The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-05-2019, 08:05 AM

Just tried another shop demo 000-18 - action is 4/32 at bass and 3/32 at treble. So very high.

Saddle protruding 3.5/32 from bridge which seems fine.

New one on order.
Old 09-05-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween Man View Post
Just tried another shop demo 000-18 - action is 4/32 at bass and 3/32 at treble. So very high.

Saddle protruding 3.5/32 from bridge which seems fine.

New one on order.
Let's do the math. Assuming a pretty common, average string height of 3/32" at the bass and 2.5/32 at treble, one would need to remove (4/32-3/32) x 2 = 2/32" from the saddle on the bass side and (3/32-2.5/32) x 2 = 1/32" from the treble side of the saddle.

One started with 3.5/32 of saddle protruding from the bridge. Subtracting 2/32 on the bass side, to obtain the desired 3/32" string height, leaves 1.5/32" of protruding saddle. Subtracting 1/32 on the treble side, leaves 2.5/32" of protruding saddle. That's 1.5/32" and 2.5/32". To maintain an adequate break angle over the saddle, a minimum of 2/32" (1/16") of saddle should protrude from the top of the bridge. If the action is lowered to the "average" string height, it will not have an adequate amount of saddle protrusion on the bass side and barely above the minimum on the treble side. That's on a new guitar.

Unless the bridge is overly thick and can be shaved thinner, if one lowers the string height to a typical average height, one is immediately looking at either ramping the pin slots or having a neck reset. That is on a new instrument. Assuming that there isn't excessive neck relief, it is not "fine". If there is any change in the geometry of the instrument - and there usually is - one will very likely be looking at a neck reset within the first year.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:44 PM

After a long wait finally got new replacement 000-18 and everything is perfect. Most importantly, it sounds and plays wonderful.

Martin make the best acoustic guitars on the planet. Worth the wait and time searching for the right one. Good things come to those who wait.

I love the 000-18, wonderful tone and playability. The slightly smaller scale feels really nice on the fingers and the body size, very similar to classical guitar, feels just right for me.

In comparison the D-18 felt really tight, particularly on the D string, and almost too loud. Big bottom end and great for strumming though.

I prefer the 18 (mahogany) to the 28 (rosewood).

Everyone loves a happy ending.
Old 10-13-2019, 12:58 PM

Quote:

Martin make the best acoustic guitars on the planet. Worth the wait and time searching for the right one. Good things come to those who wait.
And the 000-18 is one of their best. Congrats.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
After a long wait finally got new replacement 000-18 and everything is perfect. Most importantly, it sounds and plays wonderful.

I love the 000-18, wonderful tone and playability. The slightly smaller scale feels really nice on the fingers and the body size, very similar to classical guitar, feels just right for me.

In comparison the D-18 felt really tight, particularly on the D string, and almost too loud. Big bottom end and great for strumming though.

I prefer the 18 (mahogany) to the 28 (rosewood).

Everyone loves a happy ending.
Glad this all worked out for you. I appreciated reading your comments/comparison of the 000 to the D; particularly the comfortable size of the Triple O; my example was reminiscent of a fine classical guitar in tone too (soft and rich to the ear).

Congratulations on finding the One!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion