The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-22-2019, 12:42 PM

Default Replacement Saddles - materials

I would like to have the saddle shortened on my sloped shoulder Martin. The action is a little higher than I like. I've had the truss rod adjust. Its not too bad. I had a Fishman Matrix pickup installed. Maybe that raised the action a hair.

The stock saddle is a Martin compensated bone saddle. Is there some other magic material out there I should try?

I could have the current saddle lowered. But I'm wondering if there is value in keeping the stock saddle in case the new saddle height isn't an improvement? (Guess I could just a new saddle if I don't like the new action.)

I'm kind of bouncing thoughts out here. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2019, 03:35 PM

Sure. Tusq made by Graphtech is a synthetic material that many players like. Taylor uses it in their guitars, and it's a material I've used on several instruments, particularly when I've found that a bone saddle makes a guitar sound harsh and more strident than I'd like. Tusq is also well thought of for guitars with undersaddle pickups because of the evenness of its transmission of the string vibrations.

Micarta is another viable option. For many years - decades - Martin used micarta saddles and nuts on virtually all of their guitars. I don't think that's the case any longer, but micarta appointments can still sound great.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair