The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-27-2019, 12:53 AM

Default Martin 000-18 Action

I've recently been fortunate enough to purchase a rather lovely new 2019 000-18. The action at the treble (top e string at 12th fret) seems a little high at 3/32.

I've read conflicting advice about the Martin factory action tolerances.

Anyone know what the action at the treble and bass should be on this guitar?

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:54 AM

Halloween Man, I don’t know what Martin’s factory specs for the height of the strings at the nut might be, but what I DO know is that I’ve always gotten my guitars dialed in with an action adjustment once they’ve had a couple of weeks or so to acclimate to my house. I am generally not a fan of Martin actions straight from the factory, in large part because Martin leaves them a little bit higher than I like.

If you bought the guitar from a local bricks and mortar store, you should be able to get the action dialed in to where you like it without them charging you for the work. If you bought it online from another retailer, you’ll need to pay your friendly local guitar repair tech to dial it in for you.

But it’s money well spent - once I’ve had the action adjusted at the nut, I’ve never needed to have that work done again.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-27-2019, 02:53 AM

Default Martin Factory Soecs

Dan Erlewine in his Guitar Player Repair Guide (2nd Ed 1994) listed the largest range of C F Martin factory specifications I’ve ever come across. Whether, 15 years later these are still current I have no idea. I have listed some below for interest.

Action
Low E: 3/32” min - 7/64” max
High E: 1/16” min - 5/64” max

Nut Action (measured at 1st fret
Low E: .024”. max
High E: .016” min

Saddle profusion
3/32” min - 3/16” max.

Neck relief
.010” max

Bridge pin height and string inset (distance to edge of fretboard) are also listed should anyone wish to know.

Irrespective of any measurements, Wade’s advice holds true. You have a fine instrument, once it has settled for a short while to your environment go and get it setup professionally.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALuth View Post
Dan Erlewine in his Guitar Player Repair Guide (2nd Ed 1994) listed the largest range of C F Martin factory specifications I’ve ever come across. Whether, 15 years later these are still current I have no idea. I have listed some below for interest.

Action
Low E: 3/32” min - 7/64” max
High E: 1/16” min - 5/64” max

Nut Action (measured at 1st fret
Low E: .024”. max
High E: .016” min

Saddle profusion
3/32” min - 3/16” max.

Neck relief
.010” max

Bridge pin height and string inset (distance to edge of fretboard) are also listed should anyone wish to know.

Irrespective of any measurements, Wade’s advice holds true. You have a fine instrument, once it has settled for a short while to your environment go and get it setup professionally.
Yup - I'd agree with the above ... .010" relief might be std. for Martins, I'd ten to go for a little straighter , maybe .005-6" but it depends on your style.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halloween Man View Post
I've recently been fortunate enough to purchase a rather lovely new 2019 000-18. The action at the treble (top e string at 12th fret) seems a little high at 3/32.

I've read conflicting advice about the Martin factory action tolerances.

Anyone know what the action at the treble and bass should be on this guitar?

Thanks.
The action, irrespective of how the factory sets it, should be set at whatever is comfortable for you. There is no 'should be'-after all Martin don't know what your preferences are, but they set the factory action somewhat high in order that it can be adjusted lower if need be. Ignore numbers; they won't tell you how the guitar feels to play.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:02 AM

Right. Martin has always claimed that it sets its actions for the mythical guitarists who prefer a mythical “medium action,” but the truth is that the strings at the nut get left a bit high simply because Martin sends its guitars to retailers all over the world, and once they leave the factory doors Martin has ZERO control over the climatic conditions where the guitars will be sold.

So by leaving the action a bit high Martin hopes to minimize any buzzing or rattling if the Martin dealer is in an arid region or simply doesn’t maintain the relative humidity at a proper level in the store’s showroom.

Anyway, my suggestion is that when you go to get the Martin dialed in that you take along another guitar that you find comfortable to play, if you have one, to show the repair tech where you’d like the action to be on the Martin.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-27-2019, 05:50 AM

When I bought my 000-15SM at the Music Emporium, after a week I decided that the action was just a little higher than I liked.

I brought it back to the shop, they put it up on the bench and made a few measurements, and then sanded down the bridge saddle a little. Voila, the guitar is perfect for me now.

Any reputable dealer should be able/willing to do likewise for you.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build
Old 08-27-2019, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I hope your neck angle is correct and you have plenty of saddle left. My 2017 000-18 has been a nightmare. It has already been back to the factory for a neck reset and now it looks like it needs another. I wish I had never bought this thing.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:46 AM

My 000-15m came just as you described your 000-18. I played it for a month and then took it for a setup so that the action would match my other guitars. That setup was transformative.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdoc View Post
I hope your neck angle is correct and you have plenty of saddle left. My 2017 000-18 has been a nightmare. It has already been back to the factory for a neck reset and now it looks like it needs another. I wish I had never bought this thing.
I had the same thing happen to a new 000-18 but donated it away before dealing with a neck reset - the top on it had prominent, deep cross checking which I believe compromised the strength of the soundbox.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:16 AM

Thanks everyone.

Seems like the highest factory tolerance is 2.5/32 on the treble which is just under 2mm?

On my new 000-18 it's more like 3/32 on the treble and 4/32 on the bass so obviously too high and something not quite right here.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:18 AM

Every player should have the action on their guitar(s) set where they want. Some/many wouldn't think that 3/32" is high. If you purchased your guitar from a store with a shop, a set up should be part of the purchase negotiation. If purchased from someone who doesn't have a shop, a visit to your tech./luthier is in order. Congrats on the new guitar.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Seems like the highest factory tolerance is 2.5/32 on the treble which is just under 2mm?

On my new 000-18 it's more like 3/32 on the treble and 4/32 on the bass so obviously too high and something not quite right here.
How much saddle is protruding out of the bridge? Do you know how to measure relief? How much relief is in the neck? How is the action at the nut end?
Old 08-31-2019, 01:26 AM

I think I have gotten to the bottom of why the action is above the Martin spec - there is only 2.5/32 saddle protruding out of the bridge at the top e string.

Neck relief and nut height is within spec.

It would be unwise to shave more off the saddle as it is already low. I suspect this is the reason why Martin left it with a higher action.

I've now rejected the guitar.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:

I've now rejected the guitar.

I assume that means you've returned it. Likely a wise choice.

Sounds like another new Martin with an incorrect neck angle.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion