The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2019, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Scott, Wasn't there an issue you had with the Full Anthem you tried? Did you ever get a chance to give it a solid test as a fully functional/properly operating PU? I don't recall exactly.

Nonetheless, I love reading about the success you're having with the Fishman Matrix Infinity VT PU. That is fantastic! You already had the Fishman Aura Pedal, so you're all set.

I can plug in directly with my Baggs (Full Anthem) equipped guitars and they sound tremendous. No need for external/outboard preamps.

That said, I don't typically go to open mics or plugin anywhere without using my pedalboard. (My board is well populated and a has EQ and a notch filter for feedback on the Baggs Align EQ, a BrightEye Clean Boost, Neunaber seraphim Shimmer reverb, Diamond Memory Lane delay, Tuner, Looper, etc. (you get the idea) The Baggs anthem sounds great either straight in or through the board)

I would imagine the Fishman Matrix Infinity VT would be just as good. Maybe better. Although I think I read it can be slightly more feedback prone than the Baggs. So I'm sticking with the Anthem. But I wouldn't hesitate to try the Fishman system you are using now.
Hi Gary, just to clarify, I own the Matrix VT which is just the undersaddle Matrix. I think you might be thinking of the matrix infinity blend when you state that that the Anthem is probably better with regards to feedback. The Matrix VT is very good with rejecting feedback.

I tried the Sl and the full anthem. The full anthem came with a lose piece of plastic in the control module but everything seemed to be in working order. I just wasn’t all that impressed with the build quality. For me, the tru mic portion always gave a somewhat hollow/mid range type tone that I could never dial out. I bet it would be a great pickup for other guitars though

What I have found that’s a bit annoying but necessary is that when I play live where there’s a sound man, they often cut the low end and bring up the highs. It makes a lot of pickups sound a bit thin and bright. I understand this is to cut through the mix but it’s one of the reasons why I want to get an amp to sit on stage so I can hear my own dialled in tone.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Hi Gary, just to clarify, I own the Matrix VT which is just the undersaddle Matrix. I think you might be thinking of the matrix infinity blend when you state that that the Anthem is probably better with regards to feedback. The Matrix VT is very good with rejecting feedback.

I tried the Sl and the full anthem. The full anthem came with a lose piece of plastic in the control module but everything seemed to be in working order. I just wasn’t all that impressed with the build quality. For me, the tru mic portion always gave a somewhat hollow/mid range type tone that I could never dial out. I bet it would be a great pickup for other guitars though

What I have found that’s a bit annoying but necessary is that when I play live where there’s a sound man, they often cut the low end and bring up the highs. It makes a lot of pickups sound a bit thin and bright. I understand this is to cut through the mix but it’s one of the reasons why I want to get an amp to sit on stage so I can hear my own dialled in tone.
I've said this before when people bag on Fishman pickups, the Matrix Infinity VT in my Martin HD28 sounds great, and there is no reason why I would want to replace it. And you know from my posts, that I love B-band pickups. But sometimes, certain pickups work with certain guitars. I also know what you are talking about when you say there is a hollow tone in the Anthem, as that's what I put into my Parkwood LE061 when the B-band was damaged a few months back. Although the Anthem I have is the "Stage Pro" model which has an onboard notch filter, phase switch, blend control, volume control, tuner (which absolutely sucks), and a bass and treble control. I find it the best of the Anthem systems, and it deals with the hollowness a bit better than the other Anthem systems, but I'm pretty sure not many people would be willing to cut a hole in the side of their guitar to get it mounted. That's probably why you don't hear about it much on this forum. I already had a hole cut for my B-band T65, so I just had to have that hole slightly enlarged to make it work. My two Parkwood LE061 guitars sound almost identical acoustically, and the other one has a B-Band system in it and totally prefer it over the Anthem! Soon as I switch to the Anthem model I hear the hollow thing, although I am getting used to it and I'm learning how to work with it.

As for the soundman thing, I send them the DI out of my Schertlers which are pre master volume, then I dial my tone with my amp's master volume off. When I'm happy with the sound that I'm hearing in the mains, and not until then, I bring my stage amp volume in just loud enough to hear what's going on. I also have this trick of announcing over the microphone that that soundman said that he was going to make me sound the best he could. If he doesn't, he looks totally incompetent I rarely sound bad!

Here I am opening up last weekend for The Lowdown Brass Band with partner Ryan Hawthorn (on lapsteel and mandolin).

Last edited by rockabilly69; 08-19-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
You must have misunderstood my comment and/or I didn't make myself clear. (Or maybe it was a different Gary who brought up the Anthem. I personally think that the Matrix is generally a little less feedback prone than the Anthem.) In any event, I think the Matrix system is a good choice for rejecting feedback while getting a good strong bass end in your sound. Furthermore, if you happen to prefer the touch response of a UST to the touch response of an SBT, there's no need for a second pickup in the guitar. You're already getting the best of both worlds (more feedback rejection and your favored touch response) from the one pickup. You're also getting your preferred sound, with the help of the Spectrum DI. (I personally prefer the touch response of an SBT, so I like having an SBT in the guitar for quieter situations where industrial strength feedback rejection isn't needed.)

My only negative comment about the Matrix was that the actual UST seems more vulnerable (than some other USTs) to having the insulation compromised and developing a hum. On the flip side of that observation, its the general consensus on this forum that the Matrix UST doesn't compromise a guitar's acoustic sound as much as the more damage-resistant Element UST or the many brands of co-axial USTs.

Last edited by guitaniac; 08-19-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
You must have misunderstood my comment and/or I didn't make myself clear. I think the Matrix system is a good choice for rejecting feedback while getting a good strong bass end in your sound. Furthermore, if you happen to prefer the touch response of a UST to the touch response of an SBT, there's no need for a second pickup in the guitar. You're already getting the best of both worlds (more feedback rejection and your favored touch response) from the one pickup. You're also getting your preferred sound, with the help of the Spectrum DI. (I personally prefer the touch response of an SBT, so I like having an SBT in the guitar for quieter situations where industrial strength feedback rejection isn't needed.)

My only negative comment about the Matrix was that the actual UST seems more vulnerable (than some other USTs) to having the insulation compromised and developing a hum. On the flip side of that observation, its the general consensus on this forum that the Matrix UST doesn't compromise a guitar's acoustic sound as much as the more damage-resistant Element UST or the many brands of co-axial USTs.
Sorry about that, I was actually replying to Groberts (Gary). Forgot we had two Gary's! The only reason I want a SBT in the guitar as well is due to the fact that I already have a second jack so I would rather fill it than have nothing there and secondly, on many occasions I won't have access to an aura or tonedexter. I would love to be able to plug in and get a natural tone without the need for pedals.

You make a good point about the unplugged tone/Matrix. I actually found that in both cases with the Matrix installed, my Taylor actually sounded better... go figure!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:39 AM

Thanks for the push over the edge. No. Really. I went ahead & ordered a Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend. I wasn't going to get the mic but I know as soon as I put in the non-mic version I'd be wondering how it would be with the mic. I'm kinda used to trying to tame an internal condenser on a stage. I've got a Joe Mills, probably figure out how to swap that at some point, kind of a drag it has to be done on the endpin jack/pre unless you rig some type of cable with jack out of there, we'll see. This guitar had a Matrix Natural 1 in it back in the day and Dual Sourced B Band and a Dual Source Ribbon/Mic and now a Lyric which I actually think sounds decent...as a second source but just haven't found out with what as the first source yet. Anyway, I had been thinking of getting one and checking it out, just needed to see it in type to push me over the edge. Thanks for nothing.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Its interesting that you mentioned your original Matrix system developing a hum. Of the many under-priced guitars which I've bought off ebay over the years, the most common thread has been a Fishman UST system with a hum. Having the shielding compromised and developing a hum seems to be the Achilles heel of the Matrix and Prefix systems.

I tend to like the touch response of a soundboard pickup better than the touch response of a UST. However, if you tend to prefer a bassy sound and you need a high level of feedback rejection, a UST will be the better choice. In my own case, I have two guitars which have both choices available. They are equipped with both a soundboard pickup and a UST, each going to a separate jack.

Fishman has sent me two replacement USTs for free. No questions asked.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Thanks for the push over the edge. No. Really. I went ahead & ordered a Fishman Matrix Infinity Mic Blend. I wasn't going to get the mic but I know as soon as I put in the non-mic version I'd be wondering how it would be with the mic. I'm kinda used to trying to tame an internal condenser on a stage. I've got a Joe Mills, probably figure out how to swap that at some point, kind of a drag it has to be done on the endpin jack/pre unless you rig some type of cable with jack out of there, we'll see. This guitar had a Matrix Natural 1 in it back in the day and Dual Sourced B Band and a Dual Source Ribbon/Mic and now a Lyric which I actually think sounds decent...as a second source but just haven't found out with what as the first source yet. Anyway, I had been thinking of getting one and checking it out, just needed to see it in type to push me over the edge. Thanks for nothing.

Full report needed. With sound clips. For acoustic gigs, I’ve been using Rick Turner Renaissance guitars the last few years. DTAR systems that sound quite good. But my guitars with barn door Aura systems are better, but feed back easier.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:05 AM

Do you think the Spectrum DI would work well with the Fishman F1 Analog pickup system as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The Fishman Aura Spectrum DI also works well with the LR Baggs Element Active system.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:13 AM

Great discussion!

So far my best tone I liked best was a Martin with an onboard Aura system. Gave me the thick and lush sound I prefer (hate brittle and trebley). Since I tend to go through a lot of guitars, I am thinking a system that can transfer to any guitar would be best for me personally. Was considering the Aura Spectrum to fill that role. The Tonedexter requires good condenser mics and seems a bit more complex for me. I am hoping the Aura Spectrum coupled with my new Martin DCPA4 (F1 analog pickup) can give me that same lusg sound that my GPC Aura GT did. I only sold that guitar cause I prefer a dread vs GP shape, but I always loved the sound.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:42 AM

Does anyone know why the Aura Spectrum works best with the Matrix Infinity
pickup system or will it work just as well with any under saddle pickup? Is there something special or "different" about the Matrix?
Old 10-28-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Does anyone know why the Aura Spectrum works best with the Matrix Infinity
pickup system or will it work just as well with any under saddle pickup? Is there something special or "different" about the Matrix?
Nothing special, per se, it's just the piezo they used when they created the images. Fishman went through a process, similar to training a Tonedexter, to create all the images available in the Aura. I believe they recorded all of the guitars with a mic and with a Matrix and created an IR that matched the Matrix to the mic. Therefore, the images will be "most true" if a Matrix is used as that's what the system was made to "correct" so to say.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification