The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2012, 07:00 PM

Default A Possible Dilemma?

First post here; gotta say thanks for letting me be part of this amazing forum. I've learned A LOT from a few months of reading several threads; so great to be aboard finally!

New to guitar; spent six months + learning from Marty Schwartz on Youtube; evenings in front of Leonard and Alfred theory books and now in my 6th week of professional lessons (although I'm 40 and he insists I learn sheet music!)

I'm really interested in blues, rock, and folk and have learned a lil' fingerstyle as well. Well the Fender CD60 I bought my seven year old son isn't on loan to me any longer as my son has dominated it! And after playing a TON at GC I fell in love with the warm room filling richness of Martin and the bright moody and punchy Taylor..but my limit was $500. After an amazing bid on Ebay I recieved a 2001 Martin DC-16GTE (with Rosewood fingerboard - not richlite!) for $730. Brought it to my luthier and the bridge was lifting off (he said it looks great besides that). Now..i'm WAY over budget already and he'll repair the bridge and do a full setup for a reasonable cost..the seller will pay the repair. OR; he offered to pay for me to send it back. (several little nicks and scratches on it as well..not too bad..also with OHSC) (my luthier prefers D'addarrio strings..but he also carries Martin; whats the going thought for a re-string for me?)

What's your thoughts...for $800 total; should I just be smitten with such an amazing guitar? Or; bide my time and keep on the used lookouts for another that isn't damaged...or look more towards the Yamaha (also liked) or composite stuff (T 114ce, X series, etc) I kinda wanted a solid wood piece I could hand my son when he gets older...

Thanks for your time.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:37 PM

get your money back...did the seller tell you up front about the lifting?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Bridge lift is pretty common. If you like the guitar I would have it reglued at the cost off the seller and keep it, especially if the luthier says it looks great other than that. A bridge reglue is no big deal.
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
get your money back...did the seller tell you up front about the lifting?
No..the bridge lift was not mentioned. Thats why he offered to pay the complete repair cost. In the end I end up getting the 2001 DC16 for a final price of $770... Pretty fair...every other pre owned seems to be easily $1k. Like I said..I also loved the Taylor 310CE ...albeit two different sounds..but in the end..to be a new player..strumming Margheritaville, or picking Metallica..Im left thinking..get this 16 repaired, new strings, conditioned..and you'll have a sweet guitar for a long time!?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 PM

Exclamation

Let me know how this turns out...I am very suspicious when there is an event like this unmentioned in a purchase.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:24 PM

So..string choice? Stick w the Martin strings? Or another brand?
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

As for strings the best approach is to try out different kinds and see which you like/don't like. It's all a matter of choice.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:24 AM

Seller appears to be doing the right thing (except for failing to disclose), but I would still send it back. It would be different if you were buying a vintage instrument and you got a great deal.

You mentioned Yamaha. You could easily get a Yamaha LLX16 for that price but it won't say "Martin" on the headstock. You'll have to decide if this bothers you. Which Yammies did you play and like? I'm really smitten by my "lowly" FG700 still.

You could probably find a solid wood Taylor like a DN3 for that price.

In the end, it's up to your ears but since your buying off the Net, sound unheard, you takes your chances.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Guest 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby001 View Post
Seller appears to be doing the right thing (except for failing to disclose), but I would still send it back. It would be different if you were buying a vintage instrument and you got a great deal.

You mentioned Yamaha. You could easily get a Yamaha LLX16 for that price but it won't say "Martin" on the headstock. You'll have to decide if this bothers you. Which Yammies did you play and like? I'm really smitten by my "lowly" FG700 still.

You could probably find a solid wood Taylor like a DN3 for that price.

In the end, it's up to your ears but since your buying off the Net, sound unheard, you takes your chances.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Yeah, Yamaha options: A series, L series and yes the FG with a Fishman Rare Earth install...

BTW the FG series (starting in 2005) has the same inverted L neck joint as the L series...

Last edited by Guest 429; 07-13-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

I would side with your Luthier and go with D'Addarios. For a long time, they were my string of choice.

As to your quandry, it's a tough one. Here, you have a nice guitar with what sounds to be an easy fix. I've had bridges reglued before; it's actually a pretty common steel string ailment. The seller is picking up the tab for the reglue, and that seems to indicate good faith. He's also offered a return--also indicating good faith.

You've gone a bit over your budget, and I feel your pain on that. However, if you amortize that extra 300 dollars over the number of years you are likely to play the guitar (even if you wind up swapping this guitar for another), you'll see that you're still getting a good deal.

As to your decision, there's an old saying about a bird in the hand.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

seems like a good deal for a guitar that goes for over $1600 new. if you love how it sounds, i'd definitely keep it. btw, i love d'addario phosphor bronze, but the world is full of great strings. why not try different ones each string change and discover your preference for your new guitar?

Old 07-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum Ethernaut!

My opinion is that if your guitar technician is confident that he can fix the bridge and do a setup and put the guitar into very good shape, I would go with that approach. He is the expert in this situation.

Regarding strings, I use D'Addario EJ16 strings (PB, light) on my Martin D-35 but my D-35 is pretty bright. Some rosewood Martins benefit from the brightness of 80/20 bronze. One of my favorites for my darker sounding guitars is Martin SP 80/20.

Regards, Glenn
Old 07-13-2012, 01:33 PM

If you trust your luthier and love the guitar, just get it fixed. The bridge may have been lifting just a little and the old owner just didn't notice it. I also don't think going over your budget was bad in this case. Seems as though you got a good deal. Easy for me to say, it's not my money. As for strings, go with whatever your luthier puts on. Trying out different strings is relatively cheap and a fun way to get to know your new guitar. Different types/makers/sizes can bring out things in the guitar you haven't heard before. Most importantly, no matter which way you go, have fun.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethernaut05 View Post
First post here; gotta say thanks for letting me be part of this amazing forum. I've learned A LOT from a few months of reading several threads; so great to be aboard finally!

New to guitar; spent six months + learning from Marty Schwartz on Youtube; evenings in front of Leonard and Alfred theory books and now in my 6th week of professional lessons (although I'm 40 and he insists I learn sheet music!)

I'm really interested in blues, rock, and folk and have learned a lil' fingerstyle as well. Well the Fender CD60 I bought my seven year old son isn't on loan to me any longer as my son has dominated it! And after playing a TON at GC I fell in love with the warm room filling richness of Martin and the bright moody and punchy Taylor..but my limit was $500. After an amazing bid on Ebay I recieved a 2001 Martin DC-16GTE (with Rosewood fingerboard - not richlite!) for $730. Brought it to my luthier and the bridge was lifting off (he said it looks great besides that). Now..i'm WAY over budget already and he'll repair the bridge and do a full setup for a reasonable cost..the seller will pay the repair. OR; he offered to pay for me to send it back. (several little nicks and scratches on it as well..not too bad..also with OHSC) (my luthier prefers D'addarrio strings..but he also carries Martin; whats the going thought for a re-string for me?)

What's your thoughts...for $800 total; should I just be smitten with such an amazing guitar? Or; bide my time and keep on the used lookouts for another that isn't damaged...or look more towards the Yamaha (also liked) or composite stuff (T 114ce, X series, etc) I kinda wanted a solid wood piece I could hand my son when he gets older...

Thanks for your time.
As the seller is offering to make things right either way, I don't think that there was anything nefarious. If the guitar otherwise gets a clean bill of health, the the big one is: do you like the sound and playability of the guitar. If so, don't let the fact that is has a repair scare you off. I've several instruments that cost far more than yours will, with structurally sound repairs. I paid less than the same guitars without the repairs, and thus got a far better instrument for the money then if I had held out for something "pristine." I can sell them for at least what I paid, too, should I ever sell.

If the guitar in question spins your crank, get it fixed and play the snot out of it without looking back.

TW
Old 07-13-2012, 02:03 PM

I'd have to agree with the "return it for a refund" camp. I know you like the Martin, but given that you've said you're new to the guitar, it's possible your tastes may change some as you get more experience. I know that was true for me, and I still consider myself something of a beginner!

There are countless good guitar deals here in the AGF classifieds, one of which may make you forget all about your first love.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge, dc16gte