The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2019, 08:12 PM

Question Looking for McPherson guitar advice - factory visit

I'm excited to be visiting the McPherson guitar factory soon here in lovely Wisconsin, and will be comparing the classic MG model with the more recent Camrielle model guitar. The MG is larger (16" lower bout), while the Camrielle hits a more comfortable size for me (15" LB). Website says the tonal difference is deep, boomy bass vs more focused mids, which makes complete sense of course. I mainly play fingerstyle, and am trying to gauge how much of a trade-off in fingerstyle tone I'd get to gain the Camrielle's better size (for me).

Any thoughts or advice from McPherson fans that have played or owned them? Thanks a million in advance!

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 08-19-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 11:49 PM

I haven’t owned any, but I’ve played about six or eight McPherson guitars in various wood combinations over the years.

I suspect that the smaller model might suit your playing style better, but that’s really the sort of thing that you’re going to have to explore, experiment with and decide for yourself.

Please come back and post about your trip and your McPherson guitar discovery journey once you’ve decided which model and tonewood combination works best for you.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-19-2019, 03:18 AM

I have MG size Cedar/Ebony and is large guitar but is as easy to play sitting as a D-18. They make great guitars and a factory visit would be a fun experience.
Old 08-19-2019, 12:40 PM

Thank you Wade and Ken - much appreciated!

Unfortunately business plans changed and my trip through Sparta won't coincide with McPherson's hours - so the factory tour and visit will have to await another opportunity. Sometimes life gets in the way of our guitar adventures. Will report back here when I can reschedule the trip, and appreciate any further thoughts on the Camrielle question.

I was reflecting that Wisconsin isn't as far off the guitar map as I assumed a few years ago. Between McPherson, Petros (in Kaukauna) and Madsen (in Neenah), we have some great guitar makers here … almost enough to make America's Dairyland a guitar destination!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
macpherson