The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Kyser Capo or No
I use them 19 16.24%
I use them and others 34 29.06%
I have used one but not now 49 41.88%
I would never use one 16 13.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Back in the 60's - 70's, a Hamilton was all I used. It was all I could find.

Then I moved to the Kyser as did most everyone.

But since I discovered Paige a few years ago, there is no going back.
'15 Taylor 914c
'99 Gibson Firebird V
'19 Martin 00-28
'14 Martin OM-42
'54 Martin 00-18
'53 Martin 000-18
'50 Martin 000-28
'67 Gibson J-45
'95 Martin HD-28
'78 Yamaha FG-512
'18 Gibson 1959 Les Paul
'19 Fender CS '64 Tele Custom
'14 Fender 1954 Strat
'03 PRS Hollowbody I
'99 Fender Paisley Tele
'76 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Old 09-02-2019, 10:11 AM

I have a vast array of capos including 3 models of the G7th brand. I tend to move the capo around allot. For me nothing works better than the Kyser. Their new low" tension" kapo is just about perfect for what I do. I suppose if I wasn't moving it up and down the neck so often a yoke style would be best, but even then the intonation difference is minimal from my experence.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:33 AM

I voted "never used one" and was a bit confused on how I should answer. I tried one once or twice for a few seconds because I was in a store and momentarily borrowed the only one they had on hand. I wasn't happy with the installation or the sound when compared to other capos. So in a practical sense I've never used one. I certainly have not, nor would never spend money on one.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-02-2019, 11:44 AM

I have 3 of them and never had a problem with them. I had a different style capo years ago that actually caused damage to my guitar. After that I switched to kyser.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshax View Post
I had moved on from Kysers until they released their low-tension version. I have to say that I like the low-tension version better than most capos, and I tend to reach for them more often even than my Thalias.
That is good to hear! I posted a while back that I love my older Kyser (15 years?) the tension is just right and she is consistent and easy as pie. A while ago (6 years?) my brother was coming on from Texas so I thought I would pick up another one just in case. It was horrible. Like a vice grip. Way too stiff. Never got used. I suppose I could open up a specialty Gym in a local strip mall for forearm exercises and put it to use. Two minutes squeezing on each hand. $14.95. See you next week. It's on special.
Old 09-02-2019, 02:08 PM

Kysers used to be my standard capo until I bought my first electric a few years back.

The non-adjustable spring was so strong that it made the electrics' thinnest strings go sharp.
I gave it to a student, and now I use G7 and Shubb capos on both electrics and acoustics.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:59 AM

After finding out about adjusting a Kyser, its now become my go-to favorite capo.

And watching that Tony Emmanuel video about how to prevent it from running sharp, its even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0cEWwWnGQ
Old 05-18-2020, 11:15 AM

I am not a fan of Kyser capos because they caused damage to one of my guitars. Placing the capo on the headstock of the guitar when it wasn't in use caused a chemical reaction to the lacquer and darkened it so much you could no longer read the logo on the headstock.

I only placed the capo on the headstock when using the guitar, and took it off when storing the guitar.

I also didn't like the heavy spring tension which caused the guitar to go sharp when the capo was in use.

Last year, I learned that you can adjust the tension on a Kyser capo in two ways.

First, the pad that touches the back of the neck has 2 thicknesses.
It can be pulled off and turned around for a thicker or thinner side to contact the guitar.

Second, you can bend the capo for more or less tension but be careful as to not over do it.

All in all, I will just stay away from Kyser capos.
There are better products out there.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:03 PM

You can get other clamp capos for less, so why buy a Kyser?
I use Shubbs, but I have one cheap clamp capo for my nylon string hybrid that I rarely capo.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 05-18-2020, 03:37 PM

I missed this poll when it first came out. I used Kysers for several years, retuning as needed. I've noticed that most bluegrass pickers use the Paige style capo, and they capo a lot.

When I got my HD 28 recently I found the Kyser I used clamped too tight, making most strings sharp (strung with DR Rare 13's). I went to a shubb style D'addarrio clamp. Works much better, but not as easy on and off as the Kyser. So I ordered a Paige from Banjo Ben the other day.

My old Kyser's will go in a box with all the thin picks, old preamps, cheap cords and assorted stuff I don't need but frequently loan out to others.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:05 PM

I also watched the Tommy video about pushing down on all the strings and had an epiphany. I dug out the old Kysers I had lying around and decided that they were inexpensive and effective. I have accumulated a plethora of various capos so I enjoy swapping them out with the more expensive ones and not worrying about misplacing them.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

I definitely come down in the “Would never use one” again category.

The ONLY ding on the back of my ‘92 D-35 neck is the result of a Kyser capo. Due to the strong spring force, it slipped out of my hand one day while installing and dinged the neck. Last time I ever used one. (I was not aware of the How to Adjust a Kyser capo).

Now I stick to either screw-down capos (Planet Waves NS design) or Shubbs. I’m good...
Old 05-18-2020, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

I've never experienced a problem with Kyser Capos, as long as everything was in place as designed. The only time I have experienced problems is when my very large mastiff chewed the padding off the back piece where it clamps onto the back of the neck. I have used electrical tape (redneck engineering) to wrap around the metal where the missing pad once resided. It worked in a pinch.

I used Kyser almost exclusively for 20 years in some less than ideal locations. They are convenient for a working musician. I have no complaints. I've used the cheaper clamps as well and they were fine too, at least for a little while. These days I mostly use Shubbs. I like them the best for the money, but all things considered, I look at a capo like I look at strings. They will be changed and they are expendable. Not because they have to be, but because of my own personal habits, routines, etc...YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion