quite the intricate piece. I've always marveled at songwriting like that where the song takes on many faces. Like songs by Yes or Rush or Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

It was hard to get past the sound of the guitar though. Your playing was fine, it's the guitar itself. What were you playing? It was like it was something that is better played amplified or it was a First Act guitar. This piece deserves to sound better than that.

As for the ending, it was ok, but with a song that changes so many times, what about coming full circle and returning to the beginning sound?

One more critique, in the middle of the song where you speed up the tempo. At first I thought you were getting out of time, but then I realized you were changing the tempo. I'm not sure what it was about it, but I keep thinking that maybe it happened too fast. Or maybe it was just the particular sequence where you decided to speed it up. I'm not knocking the idea of the tempo change, it just seemed awkward at first.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
That's quite the intricate piece. I've always marveled at songwriting like that where the song takes on many faces. Like songs by Yes or Rush or Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody.

It was hard to get past the sound of the guitar though. Your playing was fine, it's the guitar itself. What were you playing? It was like it was something that is better played amplified or it was a First Act guitar. This piece deserves to sound better than that.

As for the ending, it was ok, but with a song that changes so many times, what about coming full circle and returning to the beginning sound?

One more critique, in the middle of the song where you speed up the tempo. At first I thought you were getting out of time, but then I realized you were changing the tempo. I'm not sure what it was about it, but I keep thinking that maybe it happened too fast. Or maybe it was just the particular sequence where you decided to speed it up. I'm not knocking the idea of the tempo change, it just seemed awkward at first.

I definitely agree about the tempo change. I haven't really been sure how to handle that little transition. I may just jump right into it instead of accelerating to it; because you're right it is rather awkward sounding.

Ah yes, my guitar is a 7 year old Applause AE48. Has buzzing frets and all that horribleness. But I love it, it's helped me write nearly all my songs. I'd like a new guitar, but don't have the money for it right now. As for the recording quality it's just straight onto my iPhone via the soundcloud app. So I don't have any fancy equipment.

I've felt apprehensive about the ending as well. Feels like some more can be added to it. I'll see if I can find a way to make it transition back to the beginning in some fashion.

Thanks for the critique.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminilife View Post
Ah yes, my guitar is a 7 year old Applause AE48. Has buzzing frets and all that horribleness. But I love it, it's helped me write nearly all my songs. I'd like a new guitar, but don't have the money for it right now. As for the recording quality it's just straight onto my iPhone via the soundcloud app. So I don't have any fancy equipment.
I can understand your attachment to it for songwriting, though. No reason to part with it when it helps you create good music.

Maybe look in to some of the interfaces that are available for the iphone. You could plug directly in and get a nicer sound, at least for recording. There are some low-cost options out there.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 AM

Caleb...the tune has potential...I particularly liked the "funky" groove at the 2.40 mark!!!
Yes the recording might have been a little weak as stated above, but music is in the heart and soul of the musician. Kudos Amigo!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell